Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well I think that’s the point we’re making. CC may be giving us snowier winters. My regression comment triggered John a bit, but I think we can still have snowier winters than previous decades and still have room for regression back down.

Agreed. The year to year or even decade to decade natural variation in snowfall will drown out the CC signal on those shorter timescales. Snowfall already has a massive standard deviation from year to year. 

We’re definitely in line for some regression at some point  

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Meh. I’m like 10”+ above my normal snowfall over the last 15 years. CC isn’t accounting for that much already. 

Some models predict increased snowfall in colder climates for the next few decades, as the modeled increase in precip more than balances snowfall lost to p-type issues.

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Agreed. The year to year or even decade to decade natural variation in snowfall will drown out the CC signal on those shorter timescales. Snowfall already has a massive standard deviation from year to year. 

That period from 1955ish to 1971 or so was so solid.   No ratters at all in there

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens the next 10 years if we regress a little bit with the 80s removed from the normals.

4 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

What's the plan for Friday and Saturday, huddle indoors and troll folks that like the cold?

Cold makes you feel satisfied or happy, and that does not make me unhappy. The weird thing is it's obvious my happiness makes you (and others) miserable.

I'm happy and everything looks fine.  The LR models all show hope and promise. Live angry if you want. Troll away

ecmwf-ens_T850a_namer_11 (2).png

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

Regression has a formal statistical method, and the point was, ...when the mean of the scatter plots don't resemble a straight line, the linearity of it is less dependable. That's the only point I was concerned with there..  

As far as CC and snow it's thermodynamically unavoidable that warming leads to greater latent heat/WV content available to precipitating physics.  Can't be argued. 

What becomes prognostic ...  as we start getting greater snows during increasing decimals and whole degree average T's, is when do. ( most likely ...) we trip over a phase transition sort of threshold and those systems just end up rainers more and more and more. At which time, the snow averages start declining.  We may not be that far along, just sayin'. 

I was thinking about this yesterday and last evening out of boredom I did some quick comparisons, this winter vs climate zones and it appears we are having a winter more like typology somewhere in mid Jersey for temperatures. That's too close to noise to be blamed on CC, but the problem is that statement " to be blamed on" is stupid - because what it evades is that CC is there at all times.  It's really a matter of whether a pattern is sufficiently anomalous to more or less mask it.  

Gorgeous!

Sunday through Tuesday...

Warmer SW flow returns late Saturday and Sunday ahead of our next
shortwave, bringing much milder air back into the region. This will
be reinforced even more on Monday/Tuesday ahead of a stronger
approaching low pressure system for Tuesday. Highs will be back in
the upper 30s and 40s each day, with potential to approach 50
degrees Monday or Tuesday depending on the speed of the incoming
low. Mainly dry weather persists Sunday and Monday, though a weak
cold front may allow for light scattered showers Sunday/Sunday
night. Tuesday low pressure passes well to our northwest
bringing rain showers back to the region.
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Regression has a formal statistical method, and the point was, ...when the mean of the scatter plots don't resemble a straight line, the linearity of it is less dependable. That's the only point I was concerned with there..  

As far as CC and snow it's thermodynamically unavoidable that warming leads to greater latent heat/WV content available to precipitating physics.  Can't be argued. 

What becomes prognostic ...  as we start getting greater snows during increasing decimals and whole degree average T's, is when do. ( most likely ...) we trip over a phase transition sort of threshold and those systems just end up rainers more and more and more. At which time, the snow averages start declining.  We may not be that far along, just sayin'. 

I was thinking about this yesterday and last evening out of boredom I did some quick comparisons, this winter vs climate zones and it appears we are having a winter more like typology somewhere in mid Jersey for temperatures. That's too close to noise to be blamed on CC, but the problem is that statement " to be blamed on" is stupid - because what it evades is that CC is there at all times.  It's really a matter of whether a pattern is sufficiently anomalous to more or less mask it.  

Do those Koeppen climate maps ever get updated? Or are those set and haven't been revisited?

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/forum/18-climate-change/