Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter

doncat

8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Excellent video. Peak gusts look to be 80+. Does anyone have a radar loop of the event?

The local NWS has the radar loop in their summary. Easily winds over 80 mph. You can also see that area was near where the peak gusts were in the 100 to 130 mph range.

https://www.weather.gov/dvn/summary_081020

A powerful line of severe thunderstorms known as a "Derecho" tracked across eastern Iowa and northwest Illinois on the afternoon of Monday, August 10th producing widespread straight line wind damage. A swath of damage from Benton County, through portions of Linn, Jones, and Cedar Counties, is consistent with intermittent winds in the 110-130 mph range. A radio transmission tower north of Marion, Iowa in Linn County collapsed, due to straight line winds estimated around 130 mph. This speed would be equivalent to a strong EF2 tornado. The maximum measured wind gust was 112 mph at Midway, Iowa in Linn County.

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Long duration damaging winds with this derecho. Almost looks like you are watching a RFQ of a major hurricane cross the Gulf or Southeast Coast. Watching this 30 minute video gives you an idea why the damage was so extreme. 

Frightening, BW.  I’ve saved this and intend to pass it on. Is an event of this magnitude possible in our eastern metropolitan coastal areas. It looked like a summary execution by an angry atmosphere. As always .....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rclab said:

Frightening, BW.  I’ve saved this and intend to pass it on. Is an event of this magnitude possible in our eastern metropolitan coastal areas. It looked like a summary execution by an angry atmosphere. As always .....

We do get derechos but they're not nearly as common as they are in the midwest.

derechoclimo.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rclab said:

It’s especially scary when you or your property are at risk for getting hit by falling trees in such high winds. I believe the only comparable Derecho event in the Northeast was the Adirondack blowdown in July 1995. While the Labor Day Derecho in September 1998 was impressive here, the intensity and duration of the strongest winds wasn’t nearly as great. 

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/jul1995derechopage.htm

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2009/07/anniversary-of-the-great-adirondack-blowdown-of-1995.html

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2020 at 6:03 PM, bluewave said:

Yeah, interesting geographic pattern to the record heat. A more intense version of last July. The previous record warmest July in Phoenix was 2009.

E92A3302-E01A-45B9-8780-3472C642F54F.png.194d9caf51b1d78b1df663e5a55d858c.png
7277DDA0-2283-4932-AA6D-9F0625AACF0F.gif.dfb359b2dafe1a52ecc18bc72d6d508a.gif

wow diametrically opposite summers 2009 and 2020 lol

How did they do in 1993?  I'm curious because Death Valley's August temp records are from that year.

6 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Ive seen rjay. A model he is not. Dude completely outkicked his coverage in his marriage. 

I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting or seeing, however if I understand you correctly, despite a gap of generations. Mrs rjay did a much better analysis job of predicting the happiness Of her future than any of our Long term climate models. As always ....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rclab said:

I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting or seeing, however if I understand you correctly, despite a gap of generations. Mrs rjay did a much better analysis job of predicting the happiness her future than any of our Long term climate models. As always ....

Thank you.   I think lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

If you’re expecting a response from BX you’ll be disappointed...he’s busy watching a Hallmark Christmas movie as he gets his green and red jammies on 

I considered it but we watched diners drive-ins and dives while drinking allagash whites instead. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rjay said:

Hammered 

Screenshot_20200821-191747_Gallery.jpg

Lovely photo. It brought back memories for me, sadly long gone. The portrait was done a year before we met. Her memory room is where I can still see her. It opens up to our postage stamp. There I can walk,  remember and dream. As always ....

E23C4859-EDD1-4C50-91EC-8ACE48E055D4.jpeg

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, rclab said:

Lovely photo. It brought back memories for me, sadly long goneimageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486c. The portrait was done a year before we met. Her memory room is where I can still see her. It opens up to our postage stamp. There I can walk,  remember and dream. As always ....

E23C4859-EDD1-4C50-91EC-8ACE48E055D4.jpeg

Love this post.   I bet she's looking down smiling at all your posts.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Rjay unpinned this topic