Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Big time heat focused in sne Sunday-Tuesday to close out July

weathafella

2 hours ago, klw said:

57 here.  Pleasant morning with the windows open.

No matter what I do I am never able to get that cool air to come into my place overnight.  I have a fan bringing in the outside air, then another one taking the sh.it, hot stale air out, but it never seems to work.   I basically have to have the fan blowing on my face.

It's funny ... just last week how that tenor was diametrical to this sort of dance-around a sombre fireside poetry.   It was then so gleeful, the song praised in lust for tortured heat in August, and activating tropics .. There just seemed indeterminable wealth in dystopian nourishment to feed this odd neurosis - dopamine when looking at weather charts that implicate relative dread. 

Now?  throwing hands - ... the most observable difference?   No hurricane... banal heat. Basically, no drama.  Seems pretty much cause-and-"affect"

Next week?  ... I predict a 70 .. 80% chance that the tenor will have vagaried right back the other way. 

It seems there is a separate scoring that is not based upon model verification that is crucial in this "hobby" ( which I quote, because I suspect it's more than merely a hobby for many that regular - ) that is emergent. It's not weather-driven, though rooted in the same lust for drama - sure.  It is a transference?  It's taking the want of the dramatic expression of Nature, and creating a joy-reliance, more so based upon these modeling technologies and the virtual impressionist art of implications they may paint for the various features they illustrate out in time...  And we become fixated on it - that's when it becomes a little ... probably "unhealthy" is the best word for that. 

Before 30 some-odd years ago... this did not exist.  Yet, 'nowadays' we are inherently allowing some random aspect that's never been a part of human history and evolution, become a guide in determining the future of one's life.  Fascinating really.. 

But, when the models seem to dwindle the drama... normalize affairs and impressions of the mid and extended ranges down to something less that a half a single standard deviation ( positive or negative ) that becomes the rainy day.  It's almost like in that particular scale,  0 standard deviation modeled virtual tapestry ( which isn't even real mind us...) triggers a 10 standard deviation anomaly in internal angst if not definable as sadness ... Inverse proportionality 

29 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

No matter what I do I am never able to get that cool air to come into my place overnight.  I have a fan bringing in the outside air, then another one taking the sh.it, hot stale air out, but it never seems to work.   I basically have to have the fan blowing on my face.

We have a colonial with a center staircase.  With a window fan in one upstairs window opposite the front door, the cool air really works its way in for us.  The elevation, early shade, and early sunset really help prevent the house getting too hot as well.  So far that week in early July 2018 has easily been the worst in our 4 years in this house.

• Like 1

Last night on the drive home from Rutland, I hit a downpour just to the east of Killington.  After a couple of minutes I was out of it and the sun was soon out.  The storm was going east at about the same rate I was.  I was driving looking at one of the most intense colored rainbows I have seen lately.  It was seldom a full arc but fantastic.  The drive was beautiful with the late evening sun, the low white clouds in parts of the  dark green forested valleys  and the intensive contrast of the dark storm, spots of blue skies.  35 miles of bliss, the rainbow was still going when I got home.  Signs of some washouts on the dirt roads near home and miraculously the broken maple caught up above the parking area at my house was still held by the other trees.  I need that hurricane to come and save me some work.

15 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, my mother in law is like that. I have seen her wearing wool socks, heavy stockings, and a shawl wrapped tightly around her in some crazy high temps/dews. I would definitely succumb to heat stroke in the same setup. It seems like if there is any kind of "breeze" hitting her (like from a ceiling fan) she starts to shiver even if the ambient temp is 80+.

Sounds like my mom, especially after age 55, which was when her emphysema was diagnosed.  She was especially adverse to drafts and when they planned to visit us at our first house in Fort Kent, a small (18x20 ft 2-story) somewhat drafty and poorly insulated place in town, we were a bit concerned.  However, even with some lowery cool days during that summer visit, she would camp 4' from our little Jotul 602 and bask in its warmth.

8 minutes ago, klw said:

Last night on the drive home from Rutland, I hit a downpour just to the east of Killington.  After a couple of minutes I was out of it and the sun was soon out.  The storm was going east at about the same rate I was.  I was driving looking at one of the most intense colored rainbows I have seen lately.  It was seldom a full arc but fantastic.  The drive was beautiful with the late evening sun, the low white clouds in parts of the  dark green forested valleys  and the intensive contrast of the dark storm, spots of blue skies.  35 miles of bliss, the rainbow was still going when I got home.  Signs of some washouts on the dirt roads near home and miraculously the broken maple caught up above the parking area at my house was still held by the other trees.  I need that hurricane to come and save me some work.

Rainbows are, as described, breath taking. From my vantage point in the urban paradise It is a rare sight. I would enjoy seeing a photo, klw, if you ever have the opportunity to take some. As always....

43 minutes ago, rclab said:

Rainbows are, as described, breath taking. From my vantage point in the urban paradise It is a rare sight. I would enjoy seeing a photo, klw, if you ever have the opportunity to take some. As always....

Sadly I was driving and did not have a camera with me.  When we used to live in Peacham our house had long range views to the east down towards the CT River Valley and rainbows were a common sight for us.  Now we are in a tight, mostly wooded valley so the trees usually block them at the house.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Seems like a sharp cutoff then because we have been pretty dry ever since the retrograding cutoff. 

yep.  We have been crushed day after day here.  Got 1.5 inches last night while 10 miles north of me was dry.   About 11 inches of rain here for the month