Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Discussion

weatherwiz

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

What are we looking at for dews next couple days .

NWS sites 64, home stations to 71 type of layout would be my guess.

NWS is calibrated, but so to ( supposedly .. ) are these home techs.  It's an interesting disparity that seems to pop more in the late spring through early autumn where home averages run wet. 

It could be legit, but over-top conditioning.  Like, most NWS sites are situated near or over tarmacs at ap's.  Where as Joe Schmo's state of the art home station with a wind ana propeller and gomer stat hardons might be set up near gardens where they've just run the hose under a blazing Tuscon sun all day.  There's that, but also just being more foliage and greenery and in general exposure to soil moisture probably legit gooses it.  Those are probably real DPs and the airport tarmacs sort do civility a miss-rep ... it's too consistent not to be some value there. Either way... it certainly provides for spirited arguments -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

NWS sites 64, home stations to 71 type of layout would be my guess.

NWS is calibrated, but so to ( supposedly .. ) are these home techs.  It's an interesting disparity that seems to pop more in the late spring through early autumn where home averages run wet. 

It could be legit, but over-top conditioning.  Like, most NWS sites are situated near or over tarmacs at ap's.  Where as Joe Schmo's state of the art home station with a wind ana propeller and gomer stat hardons might be set up near gardens where they've just run the hose under a blazing Tuscon sun all day.  There's that, but also just being more foliage and greenery and in general exposure to soil moisture probably legit gooses it.  Those are probably real DPs and the airport tarmacs sort do civility a miss-rep ... it's too consistent not to be some value there. Either way... it certainly provides for spirited arguments -

There's much better mixing at airports and most sites I've seen look fairly arid with not a lot of evapotranspiration nearby. Most of these home sites have sprinklers, pools, trees, shrubs, lush LESCO filled grass, etc. There's also better accuracy with ASOS although some of the newer Davis thermohygrometers have much better RH accuracy than previous versions.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tip knew what he was doing with that post. I like it. Everyone has seen the studies that ASOS are almost always low due to tarmacs vs home stations which are measuring real environments where people live. 

So toss the BDL temp then?

• Haha 1

mm..  Both fire stations at Ayer and Shirly center are 70 and 67 respectively, and there are no tarmacs around either.   Ayer is probably better mixed out of the two, as that setting has no overhang and it's sky in all directions over that site... But Shirley's is in the nador of kettle topography with woods nearby ...you'd think it'd be the other way around. 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Ones With trees and grass 

Until the wind blows. That's Brian's partial point; the tarmacs at ap's are going to be wide up spanses of better exposure to wind and mixing. Circumstantially, that means that if a gust of wind penetrates the relative denser neighborhood setting ... you almost wonder if those back-yard rural stations might have dips in their graphs more -

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Until the wind blows. That's Brian's partial point; the tarmacs at ap's are going to be wide up spanses of better exposure to wind and mixing. Circumstantially, that means that if a gust of wind penetrates the relative denser neighborhood setting ... you almost wonder if those back-yard rural stations might have dips in their graphs more -

Or if they put ASOS in environments such as Central Park , perhaps we’d see higher dews and lower temps... 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Couldn’t have teed it up any better. Thanks for your playing! You are the winner 

Well I actually do agree that dews can be higher in more vegetative areas and where surface moisture is more readily retained. I said that in my first post. But I don't think it's a 5F+ difference like we see sometimes with some home stations vs ASOS. If Davis ever develops compatibility to the Sensirion I2C sensors we can start using the SHT35 and SHT85 sensors in our stations which are highly accurate across the entire temperature range.

image.png

image.png

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Where do you think KNYC is?

Remember where they used to have it there , before they moved it? Point being. The Temps and dews are a product of their local environments. Which is why the argument the home stations are real is a win and a mic drop for those folks that understand and argue that sort of thing. 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Remember where they used to have it there , before they moved it? Point being. The Temps and dews are a product of their local environments. Which is why the argument the home stations are real is a win and a mic drop for those folks that understand and argue that sort of thing. 

It’s been at Central Park for 60 years or more...

• Haha 1