Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, radarman said:

nice catch.  As someone working with X band that kind of thing happens all the time and it certainly had a familiar look to it.  But one thing I noticed was that the returned power from the cell out on the ocean didn't appear to be changing very much... Could the wind be squeegee-ing away water on the east side, creating some kind of differential radome attenuation?  That'd be interesting.

The wedge of high ZDR is definitely all on the N/NNW side of the display.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

ZScooter is gonna nail the 1-3" and I'm sad Bout it I blame the radiome

Yeah, you are all looking for excuses for why this event is underwhelming and the radar was a convenient out. :lol:

It's just crappy snow rates, the radar dropping out some Z isn't a sign of anything in particular.

16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yes, essentially the radar is putting out full power but some is immediately taken away by the rain/snow on the dome. So when the returns from Metrowest make it back to the radar, it seems as if there was way less power returned than was sent out and the radar thinks there isn't any moderate to heavy precip there. 

How quickly that Z dropped out was a red flag for me. Doesn't usually happen in minutes.

YEah that looked really weird and the snow intensity didn’t respond by ramping down. So I was suspicious as well. 

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The wedge of high ZDR is definitely all on the N/NNW side of the display.

Another thing that made it very obvious was that the various color contours in the imagery all collapsed inward simultaneously the same (similar) distances, indicative of a fixed power loss offset in the entire sector.

Just now, radarman said:

Another thing that made it very obvious was that the various color contours in the imagery all collapsed inward simultaneously the same distances, indicative of a fixed power loss offset in the entire sector.

I'm not sure I can think of a time I've seen it that dramatic during a winter storm. Most of the examples I can think of come from our radar training.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

YEah that looked really weird and the snow intensity didn’t respond by ramping down. So I was suspicious as well. 

It did ramp down dramatically around here at that time... perhaps it was an unlucky coincidence, but haven't seen that effect before.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm not sure I can think of a time I've seen it that dramatic during a winter storm. Most of the examples I can think of come from our radar training.

s band radome attenuation shouldn't be more than about 1dB and it did seem excessive... But yeah I don't have a better explanation and I don't believe the atmosphere just sh*t out that quickly