• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter

doncat

Sounded like a war zone here last night. By far the most fireworks I've ever heard and seen. Tons and tons of big-time illegal stuff. I lit off a lot of stuff myself. It was a fun night. I didn't see police busting anyone in this area. I think they realized that people should be able to light off stuff and have fun themselves this year since most fireworks displays were cancelled.

• Like 1

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Sounded like a war zone here last night. By far the most fireworks I've ever heard and seen. Tons and tons of big-time illegal stuff. I lit off a lot of stuff myself. It was a fun night. I didn't see police busting anyone in this area. I think they realized that people should be able to light off stuff and have fun themselves this year since most fireworks displays were cancelled.

They would've had to arrest half the town 

17 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Am I the only one that finds it soothing? I’m from Jamaica, Queens, anything too quiet feels suspicious lol.

The humming of Air conditioners, Cicadas, fireworks and ice cream trucks = sounds of summer.

here in the city hearing  gunshots is also one of those summer sounds i am getting accustomed to....

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

here in the city hearing  gunshots is also one of those summer sounds i am getting accustomed to....

Yeah I left that part out lol, I’m so accustomed to both gunshots and fireworks that I can tell which one is which. Subtle differences, but after a while you can hear it.

Way less gunshots here in LI than in Queens though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Felt like a 4th of July of my youth (late 80’s early 90’s) with smoke filled neighborhoods and cracking being heard in every direction 

It really did..but its sounded like that for over a month now so it kind of wore out its welcome for me tbh.

New comet streaking across the sky this month, visible to the naked eye

“This morning was one of the first clear mornings since the first sighting of Comet NEOWISE,” Bakley wrote in an email Wednesday. “It’s safe to say it stunned us all! A morning treat I will surely never forget!”

Some good news for skywatchers: The comet will be visible the rest of this week — weather permitting — in the predawn hours, starting about 4 a.m.

If you’re not an early bird, don’t fret. Bakley said the comet is expected to return on July 14, and “if it continues to survive, then it will become visible in the evening sky after sunset.”

The best place to look is in the northeastern sky, Bakley said. “It will look like a faint star with a tail. It’s small but visible with the naked eye. Binoculars can provide a stunning view of it."

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/07/new-comet-streaking-across-the-sky-this-month-visible-to-the-naked-eye.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

You know this gonna be a weak piece of crap when the 3k NAM only has this down into the 990s (mb). 

If it gets named, all you're gonna hear is how it broke 2005's record for the earliest "F" storm... notwithstanding the fact that Dennis or Emily '05 will have generated more ACE in 6 hours than all of our first six systems this year put together.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

New comet streaking across the sky this month, visible to the naked eye

“This morning was one of the first clear mornings since the first sighting of Comet NEOWISE,” Bakley wrote in an email Wednesday. “It’s safe to say it stunned us all! A morning treat I will surely never forget!”

Some good news for skywatchers: The comet will be visible the rest of this week — weather permitting — in the predawn hours, starting about 4 a.m.

If you’re not an early bird, don’t fret. Bakley said the comet is expected to return on July 14, and “if it continues to survive, then it will become visible in the evening sky after sunset.”

The best place to look is in the northeastern sky, Bakley said. “It will look like a faint star with a tail. It’s small but visible with the naked eye. Binoculars can provide a stunning view of it."

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/07/new-comet-streaking-across-the-sky-this-month-visible-to-the-naked-eye.html

I expected this to get more press, but you dont hear about it in the media at all.

And how is it we weren't told about a comet approaching months ago?  Was this just discovered?

Also, they didn't say how far up in the NE sky to look?

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I expected this to get more press, but you dont hear about it in the media at all.

And how is it we weren't told about a comet approaching months ago?  Was this just discovered?

Also, they didn't say how far up in the NE sky to look?

Yeah I don't know. Sounds like they've known about it since March but is very unpredictable. Sounds like next week might be the best time to see it in the late evening

This month a cosmic visitor is gracing the skies. A comet swept past the sun on July 3, and it has since become visible to the naked eye. The rare opportunity to glimpse the chunk of ancient ice from the outer solar system should continue next week, when astronomers hope it will become even brighter.

Scientists using the Near-Earth Object Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer (NEOWISE) space telescope first spotted the comet as it hurtled toward the sun on March 27. Informally dubbed NEOWISE after the telescope but officially labeled C/2020 F3, the comet gradually brightened as sunlight and solar wind caused it to release gases and form a tail. In early June it reached the far side of the sun, as seen from Earth. The resulting glare prevented astronomers from observing the comet for several weeks. By late June, however, it swam back into the optics of another space telescope, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO). Its fate was still unclear, however: Would Comet NEOWISE brighten or fade?

On July 3 observers watched closely as the comet began the most perilous part of its journey: its nearest approach to the sun, which brought it within 44 million kilometers of our star. The intense light and heat from such close proximity tends to make comets disintegrate and disappear from the night sky. Earlier this year, such breakups befell two other comets, ATLAS and SWAN, that astronomers had hoped would light up Earth’s skies. But NEOWISE survived and emerged brighter than before to dazzle stargazers—provided they know where to look. Now, for the next few days at least, residents of the Northern Hemisphere can greet the passing visitor at dawn.

“For many people in the Northern Hemisphere, especially if you’re closer to the midlatitudes, [the comet] should be visible an hour before sunrise, very low in the northeastern sky,” says Kerry-Ann Lecky Hepburn, a meteorologist and astrophotographer who captured an image of Comet NEOWISE over Toronto. “Right now it’s located in the constellation Auriga.” She recommends finding the comet’s exact spot using specialized smartphone apps with interactive maps of the constellations. Although already visible to the naked eye, the object is still faint, and binoculars would offer a better view.

Starting around July 12, Comet NEOWISE will be visible in the evening instead, Lecky Hepburn says. About an hour after sunset, it will appear near the northwestern horizon. As the month progresses, it will rise higher in the sky, moving from the constellation Lynx toward the Big Dipper. On July 22 the comet will reach its closest point to Earth—a distance of 103 million kilometers—before continuing its cosmic flight. Whether it will still be visible to unaided eyes by then is uncertain, however.

“Comets are like cats,” says Franck Marchis, an astronomer at the SETI Institute. “They are unpredictable.” If Comet NEOWISE’s outgassing exhausts its reserves of icy material, its bright tail could dissipate, effectively removing the object from view. On the other extreme, ongoing heating from the sun could cause the comet to disintegrate in a bright outburst, potentially resulting in a highly visible “great comet” of historic significance. This possibility would be “a spectacular event and a great show for the earthlings,” Marchis says. But “personally, I recommend walking up early and going to see it now, while we know it’s here.”

After this encounter, astronomers expect Comet NEOWISE to bid farewell for quite some time. Its long, looping orbit around our star will next bring it back to Earth’s vicinity some 6,800 years from now.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/comet-neowise-could-be-spectacular-heres-how-to-see-it/

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic