Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, Wentzadelphia said:

Jesus lol. Gotta wonder what the H5 charts looked like to allow something like that to occur. 

Perhaps the closest recent event was the 2/25/10 retrograde bomb that gave Central Park 21” and parts of upstate NY over 36” but it likely was a warmer storm and a little faster moving than Mar 1888. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I couldn't care less if I got 20" in one storm or 20" in one week from multiple systems.  Almost prefer the latter.

I used to prefer 20” in one but the idea of like 3 storms in a week totalling 20” makes it a festive week compared to a just a festive day or night...so yea, agree. 

Id also rather have 4 6" events than one 24" event. Say for the month of December. I think most in NYC would agree that 15-16 was a shit winter and they got a lot more than average from one storm, but i dont think theyd be saying that if they got like a few small events in december, jan and feb spread out mostly evenly.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Id also rather have 4 6" events than one 24" event. Say for the month of December. I think most in NYC would agree that 15-16 was a shit winter and they got a lot more than average from one storm, but i dont think theyd be saying that if they got like a few small events in december, jan and feb spread out mostly evenly.

Depends on other factors. 

If it's one HECS in an otherwise warm winter, while getting 4 moderate storms happens in a sustained cold period, then yeah I'd agree. But if each of those 6" storms melt in a day or two, I don't see that as any better than just getting one HECS.

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Jan 15 was an epic bust for Upton , Euro and Nam. Euro and Nam had 1-2 feet and Upton on their snow map had 24 + for NYC the day before with a scary and stating " Dangerous crippling blizzard is on the way "

I got 10 inches

I never bought the blizzard for NYC in that...called BS on EURO.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It did put down that much from like Ray’s current location over to ORH and the northern Berkshires...but yeah, surprising it wasn’t further south with the 20+ amounts. 

It was just a bit disorganized. You can see how the phase is a little bit sloppy where the sfc low gets pretty Far East and then has to be yanked all the way back west. It kept the WCB and CCB from really getting in sync properly. 

Again, still a pretty big storm even for CT (12-18 except in a few spots far SW and far SE) but it definitely could have been considerably bigger. 

I had about 20" in Wilmington, but I think my current spot in Methuen had like 30".

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It did put down that much from like Ray’s current location over to ORH and the northern Berkshires...but yeah, surprising it wasn’t further south with the 20+ amounts. 

It was just a bit disorganized. You can see how the phase is a little bit sloppy where the sfc low gets pretty Far East and then has to be yanked all the way back west. It kept the WCB and CCB from really getting in sync properly. 

Again, still a pretty big storm even for CT (12-18 except in a few spots far SW and far SE) but it definitely could have been considerably bigger. 

there were model runs showing an absolute monster. a big CCB rotting over the region for days

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Euro tends to choke for the nyc metro area lol for some reason. Jan 15 (too far nw), Jan 16 (too far se), Mar 17, and there has been some others as well. Even Boxing 2010 it had some wacky couple runs that shoved the system too far east. Snow forecasting can be razor thin though but you’d think the best scoring model would come through in big EC events like it used to. Jan 96 I recall it had it locked for days. That consistency seems to have either faded or we are all hyper focused on 5 mile radiuses amd thus not allowing much margin for error. Maybe a combo of both. 

It wasn't the EURO was too far nw in 2015, but it phased too fast....so if anything, too far sw.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It wasn't the EURO was too far nw in 2015, but it phased too fast....so if anything, too far sw.

I meant it gave the goods too far nw or too far sw as well for that matter. Each east tick inside 48hr though, the writing was on the wall, nothing else was phasing it that quickly (who cares about the nam) and in a progressive flow we knew it wasn’t going to happen that soon. 

• Like 1