Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter

doncat

18 hours ago, matt8204 said:

Things will never be the same in this country.  In fact, it's likely to be pretty miserable for several decades minimum.  The economy will never truly recover either but we need to pick up whatever pieces we can and try to go forward before it turns into a true banana republic.

AGW remains the dominant long-term threat to our way of life. The COVID fallout will be either totally mitigated or totally normalized – likely the latter – inside of a few years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

AGW remains the dominant long-term threat to our way of life. The COVID fallout will be either totally mitigated or totally normalized – likely the latter – inside of a few years.

That's kind of my point though.  If it takes that long, it's going to damage the country beyond repair.  I just don't like where we are headed whatsoever.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:41 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Link?

cant link you to a TV press conference :P  It was one of Cuomo's pressers (I think the one on Thursday?) where he listed the Finger Lakes region at 3% infection rate, while NYC was 0.9% and Long Island was 0.7%.  NYC and Long Island were down from 1.3% and 1.1% respectively and the Finger Lakes was up from around 1%

Good thing I still have a (near) photographic memory, because I dont save links :P

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Just look at whats going on in Siberia, never thought I'd see 100 degree temps in the high arctic and forest fires next to sea ice!

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

hopefully it will result in universal healthcare, needed reforms happen after terrible events....

On 6/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, uncle W said:

you know how many people will loose their business if they cant open...look whats happened already...enough with cowering in the corner...

I have a huge list of things that are more important than the economy.  also 50% capacity can work well if you change work hours and employ a different kind of work week schedule....time to get creative....

On 6/19/2020 at 5:39 PM, gravitylover said:

Yeah but when they're good they're SO good. I think my problem is going to be keeping the birds away from them and the blueberries.

how do you keep deer away from your flowers?  I put up a large fence but they just jump over it.  None of the repellent stuff is working either.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I have a huge list of things that are more important than the economy.  also 50% capacity can work well if you change work hours and employ a different kind of work week schedule....time to get creative....

Much as we would like to think that other things are more important, the economy is critical also. People living in poverty generally aren’t very healthy. The morale of the country will continue to plummet as this goes on if citizens feel increasingly hopeless. A poor financial situation also increases the chance for substance abuse, depression, suicide, anxiety, poor eating habits, etc. I’ve heard that domestic violence cases are through the roof in the past few months as well. This will also have an impact on critical public services. You can’t pay for them if you don’t have enough tax revenue in the coffers.

1 hour ago, matt8204 said:

Much as we would like to think that other things are more important, the economy is critical also. People living in poverty generally aren’t very healthy. The morale of the country will continue to plummet as this goes on if citizens feel increasingly hopeless. A poor financial situation also increases the chance for substance abuse, depression, suicide, anxiety, poor eating habits, etc. I’ve heard that domestic violence cases are through the roof in the past few months as well. This will also have an impact on critical public services. You can’t pay for them if you don’t have enough tax revenue in the coffers.

but without good healthcare and a better environment the rest doesn't really matter.  I believe we can find creative ways to deal with our new reality because we need to face facts....the old reality isnt ever coming back.  I would have 4 day work weeks (this may be coming based on what companies are now doing) and more shifts, for starters.  I've wanted a 4 day work week for almost 3 decades lol.  A less stressed society does come from a better economy but it also comes from more time for relaxation and being able to enjoy life rather than working oneself to death.  If that means we need to place a cap on how expensive living is...so be it.  I'd rather have cost controls in place than see costs increase ad infinitum without a concomitant rise in salaries.

16 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

whats your list...everything is based on the economy...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uncle W said:

whats your list...everything is based on the economy...

Bingo. DeBlasio just said NYC might have to cut at least 22,000 jobs. How is that good for anyone? As I alluded to last night, this is also going to impact essential public services. Health is important and we need to find the right balance but you don’t have a society without a functioning economy.

7 hours ago, matt8204 said:

Bingo. DeBlasio just said NYC might have to cut at least 22,000 jobs. How is that good for anyone? As I alluded to last night, this is also going to impact essential public services. Health is important and we need to find the right balance but you don’t have a society without a functioning economy.

.i don't think a bailout of state and city budgets is going to happen..

51 minutes ago, matt8204 said:

Maybe this is what has to happen in order for a necessary reckoning to take place. Bailouts often serve to just kick the can down the road even further. 

Yep remember the criticisms of the bloated city and state budgets the last couple of years...the economy was great so they spent like a drunken sailor, while some warned to be careful cause you never know. Well guess what "you never know" happened. Time to pay the piper and tighten your belts.

• Like 1

Congrats in advance central/snj again, for this saturday...lol 

We had an amazing year for thunderstorms last year in NYC metro...Did you guys forget about the baby bow echo that rolled through late august that produced 90 mph winds on LI and 50-60mph gusts from NENJ to the boroughs? Or the long tracked tornadic supercell that made its way from Scranton to Bayonne/S.I 

Im willing to pay the piper for that amazing year. Overall, as someone who enjoys seeing crazy weather, its been nice to enjoy some nice neutral weather for once. Knowing nature though, shes probably got something crazy in store for us later in the year. 

• Like 1

I was out mt biking yesterday and the forest is tinder dry. The season started out with great understory growth due to good moisture and a very slow start to leafout but then it dried out and that growth mostly died off quickly adding to the problem.  Between that and the last few years of storms and rotted branch drops during the very wet periods we had all of the fuel on the floor from the last few years is just waiting for a spark and with the additional huge numbers of people using the woods it's just a matter of when not if.

• Rjay unpinned this topic