Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2020 Discussion

Bostonseminole

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Nice!!!  sweet, thanks my 'gender neutral internet hyper PC convention '

No seriously ... are these one times as in now out of mercy, or is there a public access/url ??   Thanks man -

All ens teles are available on WxBell and/or Weathermodels.us; both which are paid for subscriptions... Weathermodel.us is the most reasonable.  I need to view them on a regular basis for my work so the fee is worth it...  Whenever you want to see them just ask...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I dont know but i was just daydreaming what it would be like to have one. Probably a lot.

Yeah it’s a lot.  A giant fan gun (looks like a snow canon) can run $30-$50K a piece.  That’s before the cost of electricity and pumping.  When you see like 10 of those fan guns lined up it’s a cool half mill just before you fire it up.

The tower guns that are more plentiful run $5-7K.

You’ll often get a bulk buy discount if you get a bunch of them lol.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it’s a lot.  A giant fan gun (looks like a snow canon) can run $30-$50K a piece.  That’s before the cost of electricity and pumping.  When you see like 10 of those fan guns lined up it’s a cool half mill just before you fire it up.

The tower guns that are more plentiful run $5-7K.

You’ll often get a bulk buy discount if you get a bunch of them lol.

Whats the advantage of the fan guns for that price tag?  Do they just pump out that much more snow or is it that they don't need the compressed air line?

30 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Whats the advantage of the fan guns for that price tag?  Do they just pump out that much more snow or is it that they don't need the compressed air line?

Both.  They have their own compressor on-board.  By running them they don't impact the capacity of your snow plant unless you are maxed out on water (which is rare but happens in very cold outbreaks with a lot of guns running).  Normally the limiting factor is compressed air for the reason why a ski area can't fire up more guns.  But by running those, you don't suck air capacity from your plant and it can be sent to other guns... so you'll often see those things run all the time if you have the temps.

They also pump out up to 10 times the amount of water at full throttle.  You'll get like 300 gallons per minute out of one of those vs. 30-50 gallons a minute out of a tower gun.  Which is why they are great in the base areas, high traffic spots, wide areas with a lot of terrain to cover.... spots where you just want to dump a sh*t ton of cubic feet of frozen water.

The more expensive versions are the fan guns on towers... a fan gun that's mobile (wheels or can be dragged around) and ground based will be the lower end of the spectrum.  Installing one of those on a tower 30 feet in the air with 360 degree automated motion is where you get into that $50k range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

There’s a guy in the MA forum that has a snow maker. Deep in the heart of Virginia. Like we said in the Banter thread, when you know what you want, go for it lol. 

Jaime is a nut. Loves his snow, the pride of his neighborhood though. His hill towers over his 2 story

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Jaime is a nut. Loves his snow, the pride of his neighborhood though. His hill towers over his 2 story

I love those photos, think I am or was friends on FB just to see his 30 foot piles in his front yard while the rest of the neighborhood is green lol.  Some of the shots are ridiculous, in an awesome way.

November is right up there with April in my book. Cold, dark, little chance of snow, at least down here. 
But I swear I saw a flake or two right about  sundown. 
I haven’t looked but is it supposed to torch (relative to season that is) again? 
All I see is one day tomorrow for some winter then it’s back to October. 

58 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We could sneak something in the end of the month.  Has happened before in the middle of a shit pattern 

I mean it’s very much still Autumn...normal high round these parts is still about 50-51 degrees.  I’m not expecting any type of winter time pattern at this point...so what’s so shitty about this weather/pattern currently?  I mean besides the 70’s for 7 days last week (which was fine by me), what’s so unusually shitty for mid November? A month from now I’d be feeling differently, but it’s still only mid November. 

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I mean it’s very much still Autumn...normal high round these parts is still about 50-51 degrees.  I’m not expecting any type of winter time pattern at this point...so what’s so shitty about this weather/pattern currently?  I mean besides the 70’s for 7 days last week (which was fine by me), what’s so unusually shitty for mid November? A month from now I’d be feeling differently, but it’s still only mid November. 

I just find the weather in November a little useless, like April is useless. Fall is over and real winter is still a month away. Oh well, happens every year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I just find the weather in November a little useless, like April is useless. Fall is over and real winter is still a month away. Oh well, happens every year. 

Agreed 100%.  So that’s my point...kind of in transition like April.  I know we are all anxious for that first real snow storm, but it’s still a lil to early usually for most of us in SNE to expect a good winter time pattern at this point. Sure it happens some years..but that’s the exception imo rather than the rule. 

Although I hate April way more for the most part. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I feel like some are unnecessarily writing off December...most of the guidance for this area is like +2 and active. That can still work...especially for the interior.

I will take the over on + 2 right now
but I’m interested in seeing if the lower 48 pig furnace abates and we produce after the first 10 days