Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

-4 and I’m lucky enough to my burner motor sh*t the bed. House is down to 60 and the repair man can’t get here until 8:00

My fears with an older boiler here too, Already had to replace the Honeywell triple aquastat for the second time in 18 mos 4 weeks ago,( had no heat) at $600 a pop, Going to be going to a new boiler next summer.

1995's November into depths of December Holiday season was vastly superior to this, by comparison.  

The issue isn't 'snow on the ground' - though all subjective opinions into a blend, divided by n-complaints ..  certainly snow on the grounds plays a role in how this year's, and others, are Holiday-grace judged. 

However, only plays a part. It's not enough. To content post as though otherwise snow on the ground is it, that's bargaining or something.  We are 'suffering' too many interceding intervals of 'threat' to said snow pack, and have also verified too many of these Miller A rainers.  Also, times when synoptically ( like Xmas week, although the blocking in Canada may tamp that down..) the whole-scale wants to cold roll-out back into a continental warmth. These taint this away from the better graded Holiday season Currier&Ives appeal.  That's fair.  I'd give this a C ... C+ in an instant of forgiving bi-polar elation... but, since this is a kitchy play-in to the insanity missive anyway ( :) ) I will add that if Xmas ends up bare ground, with mere glacial remnant snow packs concreting the edges of streets and parking lots, this sucker goes D- in a real f'n hurry.  It's on "thin ice"  

I would pose the subjective argument that it doesn't even have to snow that often in the given judgement. If our region can avoid the Miller A rainers,  avoid the Rosby roll-out warm assaults and say ... only snows twice with enough cold for protection, that's a solid B or even B+ grade improvement right there.  A's are just rare here...too rare.. but, 1995-'96 was an A+ and is - for me - the apex metric against which all butt-soreness is either redeemed, or cast into the much bigger garbage heap of history seasons.   

• Thanks 1

Just listen to my love by the guy in Connecticut. He said we're not going to get into that real warm sector that they're going to have in the midwest. Will be on the edge, so the highest will get to the mid-40s by Monday Tuesday and Wednesday come and then they will drop back with a Chance of some snow on Thursday. Is also a chance with bigger storm the end of the weekend. He did mention things will be changing for January too cold and stormy a month. I'd rather it be, for the holiday as well just listen to my local by the guy in Connecticut. He said we're not going to get to that real warm sector that they're going to have in the Midwest. Will be on the edge, so the high as well get to the mid forties by Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, then they will drop back with a Chance of some snow on Thursday. Is also a chance would bigger storm the end of the weekend. He did mention things will be changing per January too cold or and stormy a month. I'd rather it be calm for the holiday as well. That's why I'm traveling to do

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, dryslot said:

My fears with an older boiler here too, Already had to replace the Honeywell triple aquastat for the second time in 18 mos 4 weeks ago,( had no heat) at $600 a pop, Going to be going to a new boiler next summer.

You guys up north need to put in some cold climate heat pump mini splits. I think VT has incentives and rebates for them. The technology is incredible now. My units put out full heat down to -18 and 79 percent at -30.  I installed 2 and have been heating my entire house with them. I still use my oil furnace once in awhile but have saved a fortune on not buying oil. Way more reliable than oil furnaces as well.

I cut down my oil use by like 90 percent. I have only used 20 gallons so far this winter. 

They are also free to run via my solar panels and net metering.

Screenshot_20191220-092339_Smart Oil.jpg

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

My boiler was installed in March 2001. There was so much snow they couldn’t get the big old one out of the basement and had to leave it until the bulkhead was clear. I figured the entire burner would have to be replaced but it was just the motor. Took him about 15 minutes. 

4 minutes ago, BrianW said:

You guys up north need to put in some cold climate heat pump mini splits. The technology is incredible now. My units put out full heat down to -18 and 79 percent at -30.  I installed 2 and have been heating my entire house with them. I still use my oil furnace once in awhile but have saved a fortune on not buying oil. Way more reliable than oil furnaces as well.

I cut down my oil use by like 90 percent. I have only used 20 gallons so far this winter. 

Going with a Buderus Boiler, They're the most efficient boiler out there, Still need a hot water source if you go with heat pumps.

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

My boiler was installed in March 2001. There was so much snow they couldn’t get the big old one out of the basement and had to leave it until the bulkhead was clear. I figured the entire burner would have to be replaced but it was just the motor. Took him about 15 minutes. 

Did that a few years back on mine, That's not a big job.

7 minutes ago, BrianW said:

You guys up north need to put in some cold climate heat pump mini splits. I think VT has incentives and rebates for them. The technology is incredible now. My units put out full heat down to -18 and 79 percent at -30.  I installed 2 and have been heating my entire house with them. I still use my oil furnace once in awhile but have saved a fortune on not buying oil. Way more reliable than oil furnaces as well.

They are also free to run via my solar panels and net metering.

I would love to but I’m not ready to spend that money yet. 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Nope, Going with a Buderus Boiler, They're the most efficient boiler out there, Still need a hot water source if you go with heat pumps.

I had a heat pump water heater installed a couple of years ago when the tank that came off the boiler sprung a leak. It works well and doesn’t use nearly as much electricity as a standard water heater. 

Just now, mreaves said:

I had a heat pump water heater installed a couple of years ago when the tank that came off the boiler sprung a leak. It works well and doesn’t use nearly as much electricity as a standard water heater. 

Going with the cast iron boiler, It will be the last one i have to replace, You can't beat german technology when it comes to heating with a boiler.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Nope, Going with a Buderus Boiler, They're the most efficient boiler out there, Still need a hot water source if you go with heat pumps.

I have a heat pump water heater that is 380% efficient. It absolutely destroys an 85% oil furnace and is powered by my solar panels.

Brookline MA recently banned fossil fuels on new construction. Heat pumps are where we are headed as they can be run 100 percent on renewable energy. The rest of the world has been using them for decades, especially Japan where mininsplits were invented.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Going with the cast iron boiler, It will be the last one i have to replace, You can't beat german technology when it comes to heating with a boiler.

We've got an LP baxi on-demand that has been flawless for the last 7yrs. ~93% efficient. Hardly hear it running and super low maintenance.