• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    queenofscience
    Newest Member
    queenofscience

Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

8 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

13/-7 in Natick. Visiting the area for AMS and family so this will be my first New England winter storm. 

it wont' be a memorable one, but enjoy anyway!

• Haha 1

I’m in Concord, NH overnight where it is 5 degrees. Heading further north tomorrow.

It will be a far cry from last weekend when it was over 60 degrees and I took my sister to Newport.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Got down to 10F this morning.  I wonder if I go the entire winter without getting to or below zero?

Hasn't happened yet here either. 0.7F at 1am. As we started going calm the clouds raced in.

7 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Maine—where winter meets the Atlantic.

Only 10* on the beach at 11:00.  Not too shabby.

B85EBECF-9025-4C10-A3E9-603E418FFC3F.jpeg

Polar dip??

I couldn't imagine getting this much snow in my wildest dreams. Never seen a car completely submerged in snow to the point its completely unrecognizable and flat on top.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I couldn't imagine getting this much snow in my wildest dreams. Never seen a car completely submerged in snow to the point its completely unrecognizable and flat on top.

January 26-27 2005 there were whole streets like that in Cambridge.   30"+  just west of Boston. 

10 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

January 26-27 2005 there were whole streets like that in Cambridge.   30"+  just west of Boston. 

This looks like an even 5-6 feet over the car through the streets. I saw drifts were like 20ft and over houses. 

• Like 1

Strong Ocean Effect Snow bands developing over the Bay and east of the Cape Cod National Seashore.  Convection is developing as instability at the surface increases through Delta Ts over 18C.  Differential in temperatures between the 850mb level and the surface of the ocean.  With a -15C 850mb temp and a sea surface temp around 8C, that combination should produce extreme instability with Delta Ts over 22C.  Cold Cloud tops cooling suggests there is no real inversion layer and there is strong humidity levels between the surface and 700mb.  Winds align through the column later this morning into the early afternoon.  Not sure if accumulations can occur given the dry air at the surface.

57 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Violent OES.

lol, the instability is there, wind direction is there, fetch is there, we need freaking moisture, the dry air is killing it.

35 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i am dr. dews. the moderators can verify by checking IP's 

On 3/30/2019 at 10:41 AM,  Albert A Clipper said: 

Shhh..dr dews acts like he knows more than he leads on....hasn’t been right yet since he started posting. He sets his alarm in 3 hour increments and lives aNd breathes off each model run, stick a forky fork in him, he’s done...

-4F so far locally at MVL... -9F at HIE lol.  Bottom dropping out at 10pm.

Deep fresh snow cover from multiple snows over the past week.

Solid gradient around BTV... lake breeze?  Mid/upper teens at times along the lake, including downtown BTV.  Just inland at the airport and into the western slope hollows, it's cold.

January_20_ChittendenCountyB.thumb.jpg.d68cc9e863271b1d665b6d00a83c169d.jpg