• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
STILL N OF PIKE

Wow, what an inferno in the D6 to 10 operational Euro, huh - 

First, there's a possibility that we extend heat wave with aoa 90 all week really given a Euro evolution... With a frontalysis rotting ...only managing to stall bifurcating the 'peninsula' of SNE from PWD to NYC ...that is not a very effectually cooling the medium. We do see the very warmest 850 layer does suppress...but we have lingering 16 to 18 C paralleling the flow at 850 ...up underneath the 700 and 500 mb that are also laminar...  and that's not really allowing for cleaner front suppression...  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Gonna be tough to make 90F.  Maybe we make a late run at it around 3-4pm if we can clear out these clouds.

If you can keep the marine contamination from mixing in ...you'll be 94 - that'd be my guess...  

Did y'all look at anything other than pulling the curtains and seeing a gray sky and dismissing  lol ... 

The entire heavens are superb for heating as clearing rockets east  ...it's already peeled away in ~ EEN-Willimantic and that line is moving some 40 mph. With zero change in the nature or ability for temperature rise and only awaits the insolation tsunamis I bet most folks make 90. 

but we'll see...

• Like 1

When I moved here in 2015, the prevailing wisdom was “pfft, you don’t need AC, this is NH...” Every year I have needed AC, and the need for it has been increasing...I think the much higher low temps is also a persistence phenomenon, going back years...The +AN has been most apparent in the morning, even outside of seasonably warm patterns...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

When I moved here in 2015, the prevailing wisdom was “pfft, you don’t need AC, this is NH...” Every year I have needed AC, and the need for it has been increasing...I think the much higher low temps is also a persistence phenomenon, going back years...The +AN has been most apparent in the morning, even outside of seasonably warm patterns...

You would’ve liked 09. I think I needed more heat than AC that month. lol

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If you can keep the marine contamination from mixing in ...you'll be 94 - that'd be my guess...  

Did y'all look at anything other than pulling the curtains and seeing a gray sky and dismissing  lol ... 

The entire heavens are superb for heating as clearing rockets east  ...it's already peeled away in ~ EEN-Willimantic and that line is moving some 40 mph. With zero change in the nature or ability for temperature rise and only awaits the insolation tsunamis I bet most folks make 90. 

but we'll see...

I looked at satellite and I have a solid hour or more of clouds still to push through.  It's 81F currently.

1381187086_COD-GOES-East-local-Rhode_Island_02.20200720.135623-overmap-bars.thumb.gif.69ea1c42b87a1c13a81e6189a199972a.gif

43 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Living in my area of Central NH for 19 years now I don't remember needing much AC till the last few years.  

12 hours ago, dendrite said:

(1911, July) A really strange month.

An interesting write up from the couple writing the New England Historical Society blog. 

It reminds me of 10 days in July 1995 when I was in grad school in Chicago.  The street surfaces stuck to the car tires...a shlup kind of sound as you drove in the neighborhoods  I have never been in as hot or as cold as I was in that decade of Summers and Winters.

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/the-1911-heat-wave-was-so-deadly-it-drove-people-insane/

The 1911 Heat Wave Was So Deadly It Drove People Insane

A July 1911 heat wave killed thousands of New Englanders and sent many over the brink of madness.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mips said:

An interesting write up from the couple writing the New England Historical Society blog. 

It reminds me of 10 days in July 1995 when I was in grad school in Chicago.  The street surfaces stuck to the car tires...a shlup kind of sound as you drove in the neighborhoods  I have never been in as hot or as cold as I was in that decade of Summers and Winters.

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/the-1911-heat-wave-was-so-deadly-it-drove-people-insane/

The 1911 Heat Wave Was So Deadly It Drove People Insane

A July 1911 heat wave killed thousands of New Englanders and sent many over the brink of madness.

Good read...thanks for the link!

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's so dystopian melodramatic ...

can't they just say it was historically hot and list stats ?  lol -

I mean, who sits around and does this...

“In Hartford, crowds gathered around the Thermograph near City Hall to watch as the temperature fluctuated between 110 and 112 degrees in the shade”

Were weather weenies around back then?

Dr. Dews great grandpappy?

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 3

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

“In Hartford, crowds gathered around the Thermograph near City Hall to watch as the temperature fluctuated between 110 and 112 degrees in the shade”

Crowds gathered around the thermograph huh, in 110 degree heat lol, I’m guessing this was AFTER “some” went insane from the heat .

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

It is crazy to think about how with no internet, TV, and other means of communication.... you had to "see to believe".  People starting a rumor about 112 degrees and then folks just starting a migration to see if it's true.

Such a different world.  Like when entire towns would gather around a housefire because well, it was going to be the most interesting thing you'd see if a long time and if you were curious what a housefire looked like, that was how you saw it.  No google image search, lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Crowds gathered around the thermograph huh, in 110 degree heat lol, I’m guessing this was AFTER “some” went insane from the heat .

Ha, it's not like they were all sequestered away in their mini-splits and iPhone controlled smart home climate control.  Probably felt much better getting out there than sitting in some brick apartment building in Hartford in that heat in 1911.  Staying inside was probably like being in an oven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They were arguing over whether the meniscus was at 109F or 110F. A few thought it was chamber weather because of the low mins, but most agreed it was a torch and that they would install air conditioners if such a thing existed.

• Haha 3

Just now, dendrite said:

They were arguing over whether the meniscus was at 109F or 110F. A few thought it was chamber weather because of the low mins, but most agreed it was a torch and that they would install air conditioners if such a thing existed.

Alright kids, you can rotate every 5 minutes in the refrigerator....

Actually looks like home use refrigerators didn't start till 1913... so not quite kids, wait two more years!

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Some were arguing about rounding errors and were going with Celsius. Some were spreading mulch to see if that would cause a heat burst.  A really young kid was saying something about the Sonoran Desert

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is crazy to think about how with no internet, TV, and other means of communication.... you had to "see to believe".  People starting a rumor about 112 degrees and then folks just starting a migration to see if it's true.

Such a different world.  Like when entire towns would gather around a housefire because well, it was going to be the most interesting thing you'd see if a long time and if you were curious what a housefire looked like, that was how you saw it.  No google image search, lol.

Around the mid 90's I saw a huge fire in Hadley MA and drove down to see it.  It's a blurry memory but I recall there being a pretty good crowd when I got there watching the massive barn fire.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I assume there were a lot more fields back then with the abundant tree cutting. I wonder how much that helped the region heat up and radiate at night. It tended to be more arid times back then too as the poor farming practices were beginning in the plains and we had fewer GHGs. So those airmasses coming from our west had to be extremely hot and dry...sonoran for like 2 weeks. Being deep in river valleys probably helped Keene and Franklin decouple while Nashua stayed a bit mixed. Of course there’s a “yore” factor where you sometimes have to ask if the data passes the smell check. Many had differing obs times and differences in instrumentation, siting, and observing methods. Maybe Chris has access to info describing what each site used during the history of the station’s existence. But there’s enough consistency in the numbers between multiple sites in multiple states to know these days and days of 100s were legit. 

100/78 is more impressive than 105/50

• Weenie 1