• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Fwiw, the Euro system we're talking about is 12/7-8....NOT the 12/5 junk system.

The 12/5 system on this run doesn't even really materialize...the southern stream gets cutoff in the southwest and we see a weak low develop almost overhead in NNE on 12/5. The reason the GGEM has a huge soaker for 12/5 is that it doesn't bury the SW energy like the GFS and Euro do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's been some awful takes in here. I don't see a reversion to the AK pig pattern at all. It doesn't mean we are going to definitely get snow, but we have a legit chance for events unlike when a pig pattern where the chances are remote.

Didn't ask me but ... heh, probably combines two primary motivational factors - 

( Conditionalized expectations    +    recent events  ) / 2   =  impatience and losing site of normalcy ...  

The left side of that addition is formulated or encouraged over the recent years since ...really 2000, where 50% + autumns have featured air mass supportive, or outright pulling off...early snow events.  You know?  It's like entitled now...   It reminds me of Wright Weather and early Eastern BB... and the mid Atlantic entitlement after Jan 1996.  Five years later ... when internet social media emerged, they popped on the scene clearly ( and "justly") jilted because they weren't getting the snows that NYC was -  I can believe we are closing in on 15 years since that era - wow... man.   Heh I guess it's a bit of abstract reference at this point - 

But it doesn't help that recently we 4-6" ed another Halloween ... it seems ever since then there's been this palpable undisclosed 'okay, let's do this' and every time the pattern doesn't... you get grousing to make up for the missing wind gusts...  I guess that call that "guffing" lol... 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Fwiw, the Euro system we're talking about is 12/7-8....NOT the 12/5 junk system.

The 12/5 system on this run doesn't even really materialize...the southern stream gets cutoff in the southwest and we see a weak low develop almost overhead in NNE on 12/5. The reason the GGEM has a huge soaker for 12/5 is that it doesn't bury the SW energy like the GFS and Euro do.

Exactly. The cmc had this idea last night which is what the euro shows now. Models are having an extremely extremely tough time on how much energy gets left behind on the southern stream and how far south the northern branch drops. I swear each run every model is changing drastically

53 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That upcoming event is certainly much more uncertain than this current POS thing over the region. The models had this one locked-in for seemingly weeks.

lol, I was noticing that as far as the GFS operational run goes... the deeper layer/mid level vortex position over Lake Huron has been pegged there clicking back some 15 ( not kidding ) cycles...   ( Trop. TB)   literally...  It's like, clone-clone-clone-clone-clone.... all the way back, offering zero hope.  

The GFS is probably not as bad as we think as a model huh    

3 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Break out the shorts on Christmas 

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is what I was reading, but that is probably referring more to the Pacific. Obviously the PNA won't last....a lot will depend on the arctic.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I said last week that second half of the month looked to be heading to more Nina look. But that doesn't mean shorts on Christmas. 

He left this in the comments section of his post:

Replying to
What does this mean for weather around Christmas time? If the shift happens, we'll probably see more of a winter pattern for Canada and the western two thirds of the U.S. with anomalous warmth building across the South-Southeast and east coast.

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I have always been on the "after 12/5 junk system", so this is fair game. Ideal period is later, but...

1 minute ago, leo2000 said:

I wouldn't say it is splitting there...more like taking some punches. Getting elongated a little bit and also displaced. That's good enough though to get some good blocking/ridging into the AK region and north of there if it holds.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

EPS has a low offshore too. Clearly not like the op run, but signal is there. 

Will, verbatim that would be a Walpole whalloper and catpaws here. LOL. 

I have a feeling you might be breaking out in a cold sweat if it evolved like that....watching cars with blocks of snow on them driving east on 93 past Blue Hill while the cars driving west are bare.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My kind of event :devilsmiley:

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I have a feeling you might be breaking out in a cold sweat if it evolved like that....watching cars with blocks of snow on them driving east on 93 past Blue Hill while the cars driving west are bare.

Just toughens you up. :weep: