Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm glad I stayed conservative...I was getting nervous about busting low, but this event blows...and I don't mean the wind.

At least its white around the holidays, but 12/09/05 this is not.

Ya looks like someone dimmed the lights on the lift from S Nh into metro west last half hour. 

• Like 1

Just flipped over within the last hour in Saug. Switched heavy, now light-mod snow. temps holding at 34. I was wondering myself if it was going to do a dance, back and forth, but I think it'staying white. 

24 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Did your old neighborhood (currently mby) have underground power lines? And your current neighborhood? I understand underground lines significantly minimize risks of weather outages, but they're expensive to maintain and repair.

We lost power for ~ 8 hours last night... not fun, especially with an infant.

We have underground lines in our neighborhood, but the problem is you are still connected to the same grid that the overhead wires are connected to, so when a tree falls on a line, we lose power here, too.  It happens more often than you would think.

• Like 1

Just now, Greg said:

I can't believe that potentially the pre Halloween storm will have heavier snow totals vs this northeaster. I had about 5" in that, I'm actually wondering if it's at all possible to get close to that now given this radar.

Who was saying that earlier..: lol

7.5” here.  32.0F.  Still coming down but compacting quite a bit

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

As opposed to the events in which the accumulation of precipitation is not intensity driven?

What I'm overall getting at is "Verticle Vorticity" When the precip rates are the most intense over you, it helps bring down the colder air from above.