Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Observations of snow, sleet, freezing rain Sun-Tue Dec 1-2-early 3

wdrag

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Models were underdone on the snow up here, solid coating and right around freezing. Sleet pounding on the windows right now

The Nam forecast soundings I looked at last night and this morning were all over this.  Showed a warm nose this morning with the mid levels cooling to an isothermal sounding for a couple of hours resulting a a turn to snow right around when it did and mixing back before 3pm (right on schedule there's more sleet than snow here now).

I was actually having my doubts about a flip to snow after 12 noon, but the model had it right.

Back down to 32 here with a sleet/snow mix.  Everything is covered, including the street.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Thanks Walt.  I figured intuitively that when the ground gets wet it matches the wet bulb temp so that should be the highest temp freezing rain can fall, wet bulb=32!

Also, when it's falling really hard, rain may not freeze even when the temp is below 32! (by a couple degrees).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

The Nam forecast soundings I looked at last night and this morning were all over this.  Showed a warm nose this morning with the mid levels cooling to an isothermal sounding for a couple of hours resulting a a turn to snow right around when it did and mixing back before 3pm (right on schedule there's more sleet than snow here now).

I was actually having my doubts about a flip to snow after 12 noon, but the model had it right.

Back down to 32 here with a sleet/snow mix.  Everything is covered, including the street.

we thought the NAM might have this ;-) hope it's right about tomorrow too!

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Nice surprise for us. Still sleet and snow here and 33.0. 

• Like 1