Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

1 minute ago, frd said:

Certainly some of the looks that we saw back in the winter of 09 10 were incredible. I would never reference since xxxx. 

I am not a DT fan, but I doubt that's exactly what he said. Without checking(because I really don't care enough to) I am guessing he was only considering Nina winters.

29 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I am not a DT fan, but I doubt that's exactly what he said. Without checking(because I really don't care enough to) I am guessing he was only considering Nina winters.

He actually said it’s the best look he’s seen overall since then. He references both 2009-2010 and the blizzard of 96 in the same sentence. He didn’t add any qualifiers.

9 minutes ago, chris21 said:

He actually said it’s the best look he’s seen overall since then. He references both 2009-2010 and the blizzard of 96 in the same sentence. He didn’t add any qualifiers.

Well then he is just another hypester, or a complete idiot(as he loves to call people).

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

A few big hits in the day 8-10 on the Eps 

Just took a look at the mean. SLP and 500 look quite nice to me. Is everyone just being rationale about this being 8 days out and so not talking much about it?

Seems like we could see an evolution also where we hopefully get something around the 28th and that storm moves up under the block as a 50/50 for a chance around the 30th/31st. 

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Seems like it’s his opinion. How do you say someone’s opinion, especially someone with that level of knowledge and expertise, is wrong?

I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say the Atlantic side might be the best we’ve had since January 16. But the PAC is fair at best. Doesn’t seem hostile per se, but also not very supportive. So there’s certainly a big dog chance, but need to time things out west favorably with a more durable NAO block. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Just took a look at the mean. SLP and 500 look quite nice to me. Is everyone just being rationale about this being 8 days out and so not talking much about it?

Seems like we could see an evolution also where we hopefully get something around the 28th and that storm moves up under the block as a 50/50 for a chance around the 30th/31st. 

It’s because an OP model at 200 hours out isn’t painting 18-36” across the area so this supposed blocking pattern is going down in flames even before the pattern sets in.  People need their digital snow fix it seems.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Seems like it’s his opinion. How do you say someone’s opinion, especially someone with that level of knowledge and expertise, is wrong?

He is entitled to his opinion, like anyone else. Given his reputation, it should be informed, and made with proper context though.

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say the Atlantic side might be the best we’ve had since January 16. But the PAC is fair at best. Doesn’t seem hostile per se, but also not very supportive. So there’s certainly a big dog chance, but need to time things out west favorably with a more durable NAO block. 

Yeah that's reasonable, but If he actually said better than 2009-10 as has been suggested... :yikes:

Hype!!

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

It’s because an OP model at 200 hours out isn’t painting 18-36” across the area so this supposed blocking pattern is going down in flames even before the pattern sets in.  People need their digital snow fix it seems.  

Very true and yes folks require the digital fix. Looking at the next 10 days there appears to be two robust Atlantic wave breaking events. Perhaps the Atlantic blocking is underplayed currently despite the great looks by the models. Maybe the block will be even stronger than modeled. I expect medium range changes moving forward. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic