Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn, 16.5”.  I was going to say that deck looked like 6”... maybe 8?  South facing though and could be windswept... I think the standard building code is the bottom rung of a railing can’t be more than 4” off the deck so I was going off that as an estimate.  

That cocorahs site is at something like 1775', so 500' or so higher than Rt 2.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I am bit confused by something. The SPC mentions capping across the Deep South. I’m not totally sure I see capping...at least capping to inhibit convection from forming too early or whatever. I do see capping which may inhibit vertical growth but too me it looks like a pretty dirty warm sector tomorrow with a rapidly weakening EML and poor llvl lapse rates. 

thoughts? 

None

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

@tamarack do you have power? My bro-in-law has been in your area with an out-of-state line company.

Went up to Meredith this morning and raked leaves for almost 7 hours - never seen so many acorns from two oak we have - when the sun went behind the clouds, temp dropped by 10 degrees. Ragged Mountain was covered in snow this morning. There was snow on Gunstock mountain too.

[mention=243]tamarack[/mention] do you have power? My bro-in-law has been in your area with an out-of-state line company.
Went up to Meredith this morning and raked leaves for almost 7 hours - never seen so many acorns from two oak we have - when the sun went behind the clouds, temp dropped by 10 degrees. Ragged Mountain was covered in snow this morning. There was snow on Gunstock mountain too.

Bunch of power trucks from NJ here. They hooked us up today
  • Like 1

The afternoon sunshine and temps hitting the 40s torched the valley snow here around here pretty fast (it was only 1-3" depending on surface).

But one of the more interesting parts of the melt was while the sun/temps were torching the ground, all the snow remained vertically pasted to the trees.

Very odd look to have grass but the tree trunks still stuck with snow.

Untitled2.jpg.f8912bca24f2533cf6de464f78ad63d8.jpg

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

That cocorahs site is at something like 1775', so 500' or so higher than Rt 2.

Yeah it’s about 250-275 higher than his place. The house is around 1500. Not a huge elevation difference but in a marginal setup it can matter. 

Also, it’s April and compaction is going to be big once the sun comes out. Looked sunny in that pic. 

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The afternoon sunshine and temps hitting the 40s torched the valley snow here around here pretty fast (it was only 1-3" depending on surface).

But one of the more interesting parts of the melt was while the sun/temps were torching the ground, all the snow remained vertically pasted to the trees.

Very odd look to have grass but the tree trunks still stuck with snow.

Untitled2.jpg.f8912bca24f2533cf6de464f78ad63d8.jpg

That is a funny contrast!

Surprisingly different here, with a high of 32 and on and off snow showers all day

Just now, alex said:

That is a funny contrast!

Surprisingly different here, with a high of 32 and on and off snow showers all day

Yeah we hit 42F with some afternoon sunshine.  Still could get flurries at those warmer temps because of wet-bulbing from decaying showers, but it melted fast at 750ft.

1,500ft is another world this time of year (like in the fall)... this system had the QPF of 1-1.5" around here as models suspected, but it spent a lot more time as accumulating snow up in that mid-slope elevation band.  Base of the ski resort looked pretty buried.

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it’s about 250-275 higher than his place. The house is around 1500. Not a huge elevation difference but in a marginal setup it can matter. 

Also, it’s April and compaction is going to be big once the sun comes out. Looked sunny in that pic. 

For sure.  It's an incredibly snowy zone.  I would think they get nailed with NW flow.  The NE flow topography that Dendrite pointed out was eye-opening too.

As for the local plot, that is an amazing open, free air area that is mid-slope.. what a view.  Southern facing zones and open areas at that elevation can be breezy/sun affected, but it snows a helluva lot.  Around here that sort of area stays better mixed too.  A good wind spot, which also leads to scouring or wind-packing.  Bizzard like conditions whenever squalls and FROPAs, or any low level jet rolls through.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

For sure.  It's an incredibly snowy zone.  I would think they get nailed with NW flow.  The NE flow topography that Dendrite pointed out was eye-opening too.

As for the local plot, that is an amazing open, free air area that is mid-slope.. what a view.  Southern facing zones and open areas at that elevation can be breezy/sun affected, but it snows a helluva lot.  Around here that sort of area stays better mixed too.  A good wind spot, which also leads to scouring or wind-packing.  Bizzard like conditions whenever squalls and FROPAs, or any low level jet rolls through.

As far as compaction in April goes, I remember vividly the 2nd storm of back to back in April 1996 in ORH...we got clobbered with about 16”. I remember the snow was heavy until mid to late morning. I measured a depth of around 14-15” at 1030am...not even 4 hours later it was about 37-38F and overcast after the snow had fully stopped for a couple hours. I measured about 7” of compact cement. I couldn’t believe how quick it had settled. 

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Monday looks nuts with winds 

I'm intrigued with 925 mb tickling 80 knots from PVD up through BOS. Even with some weak lapse rates and deep surface to 925 mb layers that should be good enough for 45+ knot gusts.

SSW LLJs do tend to have more red flags than a SE or NE jet, but this is not a marginal wind max.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was dripping like crazy under that deck when the guys sent me a video this morning. Sounded like it was raining. Strong sun and facing south. The front of the house is still socked in deeply. Looked like a foot of snow to me in spots early this morning on the sunny side, though. I wasn't there to measure unfortunately. I have a video of the north side of the house coming down the driveway through the wooded area and it looks like a foot easy to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Real interesting stuff in the sky tonight. Moving stars heading N to S, not planes. About 10. Then several more all moving in different directions. Satellites?  Space junk?  I’ve never seen anything like it before. Friends up in NH saw it as I was. What were these things?  Moving real slowly. 

Purple Haze