Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, Chrisrotary12 said:

Once you all realize that it doesn't snow anymore. You will all be much happier. Like the Patriots, we had a good run for a couple decades. Sure it'll snow occasionally just like the Pats will win a few games, but it's over for a while. Get used to it. (grabs bottle of whiskey at 9am).

Hopefully we can grab a bootleg NAO to salavage medicority, and name it Can Newton.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This is encouraging to see. Certainly good to have to prevent a pig anyways. The 50mb vortex getting some jabs.

image.png.7f0f9ef9bceba44bba93d4dbac9c5308.png

image.png.3fc78805f2d755648a549b2279171b1c.png

Yep...you can see it at the H5 level a little bit too....look at the height trends N of the AK in the 11-15 loop....lot of rising heights up there.

• Like 1

Scott ... I think - depending on one's tech ... - this weekend is more than mere 'voodoo'  

Tho I am not entirely certain what you mean by that?  I think it means plausible but unlikely ??  

Either way, I don't get to see the EPS -based index derivatives, so taken fwiw ... my assessment is purely GEFs oriented.  That said, this weekend has some spotential for significant storminess ..100 or so hrs .. is already part of the same "correcting" circulation medium.   Not talking a major event or anything though for that D4.5 range but ... it's like we are rolling with weighted dice more favorably from now through Dec 10 because imm blw -

...Yes to the latter. Whether that is another inland cordillera runner, or PD redux or an asteroid impact ... just sayn' an active pattern.   This is actually hugely signaled really by the 2-week declination of the AO/NAO ...apparently moving in a coupled fashion, landing on the top of the total +2.5 SD PNA correction that frankly doesn't really immediately collapse out there at the end of week two but merely is concertedly slumping off ... That could emerge more positive in the member blend.

The long of the short on all that is ... that a negatively differentiating polar index that is armed by the NAO as being a cold delivery source, with an H.A. signal ( at mid latitudes ...) with the PNA in tandem is, in my mind, more substantial than mere plausible already underway so ... mm...

23 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We haven’t even started winter and Ray is already forecasting the grinch. 

Well, both 2007 and 2008 had one....on the brighter side, maybe we can push it back since that type of gradient pattern may set up a bit later in the month, than those years.

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Scott ... I think - depending on one's tech ... - this weekend is more than mere 'voodoo'  

Tho I am not entirely certain what you mean by that?  I think it means plausible but unlikely ??  

Either way, I don't get to see the EPS -based index derivatives, so taken fwiw ... my assessment is purely GEFs oriented.  That said, this weekend has some spotential for significant storminess ..100 or so hrs .. is already part of the same "correcting" circulation medium.   Not talking a major event or anything though for that D4.5 range but ... it's like we are rolling with weighted dice more favorably from now through Dec 10 because imm blw -

...Yes to the latter. Whether that is another inland cordillera runner, or PD redux or an asteroid impact ... just sayn' an active pattern.   This is actually hugely signaled really by the 2-week declination of the AO/NAO ...apparently moving in a coupled fashion, landing on the top of the total +2.5 SD PNA correction that frankly doesn't really immediately collapse out there at the end of week two but merely is concertedly slumping off ... That could emerge more positive in the member blend.

The long of the short on all that is ... that a negatively differentiating polar index that is armed by the NAO as being a cold delivery source, with an H.A. signal ( at mid latitudes ...) with the PNA in tandem is, in my mind, more substantial than mere plausible already underway so ... mm...

I just meant that I think the potential for anything interesting this weekend is gone. 

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

At this point, Who cares what comes after...enjoy what you can, while you can.  Things will change anyway.

agreed...I think winter forecasting is pretty much voodoo at this point (could be due to the changing background climate making analogs almost useless, probably why Bastardi is wrong 99.9% of the time these days). I see countless forecasts every year that end up wrong or revised over and over again to make them look "better" and when they do end up getting them close to being right, it is usually for the wrong reasons. We get snow in October and April/May (Tip did call the October snow well in advance, kudos). Nino's and Nina's don't even act like the normal events of the past...I love the tracking aspect of weather, regardless of rain or snow...

• Like 3