Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Everything phased kind of later and more disjointed than originally modeled. The more disjointed is what cost New England from getting widespread 3+ feet. 

The later and further north phase/development is what screwed further south (like mid-Atlantic) from getting snow at all. 

Models are always seem too aggressive with phasing. Back then and today. That hasn’t changed much imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

wait what? Were you in Southbury CT? or NYC?

I mean we were always forcast to get slightly less in extreme southern CT than say the litchfield hills but having a 54hr snow storm with every p-type thats frozen and 12-18" at the end is never brutal imo. I finished with over a foot. Sure 3 feet would be nice but we werent expecting that. I remember the zones were 12-18" for here and thats where we finished.

Heres the map:03_04.01_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.ea0540ca34b08a66d2785b88be3538ea.jpg

This is a funny video referring to that storm as well: 

You can see forecasts for Wills area was 1-3 ft and 20-30" for around Worcester. But southern CT and your area was more like 12-24. 

NJ. We were forecasted for 2-3FT leading up and it just vanished the day of.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Absolutely horrific. 

Yeah thats jumping off a bridge worthy in NJ, we lucked out in CT, could have been a lot worse. Getting 12-18 instead of 12-24 is not that bad at all, i still love it to this day never experienced anything like it. A storm that started as light snow late Sunday morning and ended as large dendys Tuesday Night around midnight.

NJSnow-05Mar01.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh’ how ‘Berg and I pray for such outcomes! 

I was living in Westfield at that point.

What kind of system was it that dropped over 20" in 9 hours on me there back in 2001?  Hardest snow I ever encountered (I was only 12 for '78--my memories are of the aftermath than the rates).

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We need Ekster's account watching CG hit the Needham com towers off of Rt 128 while he was at a wedding at the Sheraton drinking  Zimas.

Ha he told that story at the conferences a few times. Always epic. He’s like “one minute it’s like 2 mile vis with sleet or rain mixed in and then we pop outside and it’s 200 yard vis with CGs hitting all around us”

Just now, moneypitmike said:

What kind of system was it that dropped over 20" in 9 hours on me there back in 2001?  Hardest snow I ever encountered (I was only 12 for '78--my memories are of the aftermath than the rates).

Prob Feb 5th 2001. Largest flakes ive ever seen the size of baseballs. It came in like a wall around 10am and we got 7" by early afternoon.

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

Feb 5, 2001 miller b. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ha he told that story at the conferences a few times. Always epic. He’s like “one minute it’s like 2 mile vis with sleet or rain mixed in and then we pop outside and it’s 200 yard vis with CGs hitting all around us”

And the one guy trying to clear his car and looking up when lighting zaps above his head. 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thats my experience with Feb 5 2001, not sure if you are talking about Mar or Feb there. I was only a young teenager but it really got me excited about weather. I had no idea it could thunder and lightning while it was snowing let alone CG strikes. I was outside and a CG strike hit my neighbors back yard and thunder so loud it felt like a summertime convective storm. Crazy heavy sleet and snow followed by several more CG and CC strikes.

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There was one storm in either 2001 or 2002  where the H7 low had a perfect track for the CRV.  I was not out here at the time but I remember Will talking about it. 

It's that same Feb 01 storm probably.  Definitely rivalled Feb 13 for snow in the valley except somewhat more localized.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Wasn't there one in February 2000 too that just kept tracking westward on the models in the final 48 hours and hit a similar area?  I distinctly remember an event we were going to whiff in ALB and for some reason the memory is very vivid of skiing Whiteface that day and coming home to see the ETA was all the sudden hammering eastern New York and adjacent western New England.  The event I'm thinking of had some insane meso-band from the Berkshires to SE of ALB and into the lower Hudson Valley I think.

47 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Bruce Schwoegler left nothing on the table. Great storm up here. Feb 01 too.

45 minutes ago, radarman said:

Pretty sure it's 1/30/00.  You were way off ;)

500mb-0600Z-31Jan00.gif

I’m an idiot.  It was Feb ‘01.  Dendrite was probably in that same mesoband I remember coming through eastern NY state SE of ALB.  It was that same winter, I just didn’t flip the calendar year in my post :lol:.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m an idiot.  It was Feb ‘01.  Dendrite was probably in that same mesoband I remember coming through eastern NY state SE of ALB.  It was that same winter, I just didn’t flip the calendar year in my post :lol:.

Either way... The last week of January 2000 featured 2 sizable storms for the Capital region.  They were probably pushing 2+ feet OTG. Maybe more in places.

47 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Thank goodness March 2001 happened just before I started paying attention to winter weather. I would've been heartbroken.

You have no idea. I signed up on Wright weather and the weather channel forums (they were briefly a thing) in 2000. My first experience tracking was the dec 30 2000 storm, but 2001 will never be forgotten down here in philly. I didn’t look at weather models until the next year, but I remember reading it on the forums of how insane they were. I was 14 at the time, schools were cancelled for two days for no reason because the hype was so real and the AVN model kept showing snow and had done well during a few other storms during the season that some outlets, looking at you John Bolaris of NBc10, who still held onto 6-10 like the night before the main low (there were two Parts of that storm)...

I remember joe bastardi’s crazy newsletter hyping it up, ji & nor’easter posting about it on wright weather, and unfortunately I remember the night the models suddenly swung northward. 

anyone remember gary grays website? This storm reminds me of reading his newsletter. I forget if that was his name. Man 2-3 days before the storm there was legit talks of 30-40” in philadelphia. 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That SPC discussion sounded yummy . Surface low 125 miles south of Nantucket drifting north w 1-2”/hr rates continuing for hours . Yes, please 

• Like 1