• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WIanBW
    Newest Member
    WIanBW

Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

58/54 at 10pm... feels wonderful.

Its been two consecutive days where it hasn’t been near A/C levels. It’s almost blanket temps on the couch watching Netflix.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hippie, are you still with PP?  I know you had been talking about trying someplace new

Yeah, I had a foot out the door but our head brewer left, I’m tight with Jess,  our new brewer and we are going to rock out some good beers.

I like our current team (4 of us lol) and my wife pointed out I am lucky to have a job I like in this climate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

58/54 at 10pm... feels wonderful.

Its been two consecutive days where it hasn’t been near A/C levels.

Fuking sweating my ass off in my house 82 degrees RH 60%, where's our relief lol

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice, ORH.  

My wildlife includes accidentally leaving a can of Pringle’s by the pool this evening when the wife and I sat out for a drink.  A friend was dropping something off so we ran inside for a bit. 

I came back out a half hour later to clean up and the Pringle’s are gone.  No where to be found but I notice a paw print on the table.  Looking around I find the container along the woodline... damn bear stole them in the half hour we were chatting on the other side of the building!

300624C4-0AFE-4150-95A4-BE90535555EE.jpeg.79e824bee0d2a71a3a4f90a248a3c7e8.jpeg

Was the buzz worth it?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I did some disaster training with CMP a while back and they talked about the process. They get to call on favors and grab crews outside the "danger zone" and some of those are better than others. Sometimes they just opt to not have outside crews come in. Or grab them from Quebec (of course that's a COVID complication now).

Lotta Molsons in college. The old 55 pack "keg" was always welcomed in my dorm room.

We used to get these with Genesee.  I think it was just regular not the cream ale.

beer ball.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

13 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Nobody would fault you if you checked out as we move toward the indoor cool weather seasons. You’ve done your time and we all are thankful for your service.  

Thank you!   I decided to put the papers in....out on 9/30/2020.   Several interesting gigs await...maybe taking up 2 days a week.   Looking forward to the next chapter.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

Thank you!   I decided to put the papers in....out on 9/30/2020.   Several interesting gigs await...maybe taking up 2 days a week.   Looking forward to the next chapter.

My man!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I figured this was a much better thread to continue the beer discussion in.

I’m just having fun talking about beer with folks, you like what you like and it’s all good if you’re supporting local breweries and they make a product you like. 
Although not always involved in a professional sense, I have had the good fortune of being connected to the New England brewing revival since 1990.

I became more involved as an actual livelihood about seven or eight years ago.  Just to be clear, outside of your right beet right time Brewery’s, rarely do small or mid-size players get rich with beer.  Wr do it for the love of the art and free beer. Plus it’s really cool when people ask what you do. 
Enjoy whatever beer you like but it is important to try all styles to make sure you’re not missing something.

Reading about styles is also very important to understand what you like or don’t like and why. Randy Moshers “Tasting Beer” is a must read!  A true connoisseur, brightly explaining beer in layman terms. 

Disclaimer: I can, on occasion, be a very cranky beer critic.  Style is style and you strive to get it right!  Keep practicing if you don’t.  The absolute worst quality in a Brewer is not accepting  constructive criticism.

um Beer!

9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I figured this was a much better thread to continue the beer discussion in.

I’m just having fun talking about beer with folks, you like what you like and it’s all good if you’re supporting local breweries and they make a product you like. 
Although not always involved in a professional sense, I have had the good fortune of being connected to the New England brewing revival since 1990.

I became more involved as an actual livelihood about seven or eight years ago.  Just to be clear, outside of your right beet right time Brewery’s, rarely do small or mid-size players get rich with beer.  Wr do it for the love of the art and free beer. Plus it’s really cool when people ask what you do. 
Enjoy whatever beer you like but it is important to try all styles to make sure you’re not missing something.

Reading about styles is also very important to understand what you like or don’t like and why. Randy Moshers “Tasting Beer” is a must read!  A true connoisseur, brightly explaining beer in layman terms. 

Disclaimer: I can, on occasion, be a very cranky beer critic.  Style is style and you strive to get it right!  Keep practicing if you don’t.  The absolute worst quality in a Brewer is not accepting  constructive criticism.

We shall talk beer.  Love it!  Also, have a friend as the owner of a small brewery is cool.  Our tastes definitely morph over time.  Currently I prefer my beers hoppy.  I appreciate all styles though.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Warm IPAs in Tolland. Hate to see it. 

I'm happy for him. He got the damage and outages he desperately wanted. The wife and kids must be ecstatic. Maybe they'll get another week of living naked and afraid?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, dryslot said:

@tamarack, Have these on my pin oaks, Do you know what they are?

4F92DEDA-5670-4A40-A3B7-759E1750C5D3.jpeg

Those are Great North Woods Murder Cicadas.  They emerge every 17 years and have been known to each through screen windows in their prey.  They prefer to feed on roadkill, meterologists and small dogs.  In 1952, the sky darkened over Buxton and they were seen devouring a cocker spaniel in less that 4 minutes, leaving behind only its collar.  RIP Whiskey.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice, ORH.  

My wildlife includes accidentally leaving a can of Pringle’s by the pool this evening when the wife and I sat out for a drink.  A friend was dropping something off so we ran inside for a bit. 

I came back out a half hour later to clean up and the Pringle’s are gone.  No where to be found but I notice a paw print on the table.  Looking around I find the container along the woodline... damn bear stole them in the half hour we were chatting on the other side of the building!

300624C4-0AFE-4150-95A4-BE90535555EE.jpeg.79e824bee0d2a71a3a4f90a248a3c7e8.jpeg

When we lived in Bethlehem, there was some controversy in town because a nice old lady in town was baking brownies and leaving them out for the bears.  They developed a tremendous sweet tooth and were pests around town for awhile.  It took a lot of persuading to get her to stop.

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Had my on boarding test for work this morning.... test is so much less invasive than it was to start 

My son had one last week. Very simple and not the swab you’re brain for 10 minutes one.    Quick results as well. Hope you get a negative

8 minutes ago, klw said:

Those are Great North Woods Murder Cicadas.  They emerge every 17 years and have been known to each through screen windows in their prey.  They prefer to feed on roadkill, meterologists and small dogs.  In 1952, the sky darkened over Buxton and they were seen devouring a cocker spaniel in less that 4 minutes, leaving behind only its collar.  RIP Whiskey.

Thanks for the help...........:weenie:

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Thanks for the help...........:weenie:

No worries, seemed more fun then saying "bump"

11 hours ago, mreaves said:

We used to get these with Genesee.  I think it was just regular not the cream ale.

beer ball.jpg

No Utica Club?

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Got any brighter pics? They do seem somewhat cicada-like. A little bit longer and slender though.

That's all i have, Wife snapped the pic, I will have to investigate more tonight as i will be mowing the lot that has both of those trees, I tried searching beetles in this region and came up with nothing.

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
24 minutes ago, dryslot said:
No Utica Club?

Lol, the good ole party balls. I remember the Coors light ones. Nasty

I worked for a beer dist back in the 70-80's and we had all three, Genesee, Coors and Utica Club beer balls, They were great though, Just cut the box top off and fill it with ice,  I still have a couple keg beer taps too.......lol

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
26 minutes ago, dryslot said:
No Utica Club?

Lol, the good ole party balls. I remember the Coors light ones. Nasty

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I worked for a beer dist back in the 70-80's and we had all three, Genesee, Coors and Utica Club beer balls, They were great though, Just cut the box top off and fill it with ice,  I still have a couple keg beer taps too.......lol

I remember driving around with one behind the back seat in a hatchback.  The spout was just a little to short to reach the driver's seat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I'm happy for him. He got the damage and outages he desperately wanted. The wife and kids must be ecstatic. Maybe they'll get another week of living naked and afraid?

What he lives for... "The damage to the electric system in your area is extensive."

Untitled.jpg.e7a7ca476d664b4d02ca97452873eb01.jpg

22 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I had a job in college serving beer at (believe it or not) the on campus pub.  Learned to tap kegs without getting de-balled in the old school type.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I had a job in college serving beer at (believe it or not) the on campus pub.  Learned to tap kegs without getting de-balled in the old school type.

The ones where you had to push the T rod down into the barrel?  :yikes:

I worked at a liquor store for years.  Started in the Redemption area at the age of 16 and ended up doing pretty much everything once I hit the age of 18.  The people I saw day to day.  The day drinkers, the drunks, the people who picked up every can/bottle know to man for the $0.05.  Crazy folks.

• Like 1