Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter

doncat

On 7/17/2020 at 5:54 AM, ForestHillWx said:

My own losses were roughly 30% last year; but its due to varroa mites. Every beekeeper has to deal with it. I had just never heard of a queen bee die off  

Something to keep in mind is that honeybees are a non-native species to the Americans. Agreed they are vital for pollination of many crops used, but as important (if not more so) are native bees i.e. bumbles. Everyone should buy houses for them for their own yards.

Personally, in my opinion one of the biggest culprits are manicured lawns. I seed clover in my yard as hit helps with nitrogen fixation and drought tolerance (not to mention my bees love it), but my wife doesn't like it and is concerened my kids will get stung with increased bee presence. Fair points. 

I dont have any honey bees but plenty of bumbles, they're always welcome in my yard, and I dont think they sting anyone who doesn't bother them.  I do keep my distance from them though......

Once last year one somehow got into my bedroom and I grabbed a pair of gloves and gently put him/her back outside on a flower and s(he) went on their way as if nothing had happened.

17 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, the tail is holding its own despite the predictably fading coma. Still noticeably less bright than early mornings this past week, but remains impressive. Sad to think it will almost certainly be years and very possibly decades before another comet this bright comes around. 

You think one of these years, NASA will explode a nuke on an otherwise mundane comet just to give us a show ;-)

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Im going to be hiking in the white mountains in New Hampshire Thursday-Sunday. Think Neowise will still be bright enough to see?

Dark skies should help a lot, but even now binoculars are essential here in NYC. By Thursday it may be hard to locate without a sky guide. Good luck, it is worth making the effort to see it. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Dark skies should help a lot, but even now binoculars are essential here in NYC. By Thursday it may be hard to locate without a sky guide. Good luck, it is worth making the effort to see it. 

Star gazing in the whites is incredible. I just hope the comet stays bright enough until I’m up there. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

aint that the truth.

I'm waiting for another one of these "great" comets, I dont think we've had any in our lifetimes?

Hyakutake was amazing. In 1996 my girlfriend (now wife) and I drove here from CO at the end of March and for 3 nights it was huge across the windshield. When we went over one of the Continental Divide passes it was -40*F and crystally clear and that thing was just incredible. The next night in central NE on US Rt 34/36 where it's about as dark as dark can be was another incredible experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Hyakutake was amazing. In 1996 my girlfriend (now wife) and I drove here from CO at the end of March and for 3 nights it was huge across the windshield. When we went over one of the Continental Divide passes it was -40*F and crystally clear and that thing was just incredible. The next night in central NE on US Rt 34/36 where it's about as dark as dark can be was another incredible experience.

Lucky you!  My only prior comet was Halley's, a huge letdown, sort of a blob of no distinction or shape, even seen from an observatory in Stamford CT.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, gravitylover said:

Wait, that was a year before Hale-Bopp?  I wonder why I dont remember it in NY, maybe it couldn't be seen from here?

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Lovely map, albeit centered on Greenwich, England. The NYC scene is captured much less artistically but pretty well here: skymap_22jul20.png  

It is quite possible to see the comet from Manhattan, with the Central Park Reservoir track a good location, as it has a clear view. The comet was up perhaps 25*, less bright each night as it recedes from the sun, despite its being closest to earth on the 22nd. Incidentally, Saturn is showing beautifully as well currently, at opposition and with wide open rings.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 11:26 PM, etudiant said:

Lovely map, albeit centered on Greenwich, England. The NYC scene is captured much less artistically but pretty well here: skymap_22jul20.png  

It is quite possible to see the comet from Manhattan, with the Central Park Reservoir track a good location, as it has a clear view. The comet was up perhaps 25*, less bright each night as it recedes from the sun, despite its being closest to earth on the 22nd. Incidentally, Saturn is showing beautifully as well currently, at opposition and with wide open rings.

Yes, that will make Saturn a nice target for my camera. Even without a telescope it can be done with a nice long lens (around 600mm EFL.)

• Rjay unpinned this topic