• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WIanBW
    Newest Member
    WIanBW

Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What he lives for... "The damage to the electric system in your area is extensive."

Untitled.jpg.e7a7ca476d664b4d02ca97452873eb01.jpg

If I lose power for a week...my neighborhood better be flattened. 

19 hours ago, dryslot said:

@tamarack, Have these on my pin oaks, Do you know what they are?

4F92DEDA-5670-4A40-A3B7-759E1750C5D3.jpeg

Not like anything I've seen.  The shape and (estimated-from-pic) size suggests some species of stonefly but I've never seen one anywhere near that dark.  Adult stoneflies run 1.5-2"+ long. 

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not like anything I've seen.  The shape and (estimated-from-pic) size suggests some species of stonefly but I've never seen one anywhere near that dark.  Adult stoneflies run 1.5-2"+ long. 

Going to have to make a closer examination, I have not seen these before either.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If I lose power for a week...my neighborhood better be flattened. 

He's gonna get off easy with these lower dews too... imagine a week of 75F dews with water just condensing on the couch and no power.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My son had one last week. Very simple and not the swab you’re brain for 10 minutes one.    Quick results as well. Hope you get a negative

Thanks... yeah it was well set up. Swab yourself actually while someone watches.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, weathafella said:

Thank you!   I decided to put the papers in....out on 9/30/2020.   Several interesting gigs await...maybe taking up 2 days a week.   Looking forward to the next chapter.

Congrats.  I'm in the queue at Maine PERS to have my benefits and options calculated.  When that's ready, wife and I will meet with those folks (probably on ZOOM) with the intent to leave in December.  Some possibility for contract work to aid in training my successor (or at least making sense of my tangled computer files for him/her) and with next year's full recertification audit for forest sustainability.  Also have a permanent invite to future expert peer-review field trips like we had last 2 days, only as one of the experts* rather than the host/note-taker.

*Ex-pert:  Ex: A has-been.  (s)pert: A drip under pressure.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What he lives for... "The damage to the electric system in your area is extensive."

Untitled.jpg.e7a7ca476d664b4d02ca97452873eb01.jpg

lol, see how much he likes destruction the longer he's without power. or does he have genny?

https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/08/06/beirut-blast-one-of-biggest-ever-non-nuclear-explosions/

A team from the University of Sheffield has calculated the strength of the blast based on the videos and photographs which have emerged since the disaster.

They believe the explosion was the equivalent of 1,000 to 1,500 tonnes of TNT – a blast intensity which would support the belief that it was caused by the detonation of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate fertiliser.

This is about a tenth of the intensity of the Hiroshima nuclear bomb but far bigger than any blast from a conventional weapon.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Congrats.  I'm in the queue at Maine PERS to have my benefits and options calculated.  When that's ready, wife and I will meet with those folks (probably on ZOOM) with the intent to leave in December.  Some possibility for contract work to aid in training my successor (or at least making sense of my tangled computer files for him/her) and with next year's full recertification audit for forest sustainability.  Also have a permanent invite to future expert peer-review field trips like we had last 2 days, only as one of the experts* rather than the host/note-taker.

FYI, City arborist coming to take a look at the trees and those Bugs/Beetles.

25 minutes ago, dryslot said:

FYI, City arborist coming to take a look at the trees and those Bugs/Beetles.

Probably off base but are they moths with wings closed?

Just now, klw said:

Probably off base but are they moths with wings closed?

Not sure, I have not gone to look at them other then the wife's pic.

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I worked at a liquor store for years.  Started in the Redemption area at the age of 16 and ended up doing pretty much everything once I hit the age of 18.  The people I saw day to day.  The day drinkers, the drunks, the people who picked up every can/bottle know to man for the $0.05.  Crazy folks.

Do you remember Goofy Balls?

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I do not.  I searched and it came up as a candy.

He was a dude who used to walk around town in the 1980s collecting cans in a wheelbarrow he pushed.   He was a hard worker at that.  He had t shirts etc that someone made for him that said Goofy Balls

3 hours ago, klw said:

When we lived in Bethlehem, there was some controversy in town because a nice old lady in town was baking brownies and leaving them out for the bears.  They developed a tremendous sweet tooth and were pests around town for awhile.  It took a lot of persuading to get her to stop.

If Jeff dryslot made the brownies the bears would be chillin for hours then have tremendous munchies. You could control them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

The ones where you had to push the T rod down into the barrel?  :yikes:

Yup.  Baptism by fire.

Just now, weathafella said:

Yup.  Baptism by fire.

Heard story's of guys getting knocked out cold being hit in the forehead with those if you didn't hang on to them.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Congrats to you and your wife as well!  It’s so funny but we always know when it’s time. When my potential 2 day/week gig sent me computer access credentials I pulled the trigger.  If that doesn’t pan out-who cares...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Heard story's of guys getting knocked out cold being hit in the forehead with those if you didn't hang on to them.

This old guy running the place taught us and warned us many times-I suspect it happened to him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

He was a dude who used to walk around town in the 1980s collecting cans in a wheelbarrow he pushed.   He was a hard worker at that.  He had t shirts etc that someone made for him that said Goofy Balls

Yeah, doesn't ring a bell.  We did have one guy who would always come from the Van Dora Nursing Home down to the Igo Building to watch us play soccer.  He must have been 90 years old.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Greater than any single conventional weapon.  This event led me to look up the 1917 explosion in Halifax harbor.  That was a munitions ship and the blast was evaluated as being equal to about 2,900 tons of TNT.  It pretty much leveled everything within a half mile and tossed heavy pieces of metal over 3 miles.  Nearly 2,000 fatalities - I hope Beirut casualties remain in the low hundreds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I worked at a liquor store for years.  Started in the Redemption area at the age of 16 and ended up doing pretty much everything once I hit the age of 18.  The people I saw day to day.  The day drinkers, the drunks, the people who picked up every can/bottle know to man for the $0.05.  Crazy folks.

6 years working at a liquor store for me. Man, the people and the stories!  

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Greater than any single conventional weapon.  This event led me to look up the 1917 explosion in Halifax harbor.  That was a munitions ship and the blast was evaluated as being equal to about 2,900 tons of TNT.  It pretty much leveled everything within a half mile and tossed heavy pieces of metal over 3 miles.  Nearly 2,000 fatalities - I hope Beirut casualties remain in the low hundreds.

There is an 1150lb anchor shaft from a ship that blew up in that explosion gang went 2.5 miles

There were a ton of people who had eye injuries (I think Jerry treated some).  Boston hospitals and doctors helped out and as a token of thanks each year the citizens of Halifax donate a large Christmas tree to the city of Boston   Canadians are awesome

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Halifax explosion was bigger than the Beirut blast if the numbers are compared. The former had a blast yield of just shy of 3 kilotons of TNT. The latter had 2.75 kilotons of ammonia nitrate but that has a explosive yield of 1 kiloton of TNT. Fertilizer and hi grade explosives do not equal same yield despite same mass. It’s around 40%.

Nice shrooms from both though
cae2d0ca1a124c4e252307f7029e0afb.jpg

#NovaScotiaStrong

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

MA covid numbers down today-very good news!

A hotel one town over from me hosted a wedding with over 300 guests and staff of Saturday and a second one with 190 guests on Sunday.  Hopefully nothing bad comes of it. 

36 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A hotel one town over from me hosted a wedding with over 300 guests and staff of Saturday and a second one with 190 guests on Sunday.  Hopefully nothing bad comes of it. 

Isn’t that illegal?   

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There is an 1150lb anchor shaft from a ship that blew up in that explosion gang went 2.5 miles

There were a ton of people who had eye injuries (I think Jerry treated some).  Boston hospitals and doctors helped out and as a token of thanks each year the citizens of Halifax donate a large Christmas tree to the city of Boston   Canadians are awesome

Laughing at the “Jerry treated some” line, not at the tragedy itself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Don't forget about Tianjin China:

20 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Isn’t that illegal?   

Yes, and they were fined $600 for each event, which is nothing compared to how much they earned from the two weddings

• Like 1