• Member Statistics

    16,047
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    WIanBW
    Newest Member
    WIanBW
    Joined
Baroclinic Zone

Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Recommended Posts

Just now, PowderBeard said:

The Quabbin was 81-82* today. Pretty impressive. I dont think I saw 78/79 last year. 

Storm should be crossing it pretty soon.  Let's get a waterspout.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, radarman said:

Storm should be crossing it pretty soon.  Let's get a waterspout.

Yup, had the baby with me, she was napping in the tent. Woke her up and headed back in. BTW, had 88-89* water at Metacomet a couple days ago. Damn swampy jacuzzi. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Let’s see if this one holds up, Generally ones coming out of the Norway south Paris area usually get here.

Another one well south (along with the nice echoes well north.)  It's like the Whites help sustain the TS but the Mahoosucs kill them - or something.  Still have not seen a single lightning bolt this year, even after a significant amount of time on my front porch waiting and watching as thunder arrives.  Of course we scored multiple times June 28-July 14 but it's been pretty scratchy since then.  Our 2-day expert peer-review field trip is this coming Tues-Wed, probably means we get Isaias.  Having been gully-washed in NW Maine by the remains of Katrina in 2005 and dodging multiple TS (not always successfully) on these trips 2 years later, c'est la vie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tamarack said:

Another one well south (along with the nice echoes well north.)  It's like the Whites help sustain the TS but the Mahoosucs kill them - or something.  Still have not seen a single lightning bolt this year, even after a significant amount of time on my front porch waiting and watching as thunder arrives.  Of course we scored multiple times June 28-July 14 but it's been pretty scratchy since then.  Our 2-day expert peer-review field trip is this coming Tues-Wed, probably means we get Isaias.  Having been gully-washed in NW Maine by the remains of Katrina in 2005 and dodging multiple TS (not always successfully) on these trips 2 years later, c'est la vie. 

This cell was not bad, 35mph with the gust front and some sustained 10-15's not a whole lot of thunder or lightning, A quick 0.4"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s been nice wx but with deluges every 3-4 days. 

1.41 for July ugh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Mass with a second straight day of over 300 cases.  But a second straight day of old data being worked in. 

Could be coming back around. 15 deaths in MA today, 17 in NY, 6 in CT. Not feeling confident for the 2nd wave during the fall/winter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Could be coming back around. 15 deaths in MA today, 17 in NY, 6 in CT. Not feeling confident for the 2nd wave during the fall/winter. 

Had the first death in VT in 43 days

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Had the first death in VT in 43 days

Just curious.  What are schools doing up there in the fall with such good metrics ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Just curious.  What are schools doing up there in the fall with such good metrics ?

My district’s (central part of Mass) school Committee just voted 5-4 to start the year full remote.   This completely suuuuuuuucckkkks.     Hopefully we can get back at least part time in person soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Just curious.  What are schools doing up there in the fall with such good metrics ?

Greenfield will be 2 days in class 3 days remote to start.  We have close to zero cases in the county right now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My district’s (central part of Mass) school Committee just voted 5-4 to start the year full remote.   This completely suuuuuuuucckkkks.     Hopefully we can get back at least part time in person soon. 

I mean how does a science teacher do labs remotely? The paranoia is off the charts. All these essential workers have hung in there day after day,daycares are open. I don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Could be coming back around. 15 deaths in MA today, 17 in NY, 6 in CT. Not feeling confident for the 2nd wave during the fall/winter. 

I would like to know when they make the determination for when wave 1 ends and wave 2 starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I mean how does a science teacher do labs remotely? The paranoia is off the charts. All these essential workers have hung in there day after day,daycares are open. I don't get it.

Schools are a tough one but I agree we should be in person at least some of the time.  Bad ventilation, inability to stay even 3 feet apart seem to be the biggest concerns the SC went by.     You can’t really compare schools to many other places but I think we should be there    
Our staff, the super, the head of the SC (mayor)(plus the parents of course) wanted at least a hybrid.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I mean how does a science teacher do labs remotely? The paranoia is off the charts. All these essential workers have hung in there day after day,daycares are open. I don't get it.

I’m kind of getting sick of the whining from people who don’t want to go back to work.

Nothing is risk free. I’ve been back to work full time for over 2 months. I have to fill out a self checker form daily before going in, wear a mask, etc etc. it’s less than ideal, but it’s life.

I know a ton of teachers, many of whom are saying nobody cares about their safety and they shouldn’t be going back etc etc. My response is, why are you any different than anyone else? There is going to be a ton of new protocols in place, just like everywhere else.

People have been working everyday through this 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m kind of getting sick of the whining from people who don’t want to go back to work.

Nothing is risk free. I’ve been back to work full time for over 2 months. I have to fill out a self checker form daily before going in, wear a mask, etc etc. it’s less than ideal, but it’s life.

I know a ton of teachers, many of whom are saying nobody cares about their safety and they shouldn’t be going back etc etc. My response is, why are you any different than anyone else? There is going to be a ton of new protocols in place, just like everywhere else.

People have been working everyday through this 

Trust me, the remote teaching is shitloads harder (and less effective) than in person.  The new protocols are pretty much impossible to follow (CDC says 6 feet apart, DESE says 3 feet is ok, neither is physically possible in most buildings).  Plexiglass isn’t being installed ($$$), no HVAC upgrades in most places, PPE will be minimal.     I really don’t think that most people care about the safety of teachers, or supermarket employees, or wait staff etc. The biggest concern voiced on the live stream by parents wasn’t the education of the kids, but how can they work?  A valid concern but that is not the purpose of schools.  I get it.  I really do.  The three proposals almost every district has suck in different ways.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So somewhat OT but our daughter had a reasonably lucrative baby sitting gig in this town right on the Canadian border about 40 minutes north of Burlington.   Heading up there for her second day the mom says oh btw our last sitter who the kids saw a week prior is sick and positive.   Of course neither she nor the kids wore masks indoors the previous day.  She called the VT public  health department and they told her not to worry.  She decided to quarantine and was tested yesterday for the 2nd time since moving there 7/1.   Negative results today is a huge relief!  She’ll celebrate by climbing Mt Ascutney wIth a friend.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I know a ton of teachers, many of whom are saying nobody cares about their safety and they shouldn’t be going back etc etc. My response is, why are you any different than anyone else? There is going to be a ton of new protocols in place, just like everywhere else.

People have been working everyday through this 

All the teachers I know have said it has been the hardest working period of their career going from home at the end of last year.  April/May/part of June sounded like long hours of work from home to make it happen.  Scheduling kids for video calls even at like 7-8pm.  I think every single teacher would prefer to be in the classroom but kids are germ factories, school ventilation is nil, and there's no way to socially distant (you are in close quarters with strangers for hours and hours).  One can see both sides of the argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I would like to know when they make the determination for when wave 1 ends and wave 2 starts.

For the northeast, it’s pretty easy to tell. Other regions, not sure. And nationally, it seems like one big slow oscillating wave. TBH I haven’t been paying close attention since we’ve done very well but I took a look at the data recently and it looks like nothing has changed nationally. Still struggling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.