• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Summer 2020 Banter

doncat

I have to use a buttload of pesticides against cucumber beetles and SVBs, so pollinators never come anywhere near my garden. Always have to pollinate cucurbits by hand, but just not getting any male blossoms so far on the summer squash. Yesterday's ovaries are still shiny and I'm wondering if this seed stock has some parthenocarpic traits? That'd be cool. Otherwise I'd have to assume the cool nights are just doing something funky to the plants' hormones.

I'm sure you probably know this and just want to be extra safe, but tomato & peppers have perfect flowers and generally don't need any help with pollination. They're good to go with even a little bit of wind.

• Like 1

I don't use any insecticides other than vinegar, Sluggo and Captain Jack's and those are only in select spots and never near flowers.

The flowers on my tomatoes were just closing every day with no fruit forming. I did it by hand 3 days ago and had a couple dozen by the end of the day yesterday so I did it again today. 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, gravitylover said:

I don't use any insecticides other than vinegar, Sluggo and Captain Jack's and those are only in select spots and never near flowers.

The flowers on my tomatoes were just closing every day with no fruit forming. I did it by hand 3 days ago and had a couple dozen by the end of the day yesterday so I did it again today. 

what about those devices that trap insects?  I have one with a blue bulb that traps gnats- I had a large swarm of them over the weekend following me around!

On 6/16/2020 at 2:37 PM, Juliancolton said:

I have to use a buttload of pesticides against cucumber beetles and SVBs, so pollinators never come anywhere near my garden. Always have to pollinate cucurbits by hand, but just not getting any male blossoms so far on the summer squash. Yesterday's ovaries are still shiny and I'm wondering if this seed stock has some parthenocarpic traits? That'd be cool. Otherwise I'd have to assume the cool nights are just doing something funky to the plants' hormones.

I'm sure you probably know this and just want to be extra safe, but tomato & peppers have perfect flowers and generally don't need any help with pollination. They're good to go with even a little bit of wind.

do you eat any of the stuff you spray pesticides on?  I stopped eating strawberries because they're on many lists for having the most pesticides on them.  Half of the pesticides sprayed in this country need to be banned (and are banned in Europe and Canada- unfortunately the chemical industry is in bed with American politicians, just like most other industries are.)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Better stay at Phase 2 until a vaccine is developed- the parts of the state that have gone into Phase 3 have seen a tripling of the infection rate.

That will never happen.  People  are getting impatient here and some are already  re opening with out his permission.

Traffic has also gotten worse

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

do you eat any of the stuff you spray pesticides on?  I stopped eating strawberries because they're on many lists for having the most pesticides on them.  Half of the pesticides sprayed in this country need to be banned (and are banned in Europe and Canada- unfortunately the chemical industry is in bed with American politicians, just like most other industries are.)

Nah, I just grow veggies and let them rot in the field for fun. :P I follow the warning labels, apply well before the minimum number of days before harvest, and so on. Carbaryl is potent stuff but generally pretty safe as long as you don't handle it for a living.

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Nah, I just grow veggies and let them rot in the field for fun. :P I follow the warning labels, apply well before the minimum number of days before harvest, and so on. Carbaryl is potent stuff but generally pretty safe as long as you don't handle it for a living.

I suppose washing everything thoroughly does the job too :P  The reason I quit eating strawberries was because I read that chlorpyrifos was sprayed on it, which was supposed to be banned, as it's been convincingly connected to brain damage, but needless to say there was an administration change in 2016 and the ban was rescinded.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

what about those devices that trap insects?  I have one with a blue bulb that traps gnats- I had a large swarm of them over the weekend following me around!

Ehh, those work alright for flying pests but don't do squat for the crawley things that eat my veggies. To be honest I prefer a ring of citronella candles/torches to the electronic things because I really don't want to listen to the constant zapping (although there is some satisfaction knowing that each one is one less annoying stinging critter in the world).

11 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I had to give up on ground grown strawberries because I don't like having to spend so much time debugging and keeping the squirrels and chipmunks away from them. I have all of my strawberries and tomatoes in hanging bags now and that seems to have done the trick. So far so good and if it keeps up this way for another few weeks we are going to be swimming in fresh tomatoes and strawberries. 

9 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Ehh, those work alright for flying pests but don't do squat for the crawley things that eat my veggies. To be honest I prefer a ring of citronella candles/torches to the electronic things because I really don't want to listen to the constant zapping (although there is some satisfaction knowing that each one is one less annoying stinging critter in the world).

I had to give up on ground grown strawberries because I don't like having to spend so much time debugging and keeping the squirrels and chipmunks away from them. I have all of my strawberries and tomatoes in hanging bags now and that seems to have done the trick. So far so good and if it keeps up this way for another few weeks we are going to be swimming in fresh tomatoes and strawberries. 

I couldn’t agree more G L. Over 35 years ago I tried in ground plants in a barren but relatively sunny area of my postage stamp. Knowing even less about soil for planting than I do now. I Just put them in the ground as is. The plants grew and did after a fashion bear some fruit. The only similarity my berries had to the variety shown on the plants sticker is that some might have been mistaken for being red. Its amazing how many interesting ingredients find their way into inner city soil after 140 years or so. Even though they looked like something taken from The Day Of The Triffids, the bushy tail tree rats made quick work of them, I received two ripped back yard window screens as a thank you. That or they wanted to make a personaL quality complaint. The berries may have been ugly and inedible but it certainly didn’t hurt the little b*******s libido any. The next year the yard could have been used as a climax scene from the movie Willard. (Yes the pun was intended, there goes another warning point) If this post seems over long and pointless, please check my brief response to Irish Rob above, As always ....

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

another day off the calendar without unbearable heat and humidity for the city .. i will take this kind of summer heat any day.. before you know it fall will be here...

if i cancelled winter on dec 19th everyone here would scream bloody murder. lol

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, LibertyBell said:

Better stay at Phase 2 until a vaccine is developed- the parts of the state that have gone into Phase 3 have seen a tripling of the infection rate.

I had to go to midtown today, first time I've been in Manhattan in months. Its kind of a different world down there in terms of social distancing, much more lax attitude..not FL level, but its still a different vibe. I think there is less people personally affected by covid compared to the other boros. So many people have died up here its still a terrifying thing to alot of people. 

On 6/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, LibertyBell said:

you know how many people will loose their business if they cant open...look whats happened already...enough with cowering in the corner...

On 6/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, uncle W said:

you know how many people will loose their business if they cant open...look whats happened already...enough with cowering in the corner...

Understood Unc., we have to move on with caution tempered with a a dose of common sense. It was like a homecoming at my barbershop early this morning. Getting rid of all that hair, at least where it still grows felt wonderful. I can cancel the curtain rods I ordered for my eyebrows. Small businesses that survive will have to recoup three months of lost income without losing three months of expenses. That challenge will be more than difficult. Onward ...... As always ......

6 hours ago, rclab said:

Understood Unc., we have to move on with caution tempered with a a dose of common sense. It was like a homecoming at my barbershop early this morning. Getting rid of all that hair, at least where it still grows felt wonderful. I can cancel the curtain rods I ordered for my eyebrows. Small businesses that survive will have to recoup three months of lost income without losing three months of expenses. That challenge will be more than difficult. Onward ...... As always ......

Things will never be the same in this country.  In fact, it's likely to be pretty miserable for several decades minimum.  The economy will never truly recover either but we need to pick up whatever pieces we can and try to go forward before it turns into a true banana republic.

• Rjay unpinned this topic