Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, Minenfeld! said:

I had co-workers complaining about how cold it was like a week after that. Meanwhile, the cherry trees started blooming the week before Christmas.

I saw a US map back in the 70s (I think) that showed the northern possible limit of palm trees around Cape May, NJ. Wonder where that limit is now, or where it will be in the near future.

53 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We were riding the lift this morning with a guy who was at Mt Snow and Loon the last couple of days.  He said they are in decent shape

Wachusett is in amazing shape.  
6-8” OTG in my yard.   Snow covered since Dec 1 

My friend in Vermont said Killington and Okemo are OK but could really use a refresher. My friend in North Conway said they definitely need snow up there.   The Alpine skiing is OK it’s the Nordic areas that are hurting pretty badly.

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My friend in Vermont said Killington and Okemo are OK but could really use a refresher. My friend in North Conway said they definitely need snow up there.   The Alpine skiing is OK it’s the Nordic areas that are hurting pretty badly.

North Conway has been really rough this season. They have pretty much missed all the snow we got. 

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The forecast was for AN snowfall and BN temps for the MONTH. That will be correct. 

What will be incorrect .. is your forecast on here of AN temps 

I think it's important to break down. You had wire to wire and Dec as our best month. Our temps in SNE may get close to near normal by 12/31. BOS AN but * as we know. The moderation is working out. 1st two weeks swayed the whole month. 

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Its weird.  For the most part, you would think its somewhat normal around here.  I've had almost continuous snow in my yard sin 11/11 or so, though it did get down to patches after the rain/warmth last week.  The issue for outdoor  activities is depth.  The 3"-4" we got after the melt doesn't cut it for cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling etc.  One positive for some activities though is how cold it got after the snow melted, the ground and wet spots have frozen up so the trails will benefit when the snow does build up a bit more

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Its weird.  For the most part, you would think its somewhat normal around here.  I've had almost continuous snow in my yard sin 11/11 or so, though it did get down to patches after the rain/warmth last week.  The issue for outdoor  activities is depth.  The 3"-4" we got after the melt doesn't cut it for cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling etc.  One positive for some activities though is how cold it got after the snow melted, the ground and wet spots have frozen up so the trails will benefit when the snow does build up a bit more

Craftsbury Cross County center actually preserved some snow over the summer to help set its base this year.

https://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/innovation-and-the-science-of-over-summer-snow-storage-at-the-craftsbury-outdoor-center/

Next, with the help of the Craftsbury grooming team, they created two test piles at the end of the 2018 season in order to determine an optimal system for insulating snow through the summer. They covered the piles with roughly 25 cm of wood chips which were instrumented with thermometers. They tested a variety of covers including foams of different densities, concrete curing blankets, space blankets, and reflective mylar over the top to deflect solar radiation.

After monitoring the piles through the summer, they identified the optimal setup. On top of the manicured snow pile, a concrete curing blanket was laid primarily to protect the snow from debris. The blanket also adds some insulation. Next, a layer of wet wood chips 20 to 30 cm deep was spread, providing the majority of the pile’s insulation. Finally, a white mylar space was stretched across to reflect thermal energy from the sunlight. This system proved highly effective. 

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Most winter outdoor activity enthusiasts would probably prefer BN snowfall and BN temperatures as opposed to AN snowfall  interspersed with a high DP  grinch storm. 

11 minutes ago, klw said:

Craftsbury Cross County center actually preserved some snow over the summer to help set its base this year.

https://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/innovation-and-the-science-of-over-summer-snow-storage-at-the-craftsbury-outdoor-center/

Wow, that is just absurd! Creative and interesting but just ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It’s practically April.  Waiting for the first Tip talking about his nape post

46F  may be my high.  Got off to a higher launching pad verses down below which took awhile to mix out.  Some bare spots showing on steep south slopes.  Newfound lake froze over last night.  Will be some dangerous conditions on the big lakes with marginal ice growth temps the next few days

All kidding aside, I’ve finally got the birds winterized and have a nice new snowblower so I’m fine with some deep winter. Of course it’s turned into Torchmas since then. Oh well...it is what it is. Maybe my bamboo can go the winter without getting topkilled? My luck would be warm, snowless winter with one brutal cold spell to wipe it all out. Something like Valentine’s 2016.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

All kidding aside, I’ve finally got the birds winterized and have a nice new snowblower so I’m fine with some deep winter. Of course it’s turned into Torchmas since then. Oh well...it is what it is. Maybe my bamboo can go the winter without getting topkilled? My luck would be warm, snowless winter with one brutal cold spell to wipe it all out. Something like Valentine’s 2016.

Thanks for killing our snow chances.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Feb 14th 2016 7 pm

IMG_20191223_132341.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What in the Sam hell do you live in, a swamp?

I got it in the fall and it started out around 85% RH down there. It’s been working its way down to 50% and got there until we got water in the basement from the last cutter. Most of the water is gone now, but we’re still evaporating away down there. I empty it about once per day. It’s one of my best purchases of the year. The musty smell down there is gone.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I got it in the fall and it started out around 85% RH down there. It’s been working its way down to 50% and got there until we got water in the basement from the last cutter. Most of the water is gone now, but we’re still evaporating away down there. I empty it about once per day. It’s one of my best purchases of the year. The musty smell down there is gone.

Nice. Yea we dehumidify in the basement but it doesn't need it after September