• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Discussion

weatherwiz

I got a Met buddy down south of ORH in Auburn Ma ....he has a higher end tech set up at his place - backyard .. yup  His neighborhood's 600' el.  Just txt'ed with him and he's saying yes, the DP graph dips and correlates with the gusting pattern of the wind - that's fits Brian and my intuitive idea about mixing proficiency.   He does, however, say that 5 to 7 F movements are not that uncommon - that's a pretty big spread based on pooling alone.  Fascinating.  It's a micro-Met study thing -

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tip knew what he was doing with that post. I like it. Everyone has seen the studies that ASOS are almost always low due to tarmacs vs home stations which are measuring real environments where people live. 

We live in those few yards of transpirationally enhanced air next to the ground and feel its effects.  Forecasters need to look at the miles of air above that, and for dews those ASOS reading probably better reflect the airmass. 

Yesterday and today were both supposed to clear in late morning.  Yesterday never did clear and today the clouds were gone by 8 :30 and except for some teeny puffs have stayed away.  Average the two and the forecast was dead on in MBY.  Currently 80/60 (dew extrapolated from nearby station) - we take in mid July, a bit sticky right now because we hadn't seen dews in the 50s yet this season. 

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We live in those few yards of transpirationally enhanced air next to the ground and feel its effects.  Forecasters need to look at the miles of air above that, and for dews those ASOS reading probably better reflect the airmass. 

Yesterday and today were both supposed to clear in late morning.  Yesterday never did clear and today the clouds were gone by 8 :30 and except for some teeny puffs have stayed away.  Average the two and the forecast was dead on in MBY.  Currently 80/60 (dew extrapolated from nearby station) - we take in mid July, a bit sticky right now because we hadn't seen dews in the 50s yet this season. 

Nice! That’s hot for your area even in July !

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yes, it's why you never look at PWS dewpoints when trying to forecast for severe wx or something.

Also, a lot of those "comfort" charts that were created back in the day were based on airport obs dewpoints. So when they said "anything above 65F is very uncomfortable", it really means airport dews going above 65F. I've often seen 61F at airports while its near 70F dewpoints at a lot of the PWSs.

• Like 1

I got 87, 88 and 89 now within 2 clicks of mi casa and all have DPs 67 or higher. 

I walk down the street with that 5 mph zephyr deep wind chill and it is definitely quite warm/sensibly.  To be fair, we have not had DPs over 60 with combining air T of 84 at any point since...I dunno, last September?  ...not where I have been.. So, this may be giving me a bit of a faux impression of things - still... it feels hotter than any of the ap/NWS site readings as of last check. 84/62 ... 

4 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

temp has been dropping last 45 min.. down to 74.8 coastal front?

seabreeze perhaps ... "front" doesn't have the mechanics ...just sayn' but yeah. You can see it on hi res imagery why you don't live there if you like summer. lol.. 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

seabreeze perhaps ... "front" doesn't have the mechanics ...just sayn' but yeah. You can see it on hi res imagery why you don't live there if you like summer. lol.. 

yeah, I never thought I was far enough east for the seabreeze, but wifey got me a new weather station and now I'm tracking all the different micro stuff.. pretty cool.

3 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

yeah, I never thought I was far enough east for the seabreeze, but wifey got me a new weather station and now I'm tracking all the different micro stuff.. pretty cool.

even as far inland as Ayer here...about 10 mi as the crow flies west of the NW arc of I-495 ... this about the terminus of the average breeze-banged day ...the cu seem to know not to develop and get scoured out, even tho by the time the momentum of the boundary is waxing it almost doesn't feel cooler.  \

T-sensy but you can see the scour line here: https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=local-Rhode_Island-02-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

even as far inland as Ayer here...about 10 mi as the crow flies west of the NW arc of I-495 ... this about the terminus of the average breeze-banged day ...the cu seem to know not to develop and get scoured out, even tho by the time the momentum of the boundary is waxing it almost doesn't feel cooler.  \

T-sensy but you can see the scour line here: https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=local-Rhode_Island-02-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

wow you definitely can see it on sat.. thanks for linking.  Now that I think deeper about it, all those dying severe storms as the approach my hood should be enough evidence that I'm far enough east..:)

Looks like I may be wrong about the Logan flipping off -shore late deal. The gradient is too S. Combining that with the thermal balancing maintains a SE inflow at shore points. 

Great sat/vis loop of fisherman's spirit bending around Cape Ann... bet you can see the translucence apparitional shreds as they haunt the early summer sky ..back lit by the sun.

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looks like I may be wrong about the Logan flipping off -shore late deal. The gradient is too S. Combining that with the thermal balancing maintains a SE inflow at shore points. 

Great sat/vis loop of fisherman's spirit bending around Cape Ann... but you can see the translucence apparitional shreds as they haunt the early summer sky ..back lit by the sun.

Looks like seabreaze boundary is right along Rt 128 S of BOS.

79°/64° F off a high of 82° F. Awful, I hate it, especially since there's so little breeze. I didn't reach or exceed 80° F until July 4th last year. 

Black flies have been brutal lately, but don't seem quite as bad today due to the heat. No deer flies yet, but they won't be far behind with this type of weather. 

11 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

79°/64° F off a high of 82° F. Awful, I hate it, especially since there's so little breeze. I didn't reach or exceed 80° F until July 4th last year. 

Black flies have been brutal lately, but don't seem quite as bad today due to the heat. No deer flies yet, but they won't be far behind with this type of weather. 

Long hot summer up there. Get a few installed into the windows. 

1 hour ago, snowman21 said:

Moved it where? It's in the middle of a park, full of trees.

I don't know if the site was actually changed, but there has been discussions that the ever taller and broader trees nearby might be having too much impact on temp/dew readings there.

Wasn't expecting this type of warmth (insert "We tried to tell them" here). The little one and I were drenched with sweat walking around the Quabbin, even with the shade and breeze. Truck in the parking lot said 94* baking in the sun, shack temp gauge in the shade said 86*. A nice 81/58 at home and only 73* inside with all the windows open.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nice! That’s hot for your area even in July !

This is legit heat for July and August for sure.  +20C at 850mb over southern Quebec.

BTV hit at least 91F...

First 90s in New England this warm season?

Torching at the NNE Mtn valley spots.  From fake cold to fake heat.

88F here at MVL

89F at BML

88F at SLK 

87F at MPV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is legit heat for July and August for sure.  +20C at 850mb over southern Quebec.

BTV hit at least 91F...

First 90s in New England this warm season?

Torching at the NNE Mtn valley spots.  From fake cold to fake heat.

88F here at MVL

89F at BML

88F at SLK 

87F at MPV

It’s great and great to see all the NNE’ers embrace it and enjoy it