Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

54 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Highest BTU wood east of the Rockies. I don't have any problem splitting it with a hydraulic splitter might be a different story with a maul

Oh--I wasn't talking about splitting (I had a 35-ton for the fun wood days).  I meant splinters handling the wood once it had been split. 

Looks like we need to slog through maybe the next 7 but probably more like 10 days before we can finally put an end to this consummate 'fake' snow chance pattern that only really succeeds in shitting on any warm loving spring exuberance ...  Probably has a weird way of happening on top of the wave out of the over sold zombie apocalypse - which is the only reason why this April is any different than any since the Earth made the mistake of creating New England's geography and climate -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

A great site for firewood geeks. 

https://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/resources/firewood-btu-drying-chart.15/ 

For heat output and seasoning times nothing compares to ash or birch imo. Easy maul splitting as well. 

As they say - Wet or dry, ash is good to warm your feet by. 

Black and yellow birch are nice, white birch I don't like so much. I'll even burn @tamarack, pine is fine!

the amazing thing about black locust is how fast it grows considering it's density. 

anyway - one more wood burning snow storm to work through before the season is OVAAAAA for us. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nice day even though it’s upper 40s...as long as we have sun. 

Monday was torchy, but a complete crap day with the rain. I’ll take this in mid April over the aforementioned any day.

It's comfortable in the sun and out of the wind but my high was only 44.3F.   Bit too cool for me.

Grass really greened up the past few days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Black and yellow birch are nice, white birch I don't like so much. I'll even burn @tamarack, pine is fine!

the amazing thing about black locust is how fast it grows considering it's density. 

anyway - one more wood burning snow storm to work through before the season is OVAAAAA for us. 

A firewood poem includes this: "Ash wood green or ash wood dry, a king shall warm his slippers by."
However I must demur on birch.  Yellow birch is fine firewood but all the birches must be split to dry well as their bark is waterproof to an extent greater than any other species group.
At the worst end of that spectrum is probably balsam poplar, also called balm of Gilead.  As one fellow from Allagash once said in a discussion of burning unseasoned wood, "You couldn't afford the oil it would take to burn balm of Gilead!"

I'm not familiar with the growth habits of black locust in its natural range, but in Maine it doesn't seem all that windfirm, which is a bit odd for such strong wood though sometimes the strength of root wood differs from that above ground.  Working against its resistance to windthrow is its intolerance of shade.  Like the far weaker and equally intolerant aspen, the live foliage tends to be concentrated near the top, so the sail area is all at the top of the mast, giving the wind more leverage.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

A firewood poem includes this: "Ash wood green or ash wood dry, a king shall warm his slippers by."
However I must demur on birch.  Yellow birch is fine firewood but all the birches must be split to dry well as their bark is waterproof to an extent greater than any other species group.
At the worst end of that spectrum is probably balsam poplar, also called balm of Gilead.  As one fellow from Allagash once said in a discussion of burning unseasoned wood, "You couldn't afford the oil it would take to burn balm of Gilead!"

I'm not familiar with the growth habits of black locust in its natural range, but in Maine it doesn't seem all that windfirm, which is a bit odd for such strong wood though sometimes the strength of root wood differs from that above ground.  Working against its resistance to windthrow is its intolerance of shade.  Like the far weaker and equally intolerant aspen, the live foliage tends to be concentrated near the top, so the sail area is all at the top of the mast, giving the wind more leverage.

Totally agree on the black Birch. When it's green it weighs a ton! Lot of wasted work to cut, haul, and split for a low quality wood. Yes Locust has a shallow root system. That's the only way they ever come down.

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

I'm not familiar with the growth habits of black locust in its natural range, but in Maine it doesn't seem all that windfirm, which is a bit odd for such strong wood though sometimes the strength of root wood differs from that above ground. 

Here's an illustration of how strong.  Watch the first few second . The tree explodes, never seen it with another species.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=556wi8ujaGc

6 hours ago, Whineminster said:

They grow fast initially then slow way down. That's how the grain gets so tight. First picture is from today the second is from 1890 or so .  Same trees :)  (three trees on the left in the old picture)

today.jpg

1800.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Maybe a coating here.   Maybe a bit more

I mean, it's nothing really... but there's something about waking up to a white covering this time of year that is still energizing.  It burns off quickly as the sun rises but I mean, someone wakes up to an inch sitting on every little twig and branch, it's a nice temporary diversion to current life.

If it's going to be raw and chilly, it might as well have a crystallized presence.

• Like 2