Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There was all this talk of cold month , multiple snows etc a few weeks ago and swirling wheels of rrhea. A few of us said it looks like cool mornings and nice sunny afternoons which is mainly how it’s been . It’s mid month with no snow in SNE and AN. The last 7-10 days look mild to warm. 

:lol:

download (11).png

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There was all this talk of cold month , multiple snows etc a few weeks ago and swirling wheels of rrhea. A few of us said it looks like cool mornings and nice sunny afternoons which is mainly how it’s been . It’s mid month with no snow in SNE and AN. The last 7-10 days look mild to warm. 

Bring the downriggers up a few feet and throw some Chum. Not a lot biting this morning.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You are going to honestly say this month so far has been nasty and cold? How many decent/ nice days have we had? How many days of raw Backdoor wx have you had ?

As far as Aprils go, this one has been pretty nice down here. No mud, everything greening up. Flowers, mowers, just waiting on the sun dresses at this point.

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

As far as Aprils go, this one has been pretty nice down here. No mud, everything greening up. Flowers, mowers, just waiting on the sun dresses at this point.

Yup. It’s been (thus far) one of the nicest in many years . Quick rain events and no onshore flow which is exactly what we discussed end of Morch when they were calling for cold gloom and doom. Has it been perfect ? No. But it’s been 7 on scale of 10 and for the worst moth of the year wxwise in SNE, who can spin that into a cold wheel of rrhea?

43 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We’ve got a cool stretch coming up. Enjoy. 

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

For ORH (only goes through the 13th mind you)

Of the 13 days, 7 have had measurable precip

4 clear days

9 cloudy or partly cloudy days.

1.67” above normal precipitation 

+1.6F    Warm and wet

Yeah, it's been a mediocre April at best. I hate "wasting" a +9 departure on a washout. Most of the departure coming from the lows. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Snow on the ground here this morning.  Maybe a tenth of an inch?  The ground is white with clumps of large flakes.  

Ha, I almost missed it.  Didn’t even bother to look outside, the sun’s burning it off fast already.  

A74F9CE1-8950-4324-8CDE-CAAB71CC372E.jpeg.758fc89fbef54c04b5c09495e994dda9.jpeg

MVL was under 1 mile visibility, so had to be a nice burst.  

METAR KMVL 150920Z AUTO 00000KT 3/4SM -SN

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. It’s been (thus far) one of the nicest in many years . Quick rain events and no onshore flow which is exactly what we discussed end of Morch when they were calling for cold gloom and doom. Has it been perfect ? No. But it’s been 7 on scale of 10 and for the worst moth of the year wxwise in SNE, who can spin that into a cold wheel of rrhea?

Here it's been mild mornings and mild cloudy or partly cloudy afternoons.  Temp is running +1.1 thru yesterday, but -1 for maxima (and +3 for minima.)  Mildest has been 54, same as last month's highest and 60s seem out of the question for the next 10 days at least.  At least the precipitation has come in discrete events rather than days and days of mank and muck - 3 storms for 4.66", over 250% of average MTD. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Almost tries to curl up a little CCB at the end there. Nice looking system for this time of year.

Yeah it’s the classic “precip hanging back longer than models show” type look. It’s trying to focus the heaviest stuff on the WAA fronto, but there’s pretty solid dynamic support behind that with the vigorous vortmax. It has the look of some narrow stripe getting hit pretty good that gets both the WAA fronto and then the attempted CCB hanging back....time of the year will be a limiting factor of course. But a warning stripe wouldn’t surprise me. 

I don't see 28F unless it cools more. You typically want at least like -3C or -4C or so at 925mb this time of the year. If it wrapped up into a more of a CCB, then it's possible it could transition to that in the 2nd half of the event, but I'm doubtful. I'd expect paste....assuming this happens.

It could still crap out on us.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I don't see 28F unless it cools more. You typically want at least like -3C or -4C or so at 925mb this time of the year. If it wrapped up into a more of a CCB, then it's possible it could transition to that in the 2nd half of the event, but I'm doubtful. I'd expect paste....assuming this happens.

It could still crap out on us.

Any shot at snow here? Euro says yes... but everything else is meh