Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It actually verbatim looks pretty elevation dependent.  Like 32-33F for you and 35F for BDL/IJD.  

Assuming it happens as the Euro is peddling.

If lift is good, it'll be 33F down to valleys too...and prob like 31-32F at elevation.

It's pretty classic for this time of the year...the models will overestimate the sfc temp in heavier snow and underestimate it when its really light.

Folks can think about it like this:

1. If it's "worth" tracking....i.e. a heavier event, then it's probably going to snow and accumulate down to the lower elevations

2. If it stays weak and light, it's probably white rain for most with light accumulations at elevation

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If lift is good, it'll be 33F down to valleys too...and prob like 31-32F at elevation.

It's pretty classic for this time of the year...the models will overestimate the sfc temp in heavier snow and underestimate it when its really light.

Folks can think about it like this:

1. If it's "worth" tracking....i.e. a heavier event, then it's probably going to snow and accumulate down to the lower elevations

2. If it stays weak and light, it's probably white rain for most with light accumulations at elevation

There is a decent airmass with this. Light S winds ahead of it, but decent cold going for this just off the deck. 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Clay?

I'm halfway up my hill, but on the one flat portion of it. So all of the water seems to drain down 200-300ft to my area and just pools here before it drops off another 200ft toward the river just beyond my house. When I did my chicken run in 2017 we had a stretch of no rain for like 10 days and when I used the post hole digger the holes immediately filled with water right to near the top. It sucks. Maybe there's some clay too, but it doesn't seem that excessive compared to other places I've been.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm halfway up my hill, but on the one flat portion of it. So all of the water seems to drain down 200-300ft to my area and just pools here before it drops off another 200ft toward the river just beyond my house. When I did my chicken run in 2017 we had a stretch of no rain for like 10 days and when I used the post hole digger the holes immediately filled with water right to near the top. It sucks. Maybe there's some clay too, but it doesn't seem that excessive compared to other places I've been.

I dug out my fence posts yesterday that rotted, so I can replace them. I was shocked to see how much water was there. This yard dries out quick, too. My guess is either the ledge or clay is causing water to sit on top of it and just slowly drain. 

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Euro to be believed here with accumulating snow? Most models are meh 

I think Will summed it up. It’s going to depend on intensity for low elevations. I think we’ll see some snow, but unsure of any accumulation.  It could also go to crap and move north. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think Will summed it up. It’s going to depend on intensity for low elevations. I think we’ll see some snow, but unsure of any accumulation.  It could also go to crap and move north. 

Even if heavy, I’m sure it will stick as close as West Gloucester and turn to 35F rain here. We need nape season to start!

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I dug out my fence posts yesterday that rotted, so I can replace them. I was shocked to see how much water was there. This yard dries out quick, too. My guess is either the ledge or clay is causing water to sit on top of it and just slowly drain. 

Two words. Black locust.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't see 28F unless it cools more. You typically want at least like -3C or -4C or so at 925mb this time of the year. If it wrapped up into a more of a CCB, then it's possible it could transition to that in the 2nd half of the event, but I'm doubtful. I'd expect paste....assuming this happens.

It could still crap out on us.

I'd be shocked.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Highest BTU wood east of the Rockies. I don't have any problem splitting it with a hydraulic splitter might be a different story with a maul

Hickory and hophornbeam must be close and maybe Osage orange, though different sources show different relative BTU levels.  Black locust offers rot resistance equal to cedar plus lots more strength.  Not native to the Northeast but planted (and naturalized) in many places.

Just now, tamarack said:

Hickory and hophornbeam must be close and maybe Osage orange, though different sources show different relative BTU levels.  Black locust offers rot resistance equal to cedar plus lots more strength.  Not native to the Northeast but planted (and naturalized) in many places.

We had a hophornbeam come down last fall at work and I took some home to burn. I was surprised at how hot it burned in the pit.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

As the strongest timber in North America, black locust helped build Jamestown and hardened the navy that decided the War of 1812, yet today few Americans have heard of it. The nation's taste in ornamental trees has changed fairly dramatically since the first street plantings were made in Williamsburg, Virginia, in the 1730s. 

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

A great site for firewood geeks. 

https://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/resources/firewood-btu-drying-chart.15/ 

For heat output and seasoning times nothing compares to ash or birch imo. Easy maul splitting as well.