Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

'Bout ready to start a January disco anyway.  This month looks like burnt toast at this point.  Maybe an Aaron Rodgers hail mary on the 30th, but that looks iffy and way out in la-la land.

I'm about ready to punt December up here, If everything remains the same for the rest of the month we will fall to -60%+ for the season on snowfall for Dec.

• Sad 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I still wouldn’t rule out something 26ish. This pattern won’t be easily modeled.

Agreed....a bit early to punt the rest of the month. Nothing is screaming out at the moment, but this is the type of pattern where stuff could pop inside of 5-6 days.

50 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I installed one at my Moms and the payback was like a few months from switching  from burning a gallon or 2 a day in heating oil. Most oil hot water boilers cycle all day and the stanbdy losses are massive.

If you havent got one yet I recommend you get the energy audit done as well. They install insulation, air sealed my ducts, installed weather striping, led bulbs, etc. There is a surcharge for energy efficiency on everyones electric bill that pays for all this stuff but nobody uses it. I am probably close to like 8k in free energy efficient upgrades I did through energize CT on my house. 

Those in Massachusetts have some of the nations best incentives/rebates available as well. 

Is the energy audit through Eversource?

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I remember the cutter...but it didn't hit until 12/26...might have started in the M.A. on the night of 12/25.

BWI numbers for 12/25,26/09 - they had 18" on 19-20:

12/25:  42   19   .73     0     6   (Probably measured at noon - many stations do - as they were down to 8" on the 24th.)
12/26:  52   40  1.02   0     0

Feb. 2010 may have been even worse.  BWI had 44.5" Feb. 5-10, recorded 34" on 2/11, and by 2/24 it was down to trace.  No big RA, total for 11-24 only 0.31" and temp peaked at a modest 46 on 2/21, 45 on the 24th, plus 3 days at 42.  For the 2 weeks 2/11-24, temps averaged 32.7 which was 3.5° BN, with no day more than +2.  Cities and airports aren't all that great for retaining snow.  ;) 

Edit, for BrianW (as the home energy discussion seems to have moved, appropriately, to the banter thread):  Looks like "efficiency" isn't for energy itself (impossible under 2nd Law) but for energy cost compared to the cheapest "traditional" alternative. 

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Are you Greta Thunberg's dad?

How long do solar panels last? What is the replacement cost, where do the discarded Hazmat panels go. You have to take the entire stream into account when determining carbon budget.  It isn't as black and white as political cronies say. But banter

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

BWI numbers for 12/25,26/09 - they had 18" on 19-20:

12/25:  42   19   .73     0     6   (Probably measured at noon - many stations do - as they were down to 8" on the 24th.)
12/26:  52   40  1.02   0     0

Feb. 2010 may have been even worse.  BWI had 44.5" Feb. 5-10, recorded 34" on 2/11, and by 2/24 it was down to trace.  No big RA, total for 11-24 only 0.31" and temp peaked at a modest 46 on 2/21, 45 on the 24th, plus 3 days at 42.  For the 2 weeks 2/11-24, temps averaged 32.7 which was 3.5° BN, with no day more than +2.  Cities and airports aren't all that great for retaining snow.  ;) 

Sun angle gets pretty brutal down in DC/BWI area by mid/late February. It's the equivalent of an early March sun angle here...and probably 2nd week of March where you are. So it starts eating that snow pretty quick.

27 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Drove up it in October, minus my kid getting altitude sickness 3/4 of the way up it was a fun experience.....

How does anyone get altitude sickness at such a low altitude?  Commercial airliners pressurize at roughly the height of the mount Washington summit.

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

How does anyone get altitude sickness at such a low altitude?  Commercial airliners pressurize at roughly the height of the mount Washington summit.

Motion sickness I could see. That's a very windy road. Altitude sickness is a bit harder to countenance, but who knows. Maybe the kid has a sensitivity to edema. 

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

He was 17 months at the time, my 2 older kids were in the process of complaining about their ears popping and he decided to launch his lunch all over his seat instead, so who knows if that was what it really was....but he sure was fine the rest of the trip

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I usually get one chase in during the winter and tropical seasons so maybe this is it. Though there is the risk of a nice day whenever I make the trip lol. I REALLY enjoyed chasing LES last year. 

The drive itself was an adventure, beautiful fall day at the base, windy and frigid at the summit. Peak foliage season made it even better....

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

No I don’t think so?   No transportation goes up there in winter by way of the road.  Unless you’re going up in a tucker snow cat for the weather station, or on what they call an edu-trip with the observatory.  

Of course you can hike on foot up there anytime you want...

Only $1099 for an overnight stay

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

He was 17 months at the time, my 2 older kids were in the process of complaining about their ears popping and he decided to launch his lunch all over his seat instead, so who knows if that was what it really was....but he sure was fine the rest of the trip

Green carrots and apple sauce puke? Will and Scooter can relate

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sun angle gets pretty brutal down in DC/BWI area by mid/late February. It's the equivalent of an early March sun angle here...and probably 2nd week of March where you are. So it starts eating that snow pretty quick.

Even earlier.  When I was at Hopkins we had 2 very cold snowstorms totaling 20-25" Jan. 26-30, 1966, with pack reported as 17" on 1/31.  It was gone after the 2/12-13 warm RA, but had already slipped to 3" by 2/9 despite the period 2/1-9 with avg temps 31/14, or 12.4° BN and even another 2.7" of powder on 2/1-2.

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

GFS and GGEM don't have any semblance of a storm at that time and Ukie doesn't go out that far.  I see a weak s/w in the Plains at 144hr..

And they very well may not see anything until a day or two from now, or it could be the 26th, or the Euro may not be correct. It’s always complicated when it’s a split flow regime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I actually need to get up to Mt. Washington someday. Could I take the cog to the top on an extreme wx day? :weenie:

I've been on the summit with hurricane force winds and even stood on top of the little crows nest fully exposed to the wind.  Made me appreciate just how powerful a minimal hurricane really is!

Here's a video I took going up (there's also one going down) but this will give you an idea in ideal weather conditions:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I remember the first time flying into Denver at 5280' and noticing the altitude.  I could see a combination of the motion, the road and altitude of 6,288' causing some discomfort in some.