Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2020

George BM

4 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Still a snowier period than we are in now. There was a huge snowstorm in January 2000. DC pickup 8 inches in March one year.

Even 2000-2001 is not horrible with DC picking up 2-3 inches each month from Dec-Feb. Heck even January of 2002 delivered a minor storm. At least there was SOMETHING. The only real garbage was 1997-1998, which we are basically on par with now.

This is historically snowless.

You are exaggerating.  In that 6 year period there was 44.4”. In this 6 year period even if we don’t get another flake this winter there has been 69.2”!  The only way you have a case is using a weird specific number of years you cherry picked but most importantly you include this year and assume  we don’t get 2.4” more this season. Odds are we do and then what?  And if we don’t then yes this was the worst 4 years stretch. But not the worst 1 or 2 or 3 or 5 year stretch. What does it mean anyways?  This has just been similar to every other snow drought we have at least once every decade except the 1960s. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Just got back from the car show in DC. What an amazing event (if you like cars). It was a blast and MUCH more fun than looking at depressing models. Back to being depressed in a couple house I suppose

I was gonna go yesterday but hit the museums in DC instead. What did I miss?

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

I was gonna go yesterday but hit the museums in DC instead. What did I miss?

Depends on what you're into... Every car from every manufacturer was on the floor(s). Exotics were amazing but not really my thing. Had every classic mustang on display so that was great to walk through. Indoor stunt track rides for my teen son and friends. I looked at 2500 size pickups. My next truck is either a Ram 2500 Cummins diesel or GMC 2500 with the Duramax diesel. Was very very impressed with the GMC. All the big trucks nowadays have luxury interiors and tech. Just need to come up with 70 large... might be a few years... lol

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Depends on what you're into... Every car from every manufacturer was on the floor(s). Exotics were amazing but not really my thing. Had every classic mustang on display so that was great to walk through. Indoor stunt track rides for my teen son and friends. I looked at 2500 size pickups. My next truck is either a Ram 2500 Cummins diesel or GMC 2500 with the Duramax diesel. Was very very impressed with the GMC. All the big trucks nowadays have luxury interiors and tech. Just need to come up with 70 large... might be a few years... lol

Yeah they're pimpin out everything now. Sounds cool...maybe I'll hit it during the nor'easter Saturday 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ve been talking about the Philly dead zone for years. Remember when we had the big debate as to whether we’d let their refugees in? I think it was a natural decay...

We’ve lost some old regulars in here too the last few years.  Hardly ever see zwytz or Ian anymore. But we picked up some new ones and we had more to spare maybe. Hopefully it’s not a larger trend. 

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

My guess is that it’s been a crappy few years. If the 2016 HECS were walking through the door, I think most of the crew would be back. It gets harder to track trash long term. We’ve had some rough years. 

Yea...last year wasn’t bad though. DC got a 10” storm. That’s pretty rare. 

27 minutes ago, H2O said:

This is what happens when y'all prefer a mostly unmoderated LR thread

I'd love to know who exactly left specifically because of that. To be clear I'm in favor of keeping it moderated for the most part but who got so hurt they decided to leave?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

You are exaggerating.  In that 6 year period there was 44.4”. In this 6 year period even if we don’t get another flake this winter there has been 69.2”!  The only way you have a case is using a weird specific number of years you cherry picked but most importantly you include this year and assume  we don’t get 2.4” more this season. Odds are we do and then what?  And if we don’t then yes this was the worst 4 years stretch. But not the worst 1 or 2 or 3 or 5 year stretch. What does it mean anyways?  This has just been similar to every other snow drought we have at least once every decade except the 1960s. 

Its not an exaggeration. We are having the worst 4 year stretch in the history of record keeping. Can't change that.

Sure if you dig back to 5 or 6 years, you can use those great seasons to make a case that it isn't so bad. But it isn't really relevant. Why? Because we are talking about time in between. We are talking about a stretch of duration without. Would it matter that you drank a gallon of water a week ago, if you haven't had water since?

Answer: Not a damn bit...

You can't point to banner seasons 10 years ago to make a case that we've been 4 years with little snowfall which is a record smashing long period.

11 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

The never-ending theme of "its out of control and Toxic  in the model thread! Whever can we do?". Which then leads to condescending power tripping threats.

Fun times.

who said its out of control and toxic? 

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Who left?

If I had to guess off the top of my head in our region 

Mitchnick

Ian

Ender

Zwyts still posts occasionally 

Ian seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth

Stormtracker pops in from time to time to pick up his CEO bonus check.

Usetobe would probably still post if we actually had winters around here anymore. 

Did I miss anyone?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic