Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

54 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

:lmao: I’ve been around on the boards longer than you’ve been alive son.

Cmon man... I'm 49 in 2 days. Your kind.of acting like a child if you are old as you say you are. Smarten up, mature up, and be an example to the younger crew on here ( simce you are older tham most you should have some wisdom ). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It was actually the best with regard to the tropics this past season.

In the far upper reaches of the atmosphere it is top-notch for sure. I could see the Ukie doing well with wound-up lows. Sort of like when you needed a model showing a coastal coming north you would break out the NOGAPS and CRAS. The Ukie loves taking monster lows off the coast and slamming them into Portugal. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

In the far upper reaches of the atmosphere it is top-notch for sure. I could see the Ukie doing well with wound-up lows. Sort of like when you needed a model showing a coastal coming north you would break out the NOGAPS and CRAS. The Ukie loves taking monster lows off the coast and slamming them into Portugal. 

I totally get what you mean...it seems to arrive at its good verification score via mean of crazy uncle extremes more often than not.

12z GFS coming around to “reasonable” but still looks too progressive over eastern CONUS. Doesn’t reflect a -NAO/-AO (unless of course there is a false signal, which I see as unlikely at this point). Slower, deeper, and further south is how I expect this to correct in future runs (with subtlety of course)...

I still think this evolves more to a Miller B look,  with very dynamic cyclogenesis close to the BM. 

Either way, very excited to finally have a big storm potential to watch with serious interest. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

12z GFS coming around to “reasonable” but still looks too progressive over eastern CONUS. Doesn’t reflect a -NAO/-AO (unless of course there is a false signal, which I see as unlikely at this point). Slower, deeper, and further south is how I expect this to correct in future runs (with subtlety of course)...

I still think this evolves more to a Miller B look,  with very dynamic cyclogenesis close to the BM. 

Either way, very excited to finally have a big storm potential to watch with serious interest. 

We preach .. we Pope. She’s coming 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

In the 1990s through about 2004 or '05 ... one could count on the over-under flopping negative enough in these marginal late mid range modeled setups, where the thermal layout looked like +2 with those 0C hole punches on colorful charts?   - lol...

Nowadays, as I opined half tongue in cheek a few days ago ...it seems more and more the flop direction tends to positive by crucial decimals and we miss out. 

I also get what you mean by the -AO .... that plus the +PNA really should "slow things down" a little, but I also think those indices battle with the speedy hemisphere thing that kicked in about 10 year ago and has gone on to set commercial airline ground speed records routinely every winter since...  I think one flight, LGA to Hethro ...I think it was 3 hr and 51 minutes but don't quote me... maybe it 5 and change...but, but the plane was said to be doing sound speed relative to surface due to 200 kts sustain laminar flow and they had to open the throttle to maintain lift...  wow. 

Anyway, I also wonder if the 'west' vs 'east' NAO orientation modulates things - in fact we know it does...how much or how little ?