Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Well the Mar 4-6 blizzard. Wasnt great for that area but thats about it for snow.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/list.phtml

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2011/Weather.html

Thanks.  Quite forgettable.  Wasn’t that much into tracking weather at that point in my life.  Looks like 1-3” tops.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Everything phased kind of later and more disjointed than originally modeled. The more disjointed is what cost New England from getting widespread 3+ feet. 

The later and further north phase/development is what screwed further south (like mid-Atlantic) from getting snow at all. 

I was forecasted to get 2-3 feet.

I got 5 inches

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Same thing. 2-3ft turns to 2-3 inches.

Jan 15 was an epic bust for Upton , Euro and Nam. Euro and Nam had 1-2 feet and Upton on their snow map had 24 + for NYC the day before with a scary and stating " Dangerous crippling blizzard is on the way "

I got 10 inches

30   DEC  2000   was huge for me .. I   said   its  would  miss   DC PHL  and   got yelled at     for 36   hours  before the  event 

hence   the     rule .. well developed  MILLER  B   ALWAYS  and I mean ALWAYS   fook over   someone on the  west and or NW  side  of it 

see March 2001  as well

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Jan 15 was an epic bust for Upton , Euro and Nam. Euro and Nam had 1-2 feet and Upton on their snow map had 24 + for NYC the day before with a scary and stating " Dangerous crippling blizzard is on the way "

I got 10 inches

you got lucky with that 10, if it werent for that odd rogue band that hovered over LI and NYC that wasnt forecast you would have gotten 2" like a lot of NJ did. 

I only picked up 7.5" from the main event.

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’ve looped 03/01 so many times and I still scratch my head how that didn’t put down 2-3ft in SNE. 

It did put down that much from like Ray’s current location over to ORH and the northern Berkshires...but yeah, surprising it wasn’t further south with the 20+ amounts. 

It was just a bit disorganized. You can see how the phase is a little bit sloppy where the sfc low gets pretty Far East and then has to be yanked all the way back west. It kept the WCB and CCB from really getting in sync properly. 

Again, still a pretty big storm even for CT (12-18 except in a few spots far SW and far SE) but it definitely could have been considerably bigger. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Anyone remember Jan 2008?

Another epic bust in my area

Forecasted to get 6-12 inches with a heavy snow warning and I didn't even get a flake.

i think thats the one im always trying to remember...there was an epic epic bust worse than jan 15 or Apr 2003 or anything i can remember...we were forecast 7-14" here and we ended up with some RN/SN showers with 0 accumulaiton. It was an epic bust. its probably that one.

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

you got lucky with that 10, if it werent for that odd rogue band that hovered over LI and NYC that wasnt forecast you would have gotten 2" like a lot of NJ did. 

I only picked up 7.5" from the main event.

Yes I remember that band. We were so lucky. 

At least Jan 16 made me forget about Jan 15. Got 30 inches here with 26 hours of snow.

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

i think thats the one im always trying to remember...there was an epic epic bust worse than jan 15 or Apr 2003 or anything i can remember...we were forecast 7-14" here and we ended up with some RN/SN showers with 0 accumulaiton. It was an epic bust. its probably that one.

The models had the low bombing right under LI the whole time. The storm ended  up bombing at the SNE latitude. 

Temps were supposed to drop from the 40s into the 30s as the low started to bomb but it never happened.

3 minutes ago, DTWXRISK said:

monster  -NAO   if its  correct

gefs_z500_anom_noram_384.png

That’s definitely been a theme on today’s guidance...started trending toward that a day or two ago but it seems like today the models are really bullish on it. EPS has it too....though the EPS doesn’t have as much western CONUS ridging as the GEFS which would be nice to see. 

5 minutes ago, DTWXRISK said:

30   DEC  2000   was huge for me .. I   said   its  would  miss   DC PHL  and   got yelled at     for 36   hours  before the  event 

hence   the     rule .. well developed  MILLER  B   ALWAYS  and I mean ALWAYS   fook over   someone on the  west and or NW  side  of it 

see March 2001  as well

I remember you posting about Mar 2001 back on the ne.weather newsgroup. I think you had like a dozen mid-Atlantic posters ready to kill you in that thread, lol.

I didn’t post yet back then but that’s when I really started following the online weather community. 

11 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I got 10 inches

Euro tends to choke for the nyc metro area lol for some reason. Jan 15 (too far nw), Jan 16 (too far se), Mar 17, and there has been some others as well. Even Boxing 2010 it had some wacky couple runs that shoved the system too far east. Snow forecasting can be razor thin though but you’d think the best scoring model would come through in big EC events like it used to. Jan 96 I recall it had it locked for days. That consistency seems to have either faded or we are all hyper focused on 5 mile radiuses amd thus not allowing much margin for error. Maybe a combo of both. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You ever wonder what 1978 would’ve looked like on today’s models?  Could it have been 5-6 feet, that verifies as 36-48”.  I always wonder about that... how storms of yore would’ve been represented in the lead time with today’s models.

I sometimes wonder what radar looked for certain events. 1888 comes to mind. Probably would have looked like a hurricane coming on shore. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I sometimes wonder what radar looked for certain events. 1888 comes to mind. Probably would have looked like a hurricane coming on shore. 

I wonder what what totals would have been if 1888 occured today. Kocin has said that they are likey wayyy underdone as they were measuring depth at the end especially NYC based on the pictures and info we have he thinks they should have way more maybe 30" or more. and if the depth was 45" here, were probably looking at 60+ easily measuring in 6 hr increments.

38 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Some guys around my age actually cried when it busted. Probably 11-13 years old at the time, so it's understandable. Also I was told that John Bolaris will never live down all his hyping of that March storm that never happened.

I lived near Baltimore at the time and grew up there, and I do remember the December 2000 storm. I wasn't emotionally invested in it since I was not yet into winter weather, but that was actually another bust in the mid-Atlantic. I think the forecasts called for 8-12", something major, but the precip shield ended up being so compact that it completely bypassed the area. Philly ended up with 9" and was right near the edge, but Wilmington received only an inch or two. DC and Baltimore did not get a single flake. And then a few months later we all know what happened. 

I actually texted Ji on AIM the night of the December 30 event around like 3am. Don’t ask me why I remember this, but he was depressed at the fact that there were clear skies at DC. I was up all night watching the radar. Fell asleep thinking we were screwed. Of course I fell asleep right as it started.

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I wonder what what totals would have been if 1888 occured today. Kocin has said that they are likey wayyy underdone as they were measuring depth at the end especially NYC based on the pictures and info we have he thinks they should have way more maybe 30" or more. and if the depth was 45" here, were probably looking at 60+ easily measuring in 6 hr increments.

Jesus lol. Gotta wonder what the H5 charts looked like to allow something like that to occur.