• Member Statistics

    15,930
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    David
    Newest Member
    David
    Joined
RUNNAWAYICEBERG

June Discussion

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

That year was one of PWM's driest on record. From July 1 through November 1 they only received ~ 5" rainfall. 

0.27" in August, 1.73" in September (but fell in basically two events), and another 0.26" in October.

I would think one of the key difference between now and then is the fact that we're greened up vs down.

And October's 0.26" came on the 29th, after the fires were pretty much under control.  Most of the fire damage came during the week Oct. 21-27 and the temps are shown below:
21   69   48
22   70   37
23   83   35   I think that's the latest that PWM has reached 83, though they hit 84 on 10/17.
24   59   26
25   65   20
26   65   37
27   73   39

 The worst came on 23-24 when strong SW winds abruptly veered to NW as a dry CF passed thru, with gusts 50+ reported.  Don't know the RH but the diurnal ranges give some indication.  Forest firefighters know they cannot attack the head of a crown fire and only work in front of it from a distance when setting up fire lines and/or burnouts, but rather attack the flanks and clean up the rear (pun intended.)  That wind shift turned the right flank into the head in a few minutes, putting a lot of folks in instant danger though I think the fatalities occurred elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am grateful that Greenfield has one of the nicest public town swimming areas I have ever been to and it is five minutes from our house!

1C6997F7-2801-4CE8-AAC6-33D72FFF72D7.thumb.jpeg.a7b9c6f44be61bb8ba9071642b5d9a51.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I am grateful that Greenfield has one of the nicest public town swimming areas I have ever been to and it is five minutes from our house!

 

That's sweet.  I love the natural town beaches over concrete pool jungles.

Is that the Deerfield River or part of the CT River?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a day... high of 81F with dews dipping into the 40s at max afternoon mixing.

Dog got what may be her last roll in the snow this afternoon.  We might try again on July 1st if it's still there.

Time to "shut 'em down."

75339469_10104233943135880_6287230752018

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What a day... high of 81F with dews dipping into the 40s at max afternoon mixing.

Dog got what may be her last roll in the snow this afternoon.  We might try again on July 1st if it's still there.

Time to "shut 'em down."

75339469_10104233943135880_6287230752018

That's a stubborn pile of snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That's a stubborn pile of snow.

Short growing season under that thing.  I love how you can see where the growing season has been able to get going with the grass, and where the recent melt has been (the wet spot).

It's only at 2,000ft but man-made snow in the shade can last a long time.  It's funny how you can see where one snow gun was left on for like 2 days too many in January... just churning out 30 gallons a minute of water into snow under it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Short growing season under that thing.  I love how you can see where the growing season has been able to get going with the grass, and where the recent melt has been (the wet spot).

It's only at 2,000ft but man-made snow in the shade can last a long time.  It's funny how you can see where one snow gun was left on for like 2 days too many in January... just churning out 30 gallons a minute of water into snow under it.

How often do they mow the runs to keep the grass down (if at all)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

How often do they mow the runs to keep the grass down (if at all)?

Only once a season, starting in August and continuing through the fall.  They let it grow as high as it wants or can, then knock it down late summer.  Takes a while to cover the ski resort acreage, as its a real slow process dragging the mowing attachment behind a snowcat.  The ground cover grows quickly this time of year, and seems to max out as high grasses, ferns, and wild flowers.  That stuff goes dormant pretty fast after the first couple frosts/freezes at elevations in the early fall.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I am grateful that Greenfield has one of the nicest public town swimming areas I have ever been to and it is five minutes from our house!

1C6997F7-2801-4CE8-AAC6-33D72FFF72D7.thumb.jpeg.a7b9c6f44be61bb8ba9071642b5d9a51.jpeg

Mine literally is a 5 minute walk too

Moosup-Pond.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That's sweet.  I love the natural town beaches over concrete pool jungles.

Is that the Deerfield River or part of the CT River?

Green River Valley, runs right through our neighborhood, part of our unique winter CAD.   
Also, a phenomenal River with many bare ass swimming holes and also the super nice family area I posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap , I know we need rain but let's hope the Euro is 100% wrong with these temps. Lots of folks on vacation that would rival worst July 4ths in history , cut off low hell

download - 2020-06-27T062215.816.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EPS has a trough too, but nothing like the euro op. I’ll sell the euro op, but it is possible the 4th certainly will not be as hot as recent ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tamarack said:

And October's 0.26" came on the 29th, after the fires were pretty much under control.  Most of the fire damage came during the week Oct. 21-27 and the temps are shown below:
21   69   48
22   70   37
23   83   35   I think that's the latest that PWM has reached 83, though they hit 84 on 10/17.
24   59   26
25   65   20
26   65   37
27   73   39

 The worst came on 23-24 when strong SW winds abruptly veered to NW as a dry CF passed thru, with gusts 50+ reported.  Don't know the RH but the diurnal ranges give some indication.  Forest firefighters know they cannot attack the head of a crown fire and only work in front of it from a distance when setting up fire lines and/or burnouts, but rather attack the flanks and clean up the rear (pun intended.)  That wind shift turned the right flank into the head in a few minutes, putting a lot of folks in instant danger though I think the fatalities occurred elsewhere.

And if I remember correctly they tried to set up fire breaks along highways like Route 1, but the strong winds allowed the flames to jump the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Holy crap , I know we need rain but let's hope the Euro is 100% wrong with these temps. Lots of folks on vacation that would rival worst July 4ths in history , cut off low hell

download - 2020-06-27T062215.816.png

Yes please :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OceanStWx said:

And if I remember correctly they tried to set up fire breaks along highways like Route 1, but the strong winds allowed the flames to jump the road.

The Kennebunk fire jumped not only Rt 1 but more than a half mile of ocean to torch a small island off the coast of Kennebunkport.  In the 1963 Jersey pine barrens fire, a firebreak was set up on the Garden State Parkway - 4 lanes, shoulders and a grassy median.  It worked for 4-5 miles of highway but jumped a mile long section.  All that blackened woods was impressive a couple months later when my dad took us down to Tuckerton to fish on Great Bay.  Updrafts of a hot fire can carry burning bits of wood a long way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Holy crap , I know we need rain but let's hope the Euro is 100% wrong with these temps. Lots of folks on vacation that would rival worst July 4ths in history , cut off low hell

download - 2020-06-27T062215.816.png

The hot droughty summer marches on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost at Newport . Long live summer .

Stowe had to many restrictions 

We beach , then we hide from the weather this afternoon, then out tonite , beach tomorrow 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Almost at Newport . Long live summer .

Stowe had to many restrictions 

We beach , then we hide from the weather this afternoon, then out tonite , beach tomorrow 

Go check out Lake Willoughby. Gorgeous! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Almost at Newport . Long live summer .

Stowe had to many restrictions 

We beach , then we hide from the weather this afternoon, then out tonite , beach tomorrow 

See, that’s what it’s all about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.