• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That said...it def makes for some anxious model runs when you are on the line. 

...And when you spent money and drove 6 hours to watch heavy snow haha. I feel like I’ll do fine out here, but I really came up to get into that almost hurricane curved precip band showing up on the data. We’ll see...btw It was pretty interesting feeling the temp difference as I drove NE. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I wish we had more Dec 03 events. It’s so hard to get areas from Mt Greylock to the canal a good hit. Never mind jacks, it’s just more fun when you have a large area involved. Nemo would work too lol.

Dec 03 clobbered BTV to the canal...screwed the shit outta me, though.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wish we had more Dec 03 events. It’s so hard to get areas from Mt Greylock to the canal a good hit. Never mind jacks, it’s just more fun when you have a large area involved. Nemo would work too lol.

Both were very nice events down here too. Dec 2003 ended up well over a foot for much of Long Island (about 12” NYC iirc), and Nemo was up to 30” in the death band that came down from CT (also about 12” in NYC). We would be absolutely wrecked down here from this storm with a 5-8 degree cooler airmass, perfect track and we should get enhanced precip but unfortunately cold rain. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Both were very nice events down here too. Dec 2003 ended up well over a foot for much of Long Island (about 12” NYC iirc), and Nemo was up to 30” in the death band that came down from CT (also about 12” in NYC). We would be absolutely wrecked down here from this storm with a 5-8 degree cooler airmass, perfect track and we should get enhanced precip but unfortunately cold rain. 

I was living in Ledyard ct for that 2003 storm. We kinda got dry slotted, ended up with 8 inches. Not exactly a screw zone but I digress as it seemed like everyone else in every direction got more. I was 19 years old.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Isn’t it kind of weird how TWCs idea of naming winter storms actually worked for that one. When someone brings up that event I don’t remember what day it was just that it’s NEMO. 

15 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

...And when you spent money and drove 6 hours to watch heavy snow haha. I feel like I’ll do fine out here, but I really came up to get into that almost hurricane curved precip band showing up on the data. We’ll see...btw It was pretty interesting feeling the temp difference as I drove NE. 

Well if the data goes sour for the rest of 00z, can you still change it? 

You got all wheel drive on that sucker or at least front wheel drive? You can always chase the band during late afternoon and early evening and then trek back to the hotel later if it looks like the best is east. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Isn’t it kind of weird how TWCs idea of naming winter storms actually worked for that one. When someone brings up that event I don’t remember what day it was just that it’s NEMO. 

It’s literally the only storm name I can remember for a specific storm where I go “Nemo = Feb 2013”. I couldn’t tell you any others...I think Juno may have been Jan 2015 blizzard, but I always thought naming all those was so dumb. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I was living in Ledyard ct for that 2003 storm. We kinda got dry slotted, ended up with 8 inches. Not exactly a screw zone but I digress as it seemed like everyone else in every direction got more. I was 19 years old.

I remember it being quite bandy down here from the second part of the storm. The first overrunning part on 12/5 was supposed to be rain/snow here but was all snow with the R/S line stuck near Philly, so we had a 6-7” head start going into the coastal low part 2. Some areas outside the bands ended up with 10-12” here others with 20”+ in the bands. 12/26/10 was another example of this which I know is a curse/fighting words in this sub forum. :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well if the data goes sour for the rest of 00z, can you still change it? 

You got all wheel drive on that sucker or at least front wheel drive? You can always chase the band during late afternoon and early evening and then trek back to the hotel later if it looks like the best is east. 

Yes. I really need to see all the models do it and then also tick east at 6z and I’ll find a spot where you said. I drive 09 eclipse it’s front wheel drive but isn’t great in the snow obviously. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I think it might be more the nuances of how this is being captured. Sometimes models are a little too progressive with these. 

Yea, that was my other guess...funny, often they trend more progressively at the last moment.

This could cause it to be occluded for N ME

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh I see

It’s slowed the exit by 4 to 6 hrs

CCB curl pounds us for nother 6”

Good Christ. No power

Oh ya! I told one of my best friends in Westford to be prepared for a paste job with no power. He's in the woods on a little lake house surrounded by massive pines as well...if not for Covid I'd be asking him to stay the night. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think it might be more the nuances of how this is being captured. Sometimes models are a little too progressive with these. 

Yeah it’s causing it to close off more at H5 and that tends to slow it down a little bit. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

@ORH_wxman @CoastalWx @Typhoon Tip

Why do you guys think that its slowing down so much...is it the developing NAO?

The LP is deepening more than earlier runs have suggested which could be one of the reasons it has slowed down its progressive motion. It's also slightly further south, a bit more removed from "stronger" upper level flow. Could be a myriad of different reasons but those are two that have stuck out to me.

• Like 2