Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Windspeed

1 hour ago, the ghost of leroy said:

It’s not trolling. If you want to become a real tropical poster you should be able to recognize the Mexican coastline. 

Didn't know "real tropical poster" was a prerequisite for posting...lol Now I will admit my general geography skills aren't the best, but this I still say the image was kind of a quiz question because of there being no other point of reference visible (I'm used to looking at it in relation to Texas, lol)

I can't believe we are gonna hit the Greek names. I don't like changing things set in stone, as our hurricane name lists have been for over 40 years. However, I think adding three additional letters to the Atlantic name lists would be a good way to prevent frequent exhaustion of the name list, as well as media sensationalism. 

This is already done in the Eastern Pacific. The Eastern Pacific uses the letters X, Y and Z. They have one female name for each letter, and one male name for each letter, and alternate them every two years rather than the way the main name list alternates every six years.

I think adding those three letters to the Atlantic lists would be simple, and their infrequent usage and only needing a total of six different names for all six lists would make the situation much easier.

So I'm proposing something like this:

examplexyznames22.png

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the ghost of leroy said:

You need to learn your coastlines

C'mon now I knew where it was and all and recognized the coast but that blue line is not the best representation of the Mexican coast. But again, I also realized...what other coastline would it be? lol.

Y'all are so petty to each other on here sometimes. lol

I also agree that there are plenty of X, Y, and Z names and they should be used before we...uh...go Greek and all.

2 hours ago, sojitodd said:

C'mon now I knew where it was and all and recognized the coast but that blue line is not the best representation of the Mexican coast. But again, I also realized...what other coastline would it be? lol.

Y'all are so petty to each other on here sometimes. lol

I also agree that there are plenty of X, Y, and Z names and they should be used before we...uh...go Greek and all.

Pettiness is my favorite form of gatekeeping. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Didn't know "real tropical poster" was a prerequisite for posting...lol Now I will admit my general geography skills aren't the best, but this I still say the image was kind of a quiz question because of there being no other point of reference visible (I'm used to looking at it in relation to Texas, lol)

Don’t worry he thinks Tallahassee is in central Florida lol

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Now...if I may ask a rookie question...what exactly is ACE, and how is it measured? (I hear you guys mention ACE so much but I've never really understood it, lol)

Accumulated cyclone energy. It's calculated by how long a storm lasts and how intense it gets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulated_cyclone_energy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This season feels similar to 2004 in terms of impacts, however instead of tracking powerful, longtracking canes that usually made landfall past their peak, we've been tracking areas of vorticity and elongated waves that suddenly decide to get their act together within days of landfall 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

This season feels similar to 2004 in terms of impacts, however instead of tracking powerful, longtracking canes that usually made landfall past their peak, we've been tracking areas of vorticity and elongated waves that suddenly decide to get their act together within days of landfall 

Some people made comparisons to '05 early on, in terms of not only potential insane storm counts but also the potential of a western basin-based season without many if any strong hurricanes in the open Atlantic east of 50 degrees and south of 20. The intensifying-into-landfall them though was not there that season, although Wilma was at least holding its own on a secondary post-Yucatan peak after its initial, record-breaking one.

The only storm in those two apocalyptic seasons that RI'ed into landfall was Charley.

3 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

That's the worst type of development one day, tropical storm, literally 12 hours later it's a cat 2

The new gulf disturbance is in warmest part of the gulf. So that could turn ugly