• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2020

George BM

I over the past year after dealing with daily migraines and anxiety/depression have decided to live day by day. I have taken a new look at weather and have stopped looking at anything past 3 days. Some may say I am sticking my head in the sand with all the information we have out there 10-12 days out, but it along with finally having my migraines under control and understanding that there are things I do not have control over has made this year so much better. I have learned to be happy with surprises. So the lack of snow this year has not bothered me at all. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mappy said:

fair point. i just have to laugh that every time i go into the thread, its a different date being discussed and ogled over. 

The background base state has SUCKED since mid December... so all of these "threats" have been like buying a powerball ticket then getting excited for the drawing...  I will say this...the pattern coming up in February is actually better.  It's not the best pattern ever but its legitimately less hostile to snow.  We have to see if that continues to progress closer and doesn't "degrade" but if that look ends up real then we could get some shots  that aren't full court buzzer beater odds.  

1 hour ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Its depressing how we don't do snow around here anymore.

This isnt a new problem... from Dec 1996 to March 2002 DC only had 2 snowy weeks in  6 years... lat January 2000 and March 1999.  Other than that the entire 6 year period was a snow wasteland.  There are even worse periods of futility than that.  

48 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This isnt a new problem... from Dec 1996 to March 2002 DC only had 2 snowy weeks in  6 years... lat January 2000 and March 1999.  Other than that the entire 6 year period was a snow wasteland.  There are even worse periods of futility than that.  

A good chunk of the 70's come quickly to mind. Try being a kid who loves snow having to endure that. Flat out sucked most of the time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

A good chunk of the 70's come quickly to mind. Try being a kid who loves snow having to endure that. Flat out sucked most of the time.

At the very least this era was without long range models and 15 day ensembles so you didn't know how bad it would be or how bleak chances we're. A kinda weather innocence and naivety. There were so many bad bust because of the lack of available data. How many times did we expect a decent storm and got zilch.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, those were some lean years, and sucked for a teenager.

I've been in MD since 72. I remember A LOT of dry cold. Feb 79 is when I became afflicted. First blizzards will do that to a young kid's mind.

Our area always has and always will have really sh!tty multi year periods of low snow and high warmth. Periods of the 80s sucked, same eith the 90s and 2000s and 2010s... It's just how we roll. 

Increased frequency of big storms actually makes the last 20 years pretty damn good. Plentiful 10"+ storms compared to any previous period since I've been alive. Frustration is engraved in the MA DNA but big storms are more frequent. Cold/dry 70s weather sucked in comparison to warmer/bigger storm times we're in now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I've been in MD since 72. I remember A LOT of dry cold. Feb 79 is when I became afflicted. First blizzards will do that to a young kid's mind.

Our area always has and always will have really sh!tty multi year periods of low snow and high warmth. Periods of the 80s sucked, same eith the 90s and 2000s and 2010s... It's just how we roll. 

Increased frequency of big storms actually makes the last 20 years pretty damn good. Plentiful 10"+ storms compared to any previous period since I've been alive. Frustration is engraved in the MA DNA but big storms are more frequent. Cold/dry 70s weather sucked in comparison to warmer/bigger storm times we're in now. 

All truth. Regarding the cold, dry 70’s, those were my impressionable years (for lack of a better word), and cold, dry was my normal. I loved winter before the ‘79 blizzard, but it’s my favorite storm. Afterwards, the newspaper headlines said that for the DC area it was a once in a lifetime storm, and I remember in the months afterwards thinking it kind of stunk that I was 16 and had seen the best winter storm of my life. Fortunately, newspapers back then were inaccurate too. We’ve had a decent run of big snow since then.

Just now, Ji said:
7 minutes ago, mappy said:
you should do better at looking at the correct runs

I tried deleting the post a second after I hit submit but yugo kept replying to it

Once Yugi-Oh (or another poster) clicks reply to a post made above, it stays in the post even if you delete it seconds later

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I was talking to some fellow weather geeks after the monster Feb 83 storm in these parts.  Some were lamenting that we may not see a storm of that size again for the rest of our lives.  But 96, 2003, 2010 x 3, and 2016  kicked that sentiment to the curb.   

Oops, I even forgot one somehow.  Feb 2014 at least out in this area (25.5") was greater in total snow than the Feb 83 storm.  

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Still a snowier period than we are in now. There was a huge snowstorm in January 2000. DC pickup 8 inches in March one year.

Even 2000-2001 is not horrible with DC picking up 2-3 inches each month from Dec-Feb. Heck even January of 2002 delivered a minor storm. At least there was SOMETHING. The only real garbage was 1997-1998, which we are basically on par with now.

This is historically snowless.

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

It was? 70's looks hit or miss to me. Off on and on with the above average winters actually.

A lot of years in there with 16+ inches which would be a miracle from the heavens at this point. We can't even do an inch of snow anymore.

1 minute ago, Sparky said:

Oops, I even forgot one somehow.  Feb 2014 at least out in this area (25.5") was greater in total snow than the Feb 83 storm.  

That storm had a super deathband with crazy rates early in the morning of the 13th. Probably comparable to the Feb 1983 storm... nah that storm had 5"/hr rates according to some and the Feb 1979 storm had 4"-6"/hr rates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevWarReenactor said:

It was? 70's looks hit or miss to me. Off on and on with the above average winters actually.

A lot of years in there with 16+ inches which would be a miracle from the heavens at this point. We can't even do an inch of snow anymore.

I'm not sure what area you live in, but 1970-1977 primarily sucked and were below average snowfall every year at BWI!

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm not sure what area you live in, but 1970-1977 primarily sucked and were below average snowfall every year at BWI!

Out of the 7 season from 1970-1977

DC experience above "median" snowfall, 5 of those seasons. It wasn't a blockbuster time, but it was better than what we are currently in.

8 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Don't know if you were around for it but '77 didn't suck for winter ambiance.  Snow cover for most of January into early Feb because of the frigid temps which froze Chessie Bay to unprecedented level.  There was also a decent Jan. storm around the 11th that dropped 5-6 inches in Baltimore.

2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Don't know if you were around for it but '77 didn't suck for winter ambiance.  Snow cover for most of January into early Feb because of the frigid temps which froze Chessie Bay to unprecedented level.  There was also a decent Jan. storm around the 11th that dropped 5-6 inches in Baltimore.

Nope make that the 7th.

39 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Ah yes...I can see that on the record here that we got 8.5 in Jan...at least we got the ambiance! (and no, I wasn't around back then, lol)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic