Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GOOD CHANCE OF 1ST LIGHT SNOW EVENT VA / nw NC/ MD DEL MONDAY DEC 7

DTWXRISK

1 hour ago, Wonderdog said:

I hope that the EURO is right for no other reason than it seems that in years past, when we could depend on the EURO, we had more snow. lol

Like you always say keep the faith.  We’ll luck into something eventually.  If it wasn’t for my job I would have moved a long time ago. But not much of what I do away from DC.  So I wait.  

3 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

Is there an 06z run of the Euro?  If so how did it look for Monday?

I don’t pay for WM.com, etc but someone posted the 6z Euro in the NE forum...at least through Monday 21z the 0.1” line ran straight through arlington/Alexandria/dc.  Not sure if more ‘fell’ after that though.

44 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I don’t pay for WM.com, etc but someone posted the 6z Euro in the NE forum...at least through Monday 21z the 0.1” line ran straight through arlington/Alexandria/dc.  Not sure if more ‘fell’ after that though.

Precip doesn’t make it north of DC

2A81EB11-C354-4F1C-B7FF-53AF713E0E80.png

One of the reasons why we have ENSEMBLES  Is to check the validity of the operational or deterministic models. In this case the operational 12z GFS is completely flat with only a little bit of precip in Southeast Virginia on the 12Z run.  But as I'm sure you have all seen by now the 12ZGFS ensemble looks exactly like 0z and 6z European runs....

This should be a big clue for everybody that the operational GFS for whatever reason is still completely clueless when it comes to this system on Monday. The differences between the 12z GEFS  and the operational GFS is simply staggering at 48 hours before the event.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DTWXRISK said:

One of the reasons why we have ENSEMBLES  Is to check the validity of the operational or deterministic models. In this case the operational 12z GFS is completely flat with only a little bit of precip in Southeast Virginia on the 12Z run.  But as I'm sure you have all seen by now the 12ZGFS ensemble looks exactly like 0z and 6z European runs....

This should be a big clue for everybody that the operational GFS for whatever reason is still completely clueless when it comes to this system on Monday. The differences between the 12z GEFS  and the operational GFS is simply staggering at 48 hours before the event.

Are the ensembles still based off of the old GFS? If yes, it's less staggering

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

Isn’t it odd to have the Euro and GFS so far apart so close to an event?   I realize it’s how they are treating NS h5 but still just seems peculiar. 

It is but in this case it’s a fairly subtle difference in how they handle some mid level energy that squeezes out some very light snow on the euro v not on the GFS. Synoptically they aren’t as far apart as the surface precip representation suggests. But sometimes the small details matter a lot. 

1 minute ago, dallen7908 said:

Are the ensembles still based off of the old GFS? If yes, it's less staggering

Good question...they did upgrade the gefs and added members but I don’t know if it’s based on the new operational now or not.  Early returns on the upgraded gefs suggest it’s not as overly snow biased compared to the Eps like it used to be. 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Thanks. Fwiw I’ve noticed the gefs seems improved so far this cold season. It’s won its fair share of battles with the EPS so far. That’s not really what we want right now though. Lol 

Yeah, it’s done respectably well. Seems to have lost the major cold bias as well. And more reasonably dispersive.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DTWXRISK said:

Since nobody else posted it:

12z:

1607342400-zla61z5uGeI.png

6z:

1607342400-9dj6CCs9N2Y.png

• H2O unpinned this topic