Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The thing is, ensembles nailed this hideous end of November into early December pattern. Hasn’t been a surprise. I’m just glad that the pattern clearly shows a break and changes after first week of Dec. we’ve had many a winter where it sticks around and then you are screwed. 

What’s hideous about it?  Warm and intermittent rains.  Perfect for November.

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The thing is, ensembles nailed this hideous end of November into early December pattern. Hasn’t been a surprise. I’m just glad that the pattern clearly shows a break and changes after first week of Dec. we’ve had many a winter where it sticks around and then you are screwed. 

Yes, but .. the worry and look is it’s starting to show a look mid and especially later month if what we’re in now. That has been my worry all along and now some longer range stuff is starting to show that. I got accused of trolling and my honest to God gut was that exact scenario . 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes, but .. the worry and look is it’s starting to show a look mid and especially later month if what we’re in now. That has been my worry all along and now some longer range stuff is starting to show that. I got accused of trolling and my honest to God gut was that exact scenario . 

WTF are you guys talking about?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That was a serviceable run through Day 10.  Lots of mess-scale snow chances in the upslope areas.  I feel like any snow we get in the next 7-10 days though is going to be of that nature over synoptic snow.

E330AF7A-6EEA-4CC9-AC50-1BAAACCAA784.thumb.png.ae42f4e4b31dbbdca722b0b36e979420.png

Yeah, looks like after we get rid of this POS thing late Tuesday we had back into a decent light snow every few days look at least. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That was a serviceable run through Day 10.  Lots of mess-scale snow chances in the upslope areas.  I feel like any snow we get in the next 7-10 days though is going to be of that nature over synoptic snow.

E330AF7A-6EEA-4CC9-AC50-1BAAACCAA784.thumb.png.ae42f4e4b31dbbdca722b0b36e979420.png

10-15 and snow making temps gets us some serviceable terrain and in the glades

Took a 125 mile ride through the Whites today.  Beautiful day with the Franconia and Presidentials range snow covered above 2500 feet or so.   Hit the snow line at the top of the  Kanc.  Rivers still running low.  Lots of hunters and hikers out.  Anyone else use weatherbell?  Seems like it is running really slow.

54 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No it doesn’t. Link?

I think they are talking about the MJO going into phases 4-6 and the Strong La Nina base state. But there is a lot of uncertainty there. 

The same statistical algorithm that weeks ago projected the upcoming wild pattern in the eastern US now projects this for the end of December. (Shown is 200 hPa height anomalies, red positive). ( Courtesy of Paul Roundy on Twitter). 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

J Spin will eventually stop giving Phin daily affirmations and pick me up posts . If we see a few “Red Rum ..Red Rum” posts when he returns from MD to a green yard at the overlook  ..we will worry.

Poor Phin; he did point out he’s been sort of traumatized because he’d been shut out of substantial snows in the Mid Atlantic for the past season or two?  We’ve just been trying to keep him apprised that the current pace of snowfall around here has been pretty average.  Sure there are seasons where the snowpack sets in by early or mid-November, but the average outside the high elevations is more near the end of the month or beginning of December.  Snows should be returning around here in the Wednesday timeframe anyway based on the forecast.  He should definitely make sure those driveway markers are up at this point.

• Like 1

Anyone averring declarations over next weekend's system should be advised -

The entire N-stream and pattern morphology subtended beneath just got shredded of the previous continuity, over the last two cycles ... it started to unravel 00z and really it's blown apart worse in most guidance all day.  You don't know what is coming at us next weekend ...   All the while, the GEFs still honking a concerted PNA arc heading toward D10 - for all we know this is model black out nonsense... 

.... I don't buy the Euro sell beyond 90 hours anywhere east of the Rockies ... 

The cohesive singular vortex idea that was suppose to dump in..then wait on the N/stream for the 'ally 'oop' phase, has gotten obliterated compared to previous cycles .. Hate to say but smacks as Miami rule rearing it's ugly head ...  heights in the south ...kill yeah when they are planetary anchored, even subtly anomalously high, and not merely rolling out ahead...  What happens?  the velocities physically increases as that thing dumps in ~ 72 hours and as such ... tears it open and meat shears it to entrails.. ... 

The Euro tries to maintain cohesion beyond D5 but that's probably 4-d conservatism ...  and the GFS wonders off with a faux Dec 2005 redux but only at 500 mb .. ugh...

It's amess... Agreed with the previous Met poster that the 850 mb thermal layout is odd everywhere - ....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Poor Phin; he did point out he’s been sort of traumatized because he’d been shut out of substantial snows in the Mid Atlantic for the past season or two?  We’ve just been trying to keep him apprised that the current pace of snowfall around here has been pretty average.  Sure there are seasons where the snowpack sets in by early or mid-November, but the average outside the high elevations is more near the end of the month or beginning of December.  Snows should be returning around here in the Wednesday timeframe anyway based on the forecast.  He should definitely make sure those driveway markers are up at this point.

We’ve been basically shut out of any snow since 2016 in MD. And that whole winter sucked outside the HECS. Basically it never snows there unless it’s 2-3 feet in a single storm every 7-10 years. 3-5/4-6 storms are very rare. It’s all boom or bust now. 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Anyone averring declarations over next weekend's system should be advised -

The entire N-stream and pattern morphology subtended beneath just got shredded from previous continuity, over the last two cycles ... it started to unravel 00z and really it's blown apart worse

.... I don't buy the Euro sell beyond 90 hours anywhere east of the Rockies ... 

The cohesive singular vortex idea that was suppose to dump in..then wait on the N/stream has gotten obliterated compared to previous cycles .. Hate to say but smacks as Miami rule rearing it's ugly head ...  heights in the south ...kill yeah when then are planetary anchored and not merely rolling out ahead...  What happens?  the velocities physically increase as that thing dumps in ~ 72 hours and as such ... tears it open and meat shears it entrails.. ...  The Euro tries to maintain cohesion beyond D5 but that's probably 4-d conservatism ...  and the GFS wonders off with a faux Dec 2005 redux but only at 500 mb .. ugh...

It's amess... Agreed with the previous Met poster that the 850 mb thermal layout is odd everywhere - ....

Yeah next weekend def looks a bit different than even the 00z cycle and a lot different than yesterday’s 12z cycle. Still a tough ask for snow with the antecedent airmass but if things break perfectly you can’t rule it out. That change we’ve seen is step one in completing the Hail Mary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1