Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

Just now, dryslot said:

Sell that GFS, Hard sell.

Gotta really watch using QPF/total precipitation maps in the summer. They're heavily skewed by convection and obviously since the models (well outside of the CAMS) don't resolve convection well they'll just show what looks like widespread precipitation when that isn't the case. Now...if there happened to be some type of synoptic weather system responsible for producing large-scale precipitation that's different. TBH, those maps are almost kinda useless in the summer. 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Gotta really watch using QPF/total precipitation maps in the summer. They're heavily skewed by convection and obviously since the models (well outside of the CAMS) don't resolve convection well they'll just show what looks like widespread precipitation when that isn't the case. Now...if there happened to be some type of synoptic weather system responsible for producing large-scale precipitation that's different. TBH, those maps are almost kinda useless in the summer. 

Oh for sure it's a lot more localized in the summer.  But I do think there's more synoptic lift there with the upper level low pinwheeling energy around it than your generic convection with really small heavy rain footprints.  I bet in that outcome you'd have small areas with more QPF than expected.

That GFS run was a rainy week.  This is the one time I think I lean with Kev though that you have to nod to drier out-comes until proven otherwise, which is a horrible way to forecast weather but hard to buck the trend.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Oh for sure it's a lot more localized.  But I do think there's more synoptic lift there with the upper level low than your generic convection with really small heavy rain footprints. 

That GFS run was a rainy week.  This is the one time I think I lean with Kev though that you have to nod to drier out-comes until proven otherwise, which is a horrible way to forecast weather but hard to buck the trend.

Even with next week...I'm not so sure there is a tremendous amount of lift with this thing. Not sure how widespread any precipitation will be. Certainly may be scattered enough to where more of an area has a chance for something 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Guess I should pay attention to the weather and not the doom machine.  Nice thunderstorms in RI and Mass,  watched that build over my head, more CU forming right now 

Yeah, nice coastal boundary helped flare those up.  Looks somewhat stationary too.

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yes, There is not going to be widespread amounts unless its an organized low pressure system, Yes some may see those totals but who knows where they end up.

Just now, dryslot said:

Yes, There is not going to be widespread amounts unless its an organized low pressure system, Yes some may see those totals but who knows where they end up.

Highest totals perhaps in the orographically favored areas though will depend on winds. I also wouldn't be surprised to see it weaken a bit more quickly than guidance shows. Perhaps Tuesday offers the best chance for anything more scattered-to-numerous. 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Even with next week...I'm not so sure there is a tremendous amount of lift with this thing. Not sure how widespread any precipitation will be. Certainly may be scattered enough to where more of an area has a chance for something 

I think if the GFS was right with the ULL there would be some decent rainfall totals in narrow zones.  Is it right?  Probably not, ha.

It's not a winter synoptic widespread precip, it rarely is in the summer, but I bet there'd be some narrow axis of heavy rain next week if this sat and spun for 3 days like it has.  Hell it probably would end up more over NY State or something, but someone would get a nice drink.

Dew points in the 60s it looks like, decent PWATs, if something got going I bet it would be slow moving and a few counties get drenched.

gfs_z500_vort_neus_18.thumb.png.edefc272011c06d8b783ebdfa5b28d69.png

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Highest totals perhaps in the orographically favored areas though will depend on winds. I also wouldn't be surprised to see it weaken a bit more quickly than guidance shows. Perhaps Tuesday offers the best chance for anything more scattered-to-numerous. 

Ha, It could be right though as this area usually ends up getting 7-10'd   lol

image.thumb.png.198c7240f8297f2d25f57abc4041416d.png

• Haha 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

I think if the GFS was right with the ULL there would be some decent rainfall totals in narrow zones.  Is it right?  Probably not, ha.

It's not a winter synoptic widespread precip, it rarely is in the summer, but I bet there'd be some narrow axis of heavy rain next week if this sat and spun for 3 days like it has.  Hell it probably would end up more over NY State or something, but someone would get a nice drink.

gfs_z500_vort_neus_18.thumb.png.edefc272011c06d8b783ebdfa5b28d69.png

Having a deeper cold pool with this would help substantially...perhaps lapse rates will be steeper right in the vicinity of the low but might be a very narrow area. Outside of this they should be rather horrific actually. Even some better dynamics would help alot. 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Those winds on that H5 look would be a convection killer for here so i am not going to place much stock in seeing anything more then some scattered precip at best.

I bet it evolves towards eastern NY, Berkshires, Litchfield Hills, W. CT area.... or maybe even further west?