Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

23 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
On 9/5/2020 at 9:58 AM, Sn0waddict said:
Denver going from 91 on Tuesday to 37 and snow on Wednesday is wild. Need to experience that one day.

Typical Denver

It's 97F (1pm local time) in Denver today.   Will the ground be too warm for the snow to stick?

19 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I can't remember the last time I've seen a Winter Storm Watch for an area while it was 97 degrees. I'm keeping an eye on Boulder. Even a slight accumulation would be historic for how early this is happening.

September (and April-May) snow in Denver isn't terribly unusual.  Snow 2 days after 97° is record-setting, and hard to comprehend.

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

September (and April-May) snow in Denver isn't terribly unusual.  Snow 2 days after 97° is record-setting, and hard to comprehend.

Boulder has never had accumulating snow on September 8th or earlier, so if this storm happens as forecast, it will set an all time record. And if it turns out to be a big storm (I was told that the NAM shows 10”), that will make it all even more remarkable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The Lakes Region up here is packed too. 75% of the plates are out of state.

This weekend is out of control, lol.  All restaurants have been completely sold out, people getting pissed they can’t eat out.  Every parking lot full, cars parked on lawns, been like old times.  Even parking along our driveway.  Good for the economy.  

23A25B85-8F62-4A1A-8CA8-4B5CF821FDB6.jpeg.0155f1c0638bc29fff1e62f1802570f0.jpeg

• Like 1

I know we had a tree discussion for my front yard a few weeks ago. I said I was going with another maple... but I reversed course on that after giving it some thought. I thought an absolutely huge tree among mostly smaller trees in everyone’s front yard may look silly.

I ended up going with a flowering cherry “Kwanzan”... supposedly gets to 30 feet tall and 30 feet wide... bigger than everything else but not absurdly so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fozz said:

I can't remember the last time I've seen a Winter Storm Watch for an area while it was 97 degrees. I'm keeping an eye on Boulder. Even a slight accumulation would be historic for how early this is happening.

Boulder is higher vs Denver so I think it’s a lot more common.  Boulder averages 85 inches of snow per winter.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The diurnal ranges out west are hard to fathom... was just clicking around, saw Steamboat Springs had a high of 89F yesterday and right now it’s 40/28 with a forecast high of 87F again today.

Just massive near 50F temp swings...wake up chilly at 40F and then have upper 80s by 2pm.

23 to 80 at the Sinks Saturday. There was another site in UT that went from 31 to 91 Sat and back to 33 Sun morning before hitting 87 again. Pretty insane.

• Like 2