Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

19 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I'd say about 10 miles east of the river was where the real fun began but what's 10 miles among friends.  I'm 2 miles east of the river and it was a solid above average winter but nothing spectacular.  

It is crazy how many events it really does matter East vs west of river or SE/ NW 84 and the one everyone hates south /north of Pike

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Depends where you are...back east, 2015 took it to another level.

Yep. I was convinced it would be a long time before i surpassed the 39" snow depth from January 2011 (technically February 2011 after the 2/1-2/2 storm. Then 2015 happened and I got to 44-45". 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Has there ever been a K.U. type storm like on the Eve of Dec 31 ?

There's been others spattered around the country in their own right ... but, a real low latitude Miller B bomb that crawls along the coast -

No there hasn't. 12/31 is kind of a local nadir in daily snowfall records around here. Actually the whole several day period from 12/30-1/1 is weak. 

NYC/adjacent NJ had the 12/30/00 storm but it was nothing special around here (10" or so). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No there hasn't. 12/31 is kind of a local nadir in daily snowfall records around here. Actually the whole several day period from 12/30-1/1 is weak. 

NYC/adjacent NJ had the 12/30/00 storm but it was nothing special around here (10" or so). 

07-08 pounded here. I don't have my records on hand, but CON had like 16-17". I think it was 2 systems with a brief gap in between. 10.1" on 12/31 and 6.5" on 1/1.

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I thought in the late 1980s/early 1990s there was a decent NYE event.  Not a KU by any means but a foot or so?

I remember a New Years day event not a KU but a decent 6 to 8 type  in 1971. I have pics somewhere.  I only remember because of the pics of us making a mega snow fort were in the Westerly Sun. 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I remember a New Years day event not a KU but a decent 6 to 8 type  in 1971. I have pics somewhere.  I only remember because of the pics of us making a mega snow fort were in the Westerly Sun. 

10" up here at the Franklin COOP for 12/31/71. So that must've been 12/30-31? Ob time was 8am.

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember 12-14” near ALB on that New Years Eve storm in 2000.  Not huge but for New Years Eve pretty fun.  

For holiday snow I’ll never beat the 12/25/2002 in my lifetime...no matter where I live I think getting two feet on Xmas Day will be hard to top.  Grass blades showing that morning turned into 4 foot snowbanks at 10pm along the driveway.

I remembered a foot or so from storm 1. Storm 2 was a hair under 10". We didn't do much for New Year's that season.

...BELKNAP COUNTY...
ALTON BAY 11.5 229 PM 12/31 1.2" LIQUID
LACONIA 9.1 555 PM 12/31
TILTON 8.5 1136 AM 12/31
...CARROLL COUNTY...
WOLFEBORO 12.5 1230 PM 12/31
...MERRIMACK COUNTY...
CANTERBURY 14.0 111 PM 12/31
CONCORD 10.1 100 PM 12/31
HENNIKER 10.0 237 PM 12/31
NEW LONDON 7.0 311 PM 12/31 
...BELKNAP COUNTY...
ALTON BAY 8.7 108 PM 1/2
ALTON 7.0 740 AM 1/2
...CARROLL COUNTY...
NORTH CONWAY 11.0 845 AM 1/2
WOLFEBORO FALLS 8.0 800 AM 1/2
...MERRIMACK COUNTY...
HOOKSETT 7.5 809 AM 1/2
CONCORD 7.4 700 AM 1/2
HENNIKER 6.0 718 PM 1/1
HENNIKER 6.0 800 AM 1/2 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s mainly due to Lake effect. They get several of their own private snowstorms each winter from lake effect 

There is no way some rogue lake effect streamers can explain the Norfolk CT COOP snow totals.  Its kind of crazy looking at their totals.  They only have 1 season above 100" the past 20 years.   But from 1944-1998 they AVERAGED about 100" per year. That's a good sample size being 50+ years. I think most considered the Norfolk COOP date pretty pristine?

Serious question, as somewhat that didn't grow up in NE, how could they have averaged that much over that time period? I know they have some good elevation (1300ft?) But they don't seem to get much Upslope?(correct me if I'm wrong)  So mainly synoptic with some lake effect streamers, squalls sprinkled in. 100" average is a lot for a non lake effect/non uplsope spot.

The baroclinic zone shift for whatever reason to river east in recent decades?

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

There is no way some rogue lake effect streamers can explain the Norfolk CT COOP snow totals.  Its kind of crazy looking at their totals.  They only have 1 season above 100" the past 20 years.   But from 1944-1998 they AVERAGED about 100" per year. That's a good sample size being 50+ years. I think most considered the Norfolk COOP date pretty pristine?

Serious question, as somewhat that didn't grow up in NE, how could they have averaged that much over that time period? I know they have some good elevation (1300ft?) But they don't seem to get much Upslope?(correct me if I'm wrong)  So mainly synoptic with some lake effect streamers, squalls sprinkled in. 100" average is a lot for a non lake effect/non uplsope spot.

The baroclinic zone shift for whatever reason to river east in recent decades?

They definitely get upslope/lake effect even if weakening. There are decent hills there and trajectory on NW flow is good for them. @CT Rain could explain more.