• Member Statistics

    16,047
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    WIanBW
    Newest Member
    WIanBW
    Joined
Baroclinic Zone

Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That has got to bring back some awful memories for anyone who has lived in Beirut for a while.

Most of my bad memories from Beirut happened the following morning.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like their version of our 1917 Halifax explosion. Probably going to be a high death toll and likely be a lot of eye injuries due to people looking out windows just before the blast.


#NovaScotiaStrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My uneducated guess is ammonium nitrate. That stuff has been know to cause huge explosions with big pressure waves in the past. Could’ve started as a fireworks fire but spread into an area that stores fertilizer.

Whatever it was, the explosion was massive in scale and power. Here is a pic I grabbed of twitter. The cars are overturned facing the epicentre. They were literally pulled toward the explosion from the vacuum created by the blast. That’s a beast.

1c0b336d6e0de802278a458e875e7d08.jpg


#NovaScotiaStrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hazey said:

My uneducated guess is ammonium nitrate. That stuff has been know to cause huge explosions with big pressure waves in the past. Could’ve started as a fireworks fire but spread into an area that stores fertilizer.

Whatever it was, the explosion was massive in scale and power. Here is a pic I grabbed of twitter. The cars are overturned facing the epicentre. They were literally pulled toward the explosion from the vacuum created by the blast. That’s a beast.

1c0b336d6e0de802278a458e875e7d08.jpg


#NovaScotiaStrong

Close.  It was Sodium Nitrate

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Close.  It was Sodium Nitrate

Seeing reports that both Sodium and Ammonium nitrate were stored there.   Sodium nitrate isn't explosive on it's own and would not have reacted with another chemical fast enough to cause something that big. Ammonium nitrate is the more likely suspect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate_disasters

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a report that there may have been 2700 tones of confiscated fert being stored there after it was seized as illegal cargo. Apparently this was back in 2013 but it was still being held at the port. Again just a story I saw on the net. Might be bs but that’s looks like a 3kiloton blast. I feel bad for them. What a disaster for a country that was already struggling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like local schools will be 100% remote for a few months at least, very likely longer.

Teachers unions putting on the full court press to not go back. Looks to be working.

Wish I could not go back to work and eliminate all risk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Looks like local schools will be 100% remote for a few months at least, very likely longer.

Teachers unions putting on the full court press to not go back. Looks to be working.

Wish I could not go back to work and eliminate all risk.

Our union had a very mixed set of opinions. Prob mirrored the city pretty closely.  Our super wanted to go hybrid (me too) but school committee voted remote.    Hopefully something happens where we can go in person.   I just row the ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our union had a very mixed set of opinions. Prob mirrored the city pretty closely.  Our super wanted to go hybrid (me too) but school committee voted remote.    Hopefully something happens where we can go in person.   I just row the ship. 

Yeah I personally liked a hybrid approach to start. Something like one week on one week off or 2 days and 3 days etc etc. I really think continued remote learning is going to be a disaster for growth, especially younger kids.

(Not saying you), but I find it weird that teachers seem to be the only group not being asked to assume some risk returning to work. Everyone is assuming some sort of risk leaving their home and going to work, why should they be any different? As long as reasonable precautions are taken, what more can you ask?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here's the slow motion.   You can see the blast wave creating debris and sends it flying outward.   Then the rising air plume starts sucking debris back inward..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah I personally liked a hybrid approach to start. Something like one week on one week off or 2 days and 3 days etc etc. I really think continued remote learning is going to be a disaster for growth, especially younger kids.

(Not saying you), but I find it weird that teachers seem to be the only group not being asked to assume some risk returning to work. Everyone is assuming some sort of risk leaving their home and going to work, why should they be any different? As long as reasonable precautions are taken, what more can you ask?

There are a ton of folks working from home until 2021.  Pretty much the entire financial services industry. Everyone in back room office operations and IT.  Lots of people not being asked to assume the risk of working in person.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Watch we get a hurricane  in sept. Already 2 tropical storms.

Why not OCT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

There are a ton of folks working from home until 2021.  Pretty much the entire financial services industry. Everyone in back room office operations and IT.  Lots of people not being asked to assume the risk of working in person.  

I understand that, but teaching isn’t really something that can be done remotely.

I work in facilities at a local university, I don’t have the luxury of working from home. You just can’t do it, especially long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Looks like Mass is removing RI from quarantine exempt states.

Anyone from mass traveling back from RI now needs to quarantine.

same with CT, that will leave a dent in our Casinos pockets.

 

2700 tons of fert. Okc bombing was like 200

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I understand that, but teaching isn’t really something that can be done remotely.

I work in facilities at a local university, I don’t have the luxury of working from home. You just can’t do it, especially long term.

Well obviously then there are lots of groups not being asked to take a risk.  Why should teachers have to take that risk?  Not to get into it but my job requires communicating and teaching difficult concepts To adults that have to then take action on those concepts.  It’s Skype meetings all day long sharing screens with prepared materials and then answering questions as folks being to work on the tasks.  It’s not easy but with some effort I’m sure it could be successful. Being in a video zoom type setting is not live in person but it is close.  We are probably only talking 4-6 months before we at least have a “rescue” type treatment if you contract a bad case.  And maybe 6-8 until you could assume most get vaccinated. We are not taking forever here.  Why not find a way to make true remote video teaching the short term solution to save lives?  Why should teachers, students and their families take such an enormous risk when so many others are not asked to take a similar risk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of risk....keeping my eyes open.  We have to visit Chicago and we’ve chosen not to fly....driving.   Researched lodging and determined air bnb is safest vs hotel just due to the fact that there is little F2F with anyone aside from your family.  We’ll bring disinfectant and return a few days later.   Hopefully I can get tested at work (results typically in 24 hours or less) because I don’t at all like working from home and a lot of my stuff can’t be done that way.   But if this ramps up as we move indoors I’m out.   Otherwise no later than the end of the year.  I’m tired!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hazey said:

I saw a report that there may have been 2700 tones of confiscated fert being stored there after it was seized as illegal cargo. Apparently this was back in 2013 but it was still being held at the port. Again just a story I saw on the net. Might be bs but that’s looks like a 3kiloton blast. I feel bad for them. What a disaster for a country that was already struggling.

Put that in perspective.  The Oklahoma City Bombing was 2.5 tons.  This was 100 times larger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Speaking of risk....keeping my eyes open.  We have to visit Chicago and we’ve chosen not to fly....driving.   Researched lodging and determined air bnb is safest vs hotel just due to the fact that there is little F2F with anyone aside from your family.  We’ll bring disinfectant and return a few days later.   Hopefully I can get tested at work (results typically in 24 hours or less) because I don’t at all like working from home and a lot of my stuff can’t be done that way.   But if this ramps up as we move indoors I’m out.   Otherwise no later than the end of the year.  I’m tired!

Nobody would fault you if you checked out as we move toward the indoor cool weather seasons. You’ve done your time and we all are thankful for your service.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.