Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, alex said:

Unless the reason is that nobody cares but me since the trails would really only be accessible from my house... And the NFS doesn't have enough volunteers as it is to maintain the existing trails

I wouldn't clear trails on property that doesn't belong to me....but that's just me. 

36 minutes ago, alex said:

Does anyone know what the rules are for clearing trails in National Forest? We took a walk this morning from the back of my house up towards the upper chair at West Mountain (all National Forest land), and it turns out there are what looks like old trails that are overgrown but have clear signs of human activity (chainsawed trees) and even from satellite images you can see paths that are cleared heading up the mountain. I was wondering what the laws are on cleaning up some of these trails? It was very a very cool walk - plus if I went all the way I could ski all the way back lol

Yeah I wouldn’t touch anything at all. 

There are heavily fines for clearing state or federal land without approval.  They take it as destruction of federal property. 

People have gotten in serious trouble for cutting stuff to create backcountry ski Glades.  

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There are heavily fines for clearing state or federal land without approval.  They take it as destruction of federal property. 

People have gotten in serious trouble for cutting stuff to create backcountry ski Glades.  

Remember the guys who cut their own line down the backside of Jay a few years ago?  That was State land not federal but they got like a $17,000 fine. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Well yes I definitely wouldn't do without approval. Mostly wondering how hard it is to get approval 

32 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Remember the guys who cut their own line down the backside of Jay a few years ago?  That was State land not federal but they got like a $17,000 fine. 

Yeah they come to mind.  At Stowe we have signs everywhere with the penalties if you get caught cutting your own trails in the Mansfield State Forest... people do it sometimes but for the most part it’s really a bad idea... if some State Game Warden catches you with any saw or loppers it will not go well.  They can even seize your car or truck you drove to the mountain in that day. 

15 minutes ago, alex said:

Well yes I definitely wouldn't do without approval. Mostly wondering how hard it is to get approval 

From what I’ve understood, the chances of a private resident getting approval to cut or do trail work is near 0%.  It would likely have to be under some organization or business... like the Catamount Trail Association in Vermont gets approval to trim along that trail.  I’m sure VAST snowmobile trails fall under their organization if it’s on state land but @mreaves probably knows a lot more about snowmobile trail Maintenance.

But honestly I have no idea or experience with federal land and NH laws.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

From what I’ve understood, the chances of a private resident getting approval to cut or do trail work is near 0%.  It would likely have to be under some organization or business... like the Catamount Trail Association in Vermont gets approval to trim along that trail.  

Yeah I thought that would probably be the case. They gave me permission to mow a path in the bird sanctuary in front of my house at one point, but that's different. I'll give them a call next week and see what they say! 

I'm other news, just started raining

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Loved The Wire. Like Bosch too. A different type of great series that is off beat and entertaining is After Life with Ricky Gervais. Another fantastic series is Fauda its subtitled but is about Israeli anti terrorist and  Hamas terrorism squads with incredible insight to both sides. I have a bunch of series under my belt from my days housebound from medical to now isolation 

Thanks man, I’ll look that up.  I love those type of shows.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

From what I’ve understood, the chances of a private resident getting approval to cut or do trail work is near 0%.  It would likely have to be under some organization or business... like the Catamount Trail Association in Vermont gets approval to trim along that trail.  I’m sure VAST snowmobile trails fall under their organization if it’s on state land but @mreaves probably knows a lot more about snowmobile trail Maintenance.

Yes we have landowner permission forms for trails to cross people’s land, State, Private or Federal. There are strict rules about working in the Green Mt. National Forest and VAST has a good working relationship with them. We still have to follow rules though and get all work approved ahead of time and it has to jibe with the forest management plan. Most of our trails in the GMNF use forest roads but when things like bridges need replacing they are usually to a higher standard than we normally require. That’s a lot of words just to say you need to get permission to work on anyone else’s land. Lol

Really sad to see Burbank go. I’m old enough to remember when he started at WBZ. I was glad he mentioned that he nailed the 87 April snowstorm. We didn’t get anything here. But I remember he was the only forecaster saying higher elevations were going to get croaked. He nailed the April Fools day storm too.

10 hours ago, psv88 said:

End of season 3 Ozark was great. Season 3 in Breaking bad was also incredible. For me, Season 3 breaking bad still takes the cake, but Ozark season 3 was pretty close. 

Billions is good, but not close to the others. Game of Thrones of course is up there as well, but some people are not into that type of show. 

Funny you mention season 3 of bb as the best. I thought it was the worst of all 5 seasons. That being said still amazing. I’d rank them 5,4,2,1,3 best to worst.

Ozark season 3 was the best so far. Great show all seasons.

My list is as follows best tv drama series

1. The Wire - greatest show of all time

2. Breaking Bad - close 2nd, Classic

3. The Sopranos - the show that started it all, great

4. Better Call Saul - almost as good as bb, some say it’s better, A+ story and acting

5. Sons of Anarchy - drama and action from start to finish, good story

Others: Ozark (tbd may move up), Banshee (almost in my top 5), Ray Donovan, Good Behavior

i recommend watching any of those shows during lockdown.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Funny you mention season 3 of bb as the best. I thought it was the worst of all 5 seasons. That being said still amazing. I’d rank them 5,4,2,1,3 best to worst.

4. Better Call Saul - almost as good as bb, some say it’s better, A+ story and acting

Others: Ozark (tbd may move up), Banshee (almost in my top 5), Ray Donovan, Good Behavior

My top 3 would be 

1.) Game of thrones(minus season 8)

2.) Dexter

3.) Breaking Bad

Other incredible shoes are Dark, Mindhunter, Sherlock Holmes (currently watching) 

I watched 3 episodes of Ozark and thought it was pretty bad. Is it worth to keep watching? 

Some shows not mentioned that are really good:

Available to stream:

Foyle's War  (English police drama set during WW2 )

Shetland:  (Scottish dark police drama)

Hinterland  (Welsh very dark police drama set on west coast)

Chuck - some of the best supporting characters anywhere

A Good Place-   name another show built around moral philosphy lessons in each episode.

Hard to find (Facebook I think)

Buffy , Angel.

Also, is next weekend looking dry or just warmer?

8 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Yes sons of Anarchy was very good as well, underrated show

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Just watched finale of Homeland. Very good show and sad to see it ending.

For Breaking Bad fans... Better Call Saul is a spin-off . Fantastic show and highly recommend

Love Saul. I don't have Showtime anymore but absolutely loved Homeland