Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

11 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Do coops still report traces for snow on ground?  I just noticed that the Staffordville guy along with a bunch of other sites that probably have snow on the ground reported 0 for snow.  There's clearly snow and ice on the ground (I had 1" this morning) but I find it odd that it's not even reported as a trace.  Just wondering if someone knows if they no longer report that or not.

Yes, Ts are still reported. 

But it is fairly subjective and local to their siting area.

8 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Some get really impatient when there isn't a winter threat every few days.  Can you imagine the annual snow totals we'd have if we had snow every few days from Dec 1st to Apr 1st.

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

Just ask JSpin, PF and Alex

LOL, I was actually going to respond to the comment because that climate literally exists, and we have the data for it.  The annual snow totals would be quite variable depending on elevation and mountain aspect, but you’d probably be looking at ~100” at a minimum.

That is unless you’re thinking warning-level snows every few days.  Annual snowfall would need to be well into the hundreds of inches to pull that off, and most of the places I can think of with big snow totals like that don’t typically have their storms quite that frequently.  My best guess at a place that might be able to do it consistently would be the mountains of Hokkaido, but the more coastal ranges of British Columbia might be able to do it in some years with the right pattern.

My numbers from the past 13 seasons indicate that we average 40 accumulating storms during that Dec 1st to Apr 1st period, which breaks down to a storm bringing some sort of accumulation almost exactly every 3 days on average.  Mean snowfall during that stretch is 135.5”, so that equates to an average of 3.4” of snow per storm.  Actually, Mt. Mansfield at elevation could be close to averaging a warning-level snow about every 3 days during that period, because the snowfall there is typically just about double what I record.  Of course it doesn’t actually work out with a nice distribution of a medium-sized storm every three days because you get periods where the storms are really popping up, lulls, small storms, large storms, etc.  Still, such a climate is really not that far-fetched.

We’ve actually been talking about this a bit in the NNE thread because No Poles was wondering about the possibility of a quiet week on the snowfall front.  A little bit of potential popped up on the models for tonight though, sort of in line with the snowfall frequency discussion.

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:
Episode Narrative A low pressure system intensified as it moved across the offshore waters during the early morning hours. This storm system brought the heaviest snowfall to southeast coastal Massachusetts, where the snow lasted nearly 10 hours. The northern fringe of the snow reached the northern and northwest suburbs of Boston. The greatest snowfall reported was over 9 inches over the south part of the town of Plymouth. Other totals of 6 inches or more included 8 inches in downtown Plymouth, Provincetown, and Truro; 7.5 inches in Cataumet; 7 inches in Eastham, Sandwich, and Whitehorse Beach in Plymouth; 6.5 inches in Pocasset and West Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard, and also in Somerset; 6.2 inches in Carver and Fairhaven; and 6.0 inches in Bridgewater, New Bedford, and West Wareham.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:
Episode Narrative A low pressure system intensified as it moved across the offshore waters during the early morning hours. This storm system brought the heaviest snowfall to southeast coastal Massachusetts, where the snow lasted nearly 10 hours. The northern fringe of the snow reached the northern and northwest suburbs of Boston. The greatest snowfall reported was over 9 inches over the south part of the town of Plymouth. Other totals of 6 inches or more included 8 inches in downtown Plymouth, Provincetown, and Truro; 7.5 inches in Cataumet; 7 inches in Eastham, Sandwich, and Whitehorse Beach in Plymouth; 6.5 inches in Pocasset and West Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard, and also in Somerset; 6.2 inches in Carver and Fairhaven; and 6.0 inches in Bridgewater, New Bedford, and West Wareham.

Yeah 6-7” for you. Only like 3.5 or so where I was in Marshfield. Just north of the good stuff. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I just saw it.

:lmao: 

Just toss it all into the incinerator and start over. 

Hopefully after we’ve lost all our snow pack and just suffered two model busted bomb whiffs with 0 results… after they carried 960 ACK lows for four days first and pulled the plug on dday

then  that happens

five days later, earliest spring in history breaks.