• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WIanBW
    Newest Member
    WIanBW

Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Piecasso Pizza just down the road had one in the middle of the afternoon just hanging out at their dumpsters waiting for the kitchen staff to bring out more bags. 

It is truly incredible the population of these things.  This guy looks different than the one I've gotten pictures of here. 

There are far more bears than deer around here.  If you want to come to Vermont and see wildlife in Stowe, just post up at a dumpster for a few hours and you're sure to see a bear.

116432788_3649562161740536_7614040233013

• Like 2

something must be up with the PSU bufkit page b/c I have been having issues with bufget all week. I swear...there's always fooking problems somewhere...like WTF??? People can't fix stuff? The NWS products...more specifically the SPC page has been nothing but pure garbage the past few months. 

27 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

something must be up with the PSU bufkit page b/c I have been having issues with bufget all week. I swear...there's always fooking problems somewhere...like WTF??? People can't fix stuff? The NWS products...more specifically the SPC page has been nothing but pure garbage the past few months. 

be careful some take offense to any criticism 

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Exactly what I do. Dump and then just throw some more dirt on top each time

A dozen or so years ago I built a 6-ft-square compost bin out of small (3"diam.) cedar logs, stacking rather than notching them to allow airflow.  Don't shovel dirt atop - wood ashes serve that purpose.  Bears are uncommon in my part of the woods; one probably wanders thru every so often but in 22 years only 2 have been noted, the 2nd bagged by a friend who asked to hunt on our woodlot.  Having never eaten bear meat I was hoping for a piece (one should never ask) but the carcass was handled poorly and I think it ended up feeding someone's dogs.  Being a meat hunter, I won't kill a bear (short of self-defense) unless I've eaten the meat and found it very good.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

A dozen or so years ago I built a 6-ft-square compost bin out of small (3"diam.) cedar logs, stacking rather than notching them to allow airflow.  Don't shovel dirt atop - wood ashes serve that purpose.  Bears are uncommon in my part of the woods; one probably wanders thru every so often but in 22 years only 2 have been noted, the 2nd bagged by a friend who asked to hunt on our woodlot.  Having never eaten bear meat I was hoping for a piece (one should never ask) but the carcass was handled poorly and I think it ended up feeding someone's dogs.  Being a meat hunter, I won't kill a bear (short of self-defense) unless I've eaten the meat and found it very good.

It actually is very good if butchered correctly.

43 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Took 4 months, but my office just had its first case. The building is closed until further notice. 

Haven’t been in since 3/11...have no idea when we’ll be back in office as no date has been floated. My guess is not until next year sometime. I worked remotely 3-4 days per week anyway before coronavirus so it wasn’t a drastic change. I do find no being in office for meetings every week has slowed our efficiency a little bit though...like operating at 80% or so compared to before the lockdown began. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Haven’t been in since 3/11...have no idea when we’ll be back in office as no date has been floated. My guess is not until next year sometime. I worked remotely 3-4 days per week anyway before coronavirus so it wasn’t a drastic change. I do find no being in office for meetings every week has slowed our efficiency a little bit though...like operating at 80% or so compared to before the lockdown began. 

I haven’t been in since 3/4 myself. Returned from CHI 3/13 and have been home ever since. All business trips canceled for the foreseeable future.  

I’ve been WFH since 03/12 but they started phasing people back in last month. I’m scheduled to return on 08/10 for an every other week type of approach. Not sure what that accomplishes but ok. My wife will WFH until Q2 21, at the very least.

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Piecasso Pizza just down the road had one in the middle of the afternoon just hanging out at their dumpsters waiting for the kitchen staff to bring out more bags. 

It is truly incredible the population of these things.  This guy looks different than the one I've gotten pictures of here. 

There are far more bears than deer around here.  If you want to come to Vermont and see wildlife in Stowe, just post up at a dumpster for a few hours and you're sure to see a bear.

116432788_3649562161740536_7614040233013

That’s awesome. It’s like seeing cats in NYC camping out near dumpsters, or rats. Just chilling until someone wastes food. 

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Another up day in Mass. Dang 

Water is rising all around us. Probably can’t keep it out forever. Hopefully masks and distancing slows the burn. 

• Like 2

Just got our notice about school for this year.  The district is offering a choice between completely remote learning or a hybrid model.  The hybrid model has kids going to half days of classes 2 days per week and remote learning the other 3 days.  Kids with last names that start with A-K will attend school in-person on Monday and Thursday while L-Z will attend school in-person on Tuesday and Friday.  It isn't perfect but I think they are doing the best they can with the situation they've been handed.

https://www.buusd.org/covid-19/reopening

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Just got our notice about school for this year.  The district is offering a choice between completely remote learning or a hybrid model.  The hybrid model has kids going to half days of classes 2 days per week and remote learning the other 3 days.  Kids with last names that start with A-K will attend school in-person on Monday and Thursday while L-Z will attend school in-person on Tuesday and Friday.  It isn't perfect but I think they are doing the best they can with the situation they've been handed.

How many cases has Barre had?

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

How many cases has Barre had?

Our county has had 47 cases and 2 deaths.  I know what you're trying to say but I also see that, as a state, we have done ok and I am fine with our cautious approach.

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Our county has had 47 cases and 2 deaths.  I know what you're trying to say but I also see that, as a state, we have done ok and I am fine with our cautious approach.

Wasn’t trying to say anything. Just a question , how many people are now infected? What’s the RO in your county. At what point is considered safe for full school? Are you providing with these answers

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wasn’t trying to say anything. Just a question 

Some people think we are being too cautious, I wonder myself at times.  But, like I said, I think we have done ok and don't want to change that now.  

• Like 2

Just now, mreaves said:

Some people think we are being too cautious, I wonder myself at times.  But, like I said, I think we have done ok and don't want to change that now.  

Did you see what UVM's approach was going to be?  They are trying to do in-person but will provide testing before arrival on campus for all students and will require weekly testing for at least the first month students arrive.  Then they'll adjust as needed after that.  It's said to be one of the most extensive testing policies rolled out for a university.

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Wasn’t trying to say anything. Just a question , how many people are now infected? What’s the RO in your county. At what point is considered safe for full school? Are you providing with these answers

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Did you see what UVM's approach was going to be?  They are trying to do in-person but will provide testing before arrival on campus for all students and will require weekly testing for at least the first month students arrive.  Then they'll adjust as needed after that.  It's said to be one of the most extensive testing policies rolled out for a university.

The college I work at is doing on boarding testing before kids can move in and after that staff and students will be tested twice a week.

51 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Half day twice a week? That’s rough. You’d think it’d be easier to just keep everyone hoMe 

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The college I work at is doing on boarding testing before kids can move in and after that staff and students will be tested twice a week.

Ha so not that extensive.  How many students?  I haven't read anything on how colleges/universities are handling it, just what's been written about the UVM one.

First new case in awhile in my town today. My hunch is it's a library worker based on the announcement they made. We're starting to see some cases pop up around Winni and up through North Conway. Thanks Massholes. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

First new case in awhile in my town today. My hunch is it's a library worker based on the announcement they made. We're starting to see some cases pop up around Winni and up through North Conway. Thanks Massholes. ;)

We don't go down to Jackson or North Conway very much. Too commercial and touristy feeling to me. I prefer the rugged, blue-collar vibe in Coos.

Just now, PhineasC said:

We don't go down to Jackson or North Conway very much. Too commercial and touristy feeling to me. I prefer the rugged, blue-collar vibe in Coos.

We like going to Littleton.  World's largest candy counter at Chutter's.  Home Depot and Lowes.  Traffic isn't nearly as bad as Burlington or W.Leb

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We recently supposedly had a local Shaws supermarket employee test positive along with an Alpine Mart/Subway employee... though apparently both turned out to be false positives after the serum test.

Just now, HimoorWx said:

Interesting thin low cloud deck this evening at Nauset Light Beach. Very sharp cutoff too. 20200731_190910.jpg20200731_190950.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Fog?

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wasn’t trying to say anything. Just a question , how many people are now infected? What’s the RO in your county. At what point is considered safe for full school? Are you providing with these answers

I'm not sure of the R0 for my county but for the state it's at .88.  Obviously ours is lower than that as it is heavily weighted by Chittenden County.  The state does have a decent dashboard and they send out a daily update.  https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/current-activity-vermont