Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

27 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

DT is woofing hard at the 28/29 time frame

I get things look promising but his thoughts are crazy. Best look since 1996? LOL. No models even have a snowstorm right now. This far out in 2016, almost every model was showing a storm and was locked in the rest of the way. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I get things look promising but his thoughts are crazy. Best look since 1996? LOL. No models even have a snowstorm right now. This far out in 2016, almost every model was showing a storm and was locked in the rest of the way. 

I assume he is only comparing the advertised h5 looks to past Ninas, but idk because I couldn't care less what he thinks lol.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Even with blocking it  is fair to say that expectations should be tempered. But, wow, night and day versus last year at this time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Good post. I pointed this out with the last storm. The lack of a block and the resulting transient 50-50 low was one fundamental problem, esp for eastern areas. The confluence was on the move and displaced too far NE. 

I agree to an extent but like every setup it’s a matter of degrees.  Problem is in DEC with warm SST even for Dec you need almost a perfect setup. You are right it wasn’t the PERFECT setup for a DC BIG snow and I never had DC pegged as the epicenter of that storm. I think 3-6 was my original thought from 72 hours.  But at that time guidance had a better mid level pass/close and wasn’t picking up on that crazy mid level warm layer. The actual track was ok for a messy but significant snow. We get caught in the HECS look but most of DC snows aren’t HECS. That look was fine for a 3-6” to ice event in DC had other details gone better.  A better mid level track or earlier phase and DC provably gets a few more inches before that warm layer blasts in...and maybe more on the back as a less westward intrusion takes less time to recover. So if the point is that look was not ideal for a HECS I totally agree. But it was a look that has lead to plenty of good solid snows in and around DC just not HECS level. 

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Gfs snow on Xmas eve  then flurries on Xmas day.  Gotta love it . And really only a few hours above normal Thursday temp wise .Wednesday leading in has cad keeping us cool 

If we can somehow avoid the spike to 50 dews on Thursday we could hold our pack. It’s like 8” of solid you can stand on it concrete with like 1.5 qpf content here.  It won’t melt easy if we can avoid a complete torch somehow. 

• Like 1

One last point regarding super long range. For 3 weeks now guidance suddenly shifts to a central pac Nina ridge look after week 3. But the generally weak AO continues.  But that pac look continues to get kicked in time as the WPO vortex persists. I think the guidance may be keying on the enso SST and missing the north pac pattern suppressing the Nina ridge. I think that north pac pattern may be a result of the very odd (for a Nina) warm waters to the north of the enso regions. We’ve seen this game before where guidance wants to shift the look to a classic enso response week 3+ but it never happens. The last two years were a classic example of this when the weak ninos were offset by other factors. It’s possible we are seeing the same but in out favor this time. Either way even if the pac goes to hell if we keep a -NAM state we could still get periods of opportunity unlike last year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree to an extent but like every setup it’s a matter of degrees.  Problem is in DEC with warm SST even for Dec you need almost a perfect setup. You are right it wasn’t the PERFECT setup for a DC BIG snow and I never had DC pegged as the epicenter of that storm. I think 3-6 was my original thought from 72 hours.  But at that time guidance had a better mid level pass/close and wasn’t picking up on that crazy mid level warm layer. The actual track was ok for a messy but significant snow. We get caught in the HECS look but most of DC snows aren’t HECS. That look was fine for a 3-6” to ice event in DC had other details gone better.  A better mid level track or earlier phase and DC provably gets a few more inches before that warm layer blasts in...and maybe more on the back as a less westward intrusion takes less time to recover. So if the point is that look was not ideal for a HECS I totally agree. But it was a look that has lead to plenty of good solid snows in and around DC just not HECS level. 

I don't wanna hijack the thread, but I am saying that if there been a block leading in, and with better confluence/ more of a suppressive mechanism, the evolution would probably have been different enough that the surface low/850 low tracks would have been further SE, and the temp profile colder, thus a better outcome for places further south and east. Nothing to do with HECS, just in general, underscoring the importance of a -NAO/ 50-50 combo, making the timing less critical. Ofc there are other aspects(upstream) that had it played out a little differently, could have also led to a better outcome.

8 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Are you saying that maybe the cutter on the 10 day gfs might not work out?

Imo global operationals have become really amazing at giving a generally accurate (so long as you don’t expect dead on balls accurate details) look at synoptic setups once inside about 150 hours or so. Longer leads in some incredibly stable blocking patterns and less in volition ones but in general once inside 150 you get a decent idea what the general look will be. That’s an amazing thing considering day 6 used to be a complete crapshoot not long ago.  But past 150 they go haywire fast. Chaos and exponential errors start to take over. So imo what’s more important then looking at the op output past 150 is to look at the general H5 pattern at about day 5/6 then extrapolate where that SHOULD go based on history. That is where the “woofs” are coming from. The look day 5/6 has a LOT of potential regardless of how any one op run handles the details after. 

• Like 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic