Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

something like that affect... metaphorically speaking of course but yeah.  

We're either going full in our f'n around with how to weasel out lol

Yes. Provisional solution as the model gravitates towards reality....thing is, this one is moving in the opposite direction, as the inverted deals are usually trending away from the storm.

You know what this reminds me of ? 

In 2003, early Dec we had a southerly gale that pushed nearly 70 Dps clear to Manchester NH...replete with sheeting rains going sideways under street lamps... and even stopped raining long enough to just be very windy and spooky warm...then, a ribbon echo squall ends around midnight... 

two days later, we had a windex snow event that made headlines for how 1.5" of snow burst in temps that crashed from 36F to 19F over and that many hours, ... flashed I-95 and gridded eastern Mass ... 3 days later, ...well - 20" over Metrowest... 

Not saying this transition is reduxing that - no...but, but it reminds me if we get these 60+ DPs and this evening thrashing ... then, say the deal on the weekend is a cold advection pivot point, then a few clicks later that coastal manages to set up - does at least spatially remind me of that . 

spatially - I mean...we aren't going to be 9 F prior to any coastal in 8 days hahaha...  that'd be a neat trick

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know what this reminds me of ? 

In 2003, early Dec we had a southerly gale that pushed nearly 70 Dps clear to Manchester NH...replete with sheeting rains going sideways under street lamps... and even stopped raining long enough to just be very windy and spooky warm...then, a ribbon echo squall ends around midnight... 

two days later, we had a windex snow event that made headlines for how 1.5" of snow burst in temps that crashed from 36F to 19F over and that many hours, ... flashed I-95 and gridded eastern Mass ... 3 days later, ...well - 20" over Metrowest... 

Not saying this transition is reduxing that - no...but, but it reminds me if we get these 60+ DPs and this evening thrashing ... then, say the deal on the weekend is a cold advection pivot point, then a few clicks later that coastal manages to set up - does at least spatially remind me of that . 

spatially - I mean...we aren't going to be 9 F prior to any coastal in 8 days hahaha...  that'd be a neat trick

Peabody, Salem and Danvers actually had over 3'....oes assist.

I even measured 26" at my dad's in Woburn center, but 8 mi nw in my hood.....12". lol

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I even measured 26" at my dad's in Woburn center, but 8 mi nw in my hood.....12". lol

Yup...I was living in Winchester then, which as you know is just 4 or 5 miles down Washington street from Woburn there...  about 24" in our driveway... 

I don't think there was snow on the ground at xmass - but don't quote me...

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup...I was living in Winchester then, which as you know is just 4 or 5 miles down Washington street from Woburn there...  about 24" in our driveway... 

I don't think there was snow on the ground at xmass - but don't quote me

Yea, there was a sharp subsidence "bone zone" beyond rt 128...2003 scarred me. PD II 10 months prior pulled the same shit-

• Haha 1

That winter went on to be a syrupy cold winter ..wow.  It was a west based -NAO pulser - one of the last great NAO winters where NAO actually did mean storms and cold because it modulated the right way... Fickle index. But I remember -9 F on numerous mornings.  That was the year ( early Feb ) that a "little Critter that bites" swathed 10" of "flurries" along the eastern end of the Pike, with 6" on either side out to 30 or so miles...out of nowhere sending NWS scrambling to now-cast a warning event -

That winter went on to be a syrupy cold winter ..wow.  It was a west based -NAO pulser - one of the last great NAO winters where NAO actually did mean storms and cold because it modulated the right way... Fickle index. But I remember -9 F on numerous mornings.  That was the year ( early Feb ) that a "little Critter that bites" swathed 10" of "flurries" along the eastern end of the Pike, with 6" on either side out to 30 or so miles...out of nowhere sending NWS scrambling to now-cast a warning event -

No, that was Feb 7, 2003....one year earlier.

The '03-'04 winter was more frustration than anything for snow outside of the 12/5-7/03 event (even where I was, it was frustrating, lol), but it definitely had the epic January 2004 cold. The winter before in 2002-2003 seemed to go right every time there was a chance. That was also a brutally cold winter, but didn't quite have the peak cold that 2004 did.

The sensible appeal of that winter reminds me of 2013-2014. The respective H5 composites probably wouldn't match well, but just in the sense that I hear about how great they were, yet each lacked big snowfall where I am. January 2004 just an epic chap stick advertisement....record cold with no mositure.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The sensible appeal of that winter reminds me of 2013-2014. The respective H5 composites probably wouldn't match well, but just in the sense that I hear about how great they were, yet each lacked big snowfall where I am. January 2004 just an epic chap stick advertisement....record cold with no mositure.

I think Will may be right - I think we need to bump our recollect one year earlier - haha... my bad.  OH, wait never mind - 

f me!

With the caveat that the weeklies have been almost clueless so far this cold season.....it looks like they are pretty solid through week 3 with a colder pattern....then they break things down to a more classical La Nina look with eastern ridging.

Though my guess is that if the EPS trends today are real, then Thursday's weeklies will show a more amplified pattern lasting longer.

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

With the caveat that the weeklies have been almost clueless so far this cold season.....it looks like they are pretty solid through week 3 with a colder pattern....then they break things down to a more classical La Nina look with eastern ridging.

Though my guess is that if the EPS trends today are real, then Thursday's weeklies will show a more amplified pattern lasting longer.

Hopefully we “break down” to something more normal and average versus this current crap. 

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think Will may be right - I think we need to bump our recollect one year earlier - haha... my bad.  OH, wait never mind - 

f me!

You were right on the deep cold 2003-04.  I think somehow the years got commingled in your recollection?  Once we got past the great December blizzard for NYC-BOS it was mainly cold and dry through January.   One night it got down to -7 at Logan and a thin cloud layer probably prevented-10.

Just now, weathafella said:

You were right on the deep cold 2003-04.  I think somehow the years got commingled in your recollection?  Once we got past the great December blizzard for NYC-BOS it was mainly cold and dry through January.   One night it got down to -7 at Logan and a thin cloud layer probably prevented-10.

Yup. Jan 04...useless super cold. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, weathafella said:

And points north.  We had 24" of 14:1 pow with huge drifting, one of only 4 events reaching all blizzard criteria at my place.  2004 was my driest January though '13 and '14 had less snow thanks to cutters.  On Jan. 14-15, 2004, Farmington co-op recorded highs of -8 and -6, tied for 3rd and 5th lowest maxima since 1893.  (And it was windy enough to keep temps from dropping much in the overnights.) 

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

18-24” BTV and local area up here in that one.

Think BTV had like 50” that month, Dec 2003.  My first winter up here and everyone was like you’ll be screwed in the Champlain Valley... then two 18”+ events and a 10” thundersnow paste job later... I thought those events were the norm lol.

57 minutes ago, weathafella said:

My school actually closed due to it being too cold

13 minutes ago, TheCloser24 said:

January 2004 had a few Alberta Clippers and there was a significant coastal storm at the end of month that brought 6”+ of snow to SNE.

The end of January storm was garbage northeast of about a BDL-PVD line. Storm ran into a brick wall. I think we had about 3-4” of arctic sand from it. Ditto PVD and BOS did even worse. 

It was a good storm though for the south coast and the southwest half of CT where they cleaned up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

word!  I just got the 'little critter' in Feb on the wrong year but the other stuff was right -

For some reason I always wanna put that damn thing in 04' ...not sure why -  ..heh, it's not the first time he's had to correct me on that sucker.   Oh I imagine 20 years from now it'll be 'No, that was Feb 03, the previous year'

word!  I just got the 'little critter' in Feb on the wrong year but the other stuff was right -

For some reason I always wanna put that damn think in 04' ...not sure why -  ..heh, it's not the first time he's had correct me on that.   Oh I imagine 20 years from now it'll be 'No, that was Feb 03, the previous year'

It’s all good. I have a sickness in remembering storm dates like one would remember birthdays of loved ones.

• Haha 5

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It’s all good. I have a sickness in remembering storm dates like one would remember birthdays of loved ones.

...it's funny how we all got our thing -

i have an uncanny memory for patterns and indices ... but dates ? - luke warm if not cool on those -

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wife: “Will, did you forget what today is?”

”Hmm, let’s see... no major weather events come to mind... snow, rain, floods... nope. Just another day honey. :)”

Wife: “I’m going to live with my mother.”

• Haha 4