• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Irish
    Newest Member
    Irish

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Looks like an excellent weenie spot. A bit over 900 feet nestled in the upslope corridor

E652D465-2143-4120-9E71-93B09A095A99.jpeg

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like an excellent weenie spot. A bit over 900 feet nestled in the upslope corridor

E652D465-2143-4120-9E71-93B09A095A99.jpeg

Yeah I’m pretty excited about the spot. The goal was to buy a place closer to Burlington for work but the prices are just insane. Now I’m out here basically in the NEK. 

3 hours ago, timp said:

Yeah I’m pretty excited about the spot. The goal was to buy a place closer to Burlington for work but the prices are just insane. Now I’m out here basically in the NEK. 

If we move, that's where we'll likely have to go due to housing prices now.  Most of my friends who purchased houses are out in that Hyde Park, Eden, to Elmore Pond axis.

That's a snowy little spot there in the gap of the Greens.  A co-worker got 5" last May 9th in Hyde Park... that's stuff you wouldn't get if you bought next to BTV, ha.

13 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks for remembering. I forgot to mention shortly after I posted about it here they seemed to be gone. I’m guessing the spray I got into it the first time must have gotten more of them than I thought.

Nice. Glad they appear to be gone. You’ll still want to get the remnants of the nest out of there at some point. I’d probably pop the cap off outside and check later this fall on a cold day (just to be safe) and clear out the crap in there. 

Back in the Greens. Beautiful unseasonably cool early fall day at 49 degrees. Getting some chores done for a hopefully productive winter.

New addition to the cabin this ski season, bunkhouse to sleep extras. 

99925D4D-F8B7-4D15-AB4D-3A34BEB7707C.jpeg

D8F58CA0-5FEE-4A4F-A3B8-E9C1DEAEF0FA.jpeg

46BE9F6B-B95C-446A-B794-FA528C7B98A9.jpeg

D7C15CBC-16BF-4315-9BEB-10B4FCB9A6AF.jpeg

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Love that bunkhouse dude.  What a great way to stash the kids somewhere else, ha.  

I gotta ask him....is the bunkhouse heated? I didn’t see a wood stove, lol. 

Yeah the bunkhouse will be great. Sleep a bunch of kids or even a family of 4. Can stash a kid in overhead loft over porch. Place down here in Townshend, NV Farms, make some great stuff. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I gotta ask him....is the bunkhouse heated? I didn’t see a wood stove, lol. 

It’s fully insulated and has electric run (did that today). Right now heating with an infrared heater that I control through WiFi (phone app). Looked at getting a very small wood stove, they sells ones they use for tiny homes, boats, etc. Might burn us out of there though lol. Thing is insulated like nuts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Did you miss the first pic with the wood stove? 

Yeah the wood stove you see is in the main cabin. The bunkhouse is a separate structure. 

1 minute ago, greenmtnwx said:

It’s fully insulated and has electric run (did that today). Right now heating with an infrared heater that I control through WiFi (phone app). Looked at getting a very small wood stove, they sells ones they use for tiny homes, boats, etc. Might burn us out of there though lol. Thing is insulated like nuts. 

Oh nice. Yeah a space that small and insulated well won’t take much to make it very warm. 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

She posted a picture of a wood stove in addition to wood piles and cut wood 

That was the main cabin. The bunkhouse is separate. 

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

9F drop in the last 20min at TAN. 57F down to 48F.  Comfy 70F inside and that’s without using any heat.

And 12F in the last hour.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 10:05 AM, ORH_wxman said:

That's a good price for a driveway that long....whats the threshold for plowing though? If it's like 2 inches, then you might have a lot of plow bills.....lol.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:08 AM, PhineasC said:

They said they are there every day in some patterns.  I guess if I leave to much snow the lower layer freezes solid and slick and becomes really hard to remove. 

On 9/17/2020 at 10:11 AM, powderfreak said:

$80 a plow?!  The frequency will bankrupt you.

You want that guy to stay away anytime there is less than 6” on that thing.  Do you have a truck?  Might be best to just buy a plow there... or get some used tractor with one.

The inches thing for plowing is tough... you’ll often see J.Spin or I refer to times when it just isn’t worth it cause it snowed 5-6” but with 0.2” water and it’ll blow away under your car as you drive out.

Too bad you can’t do it by liquid equivalent up in NNE, lol.  That’s really what matters for plowing over the inches.  Don’t want to lay down $80 for leaf blower style snow drifting down off that ridge behind you to the NW.

I was a bit too busy this week to check in on this thread, but boy that NNE microclimate discussion really exploded.

I can certainly imagine Phin’s plow guy being there every day at times during the season, but he must do some sort of friendly service thing where he doesn’t charge $80 for every little visit to sweep away the upslope.  I checked my snow data in line with the 2-inch number that Will tossed out there, and here at our site we average 24 days a season with 2 inches of snowfall or more, so that would run about $2,000 if he was strict on that sort of rule.  I would check with your neighbors though to see what sort of plans they’re going with, just to make sure that it’s not standard around there to choose some flat rate for the season.

I agree that it’s probably good to get a feel for it the first season, then eventually get a system where you can take care of snow maintenance on your own if you want to.  Like PF said, we typically just drive over stuff below a certain liquid equivalent and pack it down.  We actually have a decent pitch to our driveway, and I find the packed snow is totally fine if the weather stays consistently cold.  It’s when there’s a notable thaw or mixed precipitation that it could start to get hairy and you have to pull out the crampons/microspikes/YakTraX/etc.  When you do have a pack already down, it gives you some flexibility to let rain or freezing rain or sleet fall on it, then easily clear it away with the snow and preserve the texture of what’s underneath.

If your climate is like what PF and I have over here, and what Alex probably sees as well, you can be looking at 100+ days of flakes in the air.  It’s where the “snow globe” terminology comes from.  Over here when tourists are confused because the forecast says “snow showers” and they end up with inches on their cars each morning, locals have given up trying to explain the nuances of upslope and microclimates and they just hand them one of these:

VTsnowglobe.jpg

Ultimately though, it is really nice to have some flexibility with the driveway clearing in this kind of winter climate.  I’m lucky in that our driveway is only ~100’ long, so I can take care of it with the snow blower at my leisure.  If it’s a powder morning and we want to zip off to the slopes for fresh tracks, I can just blow out a car’s width in a few minutes and we’re on our way.  I think most plow guys get at it pretty quickly/early, but depending on how many customers they have and where you sit on their route, I guess it’s possible it could be slower after a big storm.

It should be a fun experience though learning what works for your property and climate; at least you’ve gone into it partly for that snow experience so it should be a good time vs. someone who moved to a spot like that and had no clue about the climate.  I’m sure you’ve seen the various versions of this classic tale:

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/2606/The-Diary-Of-A-Snow-Shoveler

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

How much does something like that cost overall?

The bunkhouse? $5,200

10x20 fully insulated, two windows plus the small port window in the loft. Metal roof. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was a bit too busy this week to check in on this thread, but boy that NNE microclimate discussion really exploded.

I can certainly imagine Phin’s plow guy being there every day at times during the season, but he must do some sort of friendly service thing where he doesn’t charge $80 for every little visit to sweep away the upslope.  I checked my snow data in line with the 2-inch number that Will tossed out there, and here at our site we average 24 days a season with 2 inches of snowfall or more, so that would run about $2,000 if he was strict on that sort of rule.  I would check with your neighbors though to see what sort of plans they’re going with, just to make sure that it’s not standard around there to choose some flat rate for the season.

I agree that it’s probably good to get a feel for it the first season, then eventually get a system where you can take care of snow maintenance on your own if you want to.  Like PF said, we typically just drive over stuff below a certain liquid equivalent and pack it down.  We actually have a decent pitch to our driveway, and I find the packed snow is totally fine if the weather stays consistently cold.  It’s when there’s a notable thaw or mixed precipitation that it could start to get hairy and you have to pull out the crampons/microspikes/YakTraX/etc.  When you do have a pack already down, it gives you some flexibility to let rain or freezing rain or sleet fall on it, then easily clear it away with the snow and preserve the texture of what’s underneath.

If your climate is like what PF and I have over here, and what Alex probably sees as well, you can be looking at 100+ days of flakes in the air.  It’s where the “snow globe” terminology comes from.  Over here when tourists are confused because the forecast says “snow showers” and they end up with inches on their cars each morning, locals have given up trying to explain the nuances of upslope and microclimates and they just hand them one of these:

VTsnowglobe.jpg

Ultimately though, it is really nice to have some flexibility with the driveway clearing in this kind of winter climate.  I’m lucky in that our driveway is only ~100’ long, so I can take care of it with the snow blower at my leisure.  If it’s a powder morning and we want to zip off to the slopes for fresh tracks, I can just blow out a car’s width in a few minutes and we’re on our way.  I think most plow guys get at it pretty quickly/early, but depending on how many customers they have and where you sit on their route, I guess it’s possible it could be slower after a big storm.

It should be a fun experience though learning what works for your property and climate; at least you’ve gone into it partly for that snow experience so it should be a good time vs. someone who moved to a spot like that and had no clue about the climate.  I’m sure you’ve seen the various versions of this classic tale:

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/2606/The-Diary-Of-A-Snow-Shoveler

I especially like the part about how the guy in the story tries to get a snowblower or hire a plow guy but they are "out of stock" and "too busy," respectively. Definitely something I could see happening up here in Coos County. LOL