Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You melted 26 inches in 5 days? That's brutal.

Snowfall retention in that area is terrible, plus the rainstorm afterwards, in a small way reminded me of the blizzard of 96...Definitely do not want to experience melting like that again, it did sort of make up for it in February of course..

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

That bomb of a storm in the plains that gave Oklahoma City like 2 feet on 12/24/09 pretty much torched the MA and then gave them rain. I thought they had a snow pack still on 12/25 though.  I was at Skins/Giants on 12/22 and there was plenty of snow down there still 

Yeah I remember the cutter...but it didn't hit until 12/26...might have started in the M.A. on the night of 12/25.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That bomb of a storm in the plains that gave Oklahoma City like 2 feet on 12/24/09 pretty much torched the MA and then gave them rain. I thought they had a snow pack still on 12/25 though.  I was at Skins/Giants on 12/22 and there was plenty of snow down there still 

We had snow piles left, but snow on the ground was only found in shady locations by Christmas morning....

50 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

How much did you pay for everything. 

The tanks are like $1000-1200 but 6 years ago Eversource had a 1000$ rebate on them. I installed it myself so it cost me out of pocket like $300 or so. They are basically a dehumidifier as well so if you run one it eliminates needing to run one. 

Looks like the rebate is still available and is $750 so you can basically get one as the same cost as a regular electric tank. I monitored mine with an electric meter and it cost about 7-10$ a month to run. If you use oil for hot water your savings will be astronomical. In heat pump only mode they ise about 50-75  percent less electricity than a regular electric tank.

https://www.energizect.com/your-home/solutions-list/energy-star®-heat-pump-water-heater-rebate

6 minutes ago, BrianW said:

The tanks are like $1000-1200 but 6 years ago Eversource had a 1000$ rebate on them. I installed it myself so it cost me out of pocket like $300 or so. They are basically a dehumidifier as well so if you run one it eliminates needing to run one. 

Looks like the rebate is still available and is $750 so you can basically get one as the same cost as a regular electric tank. I monitored mine with an electric meter and it cost about 7-10$ a month to run. If you use oil for hot water your savings will be astronomical. In heat pump only mode they ise about 50-75  percent less electricity than a regular electric tank.

https://www.energizect.com/your-home/solutions-list/energy-star®-heat-pump-water-heater-rebate

Sorry I meant everything.  Solar etc.

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That looks like Christmas should, nice. IMO the depth is largely irrelevant once you can’t see the grass.  

And to me a "white Christmas" means snow OG - some folks, by their posts, appear to think it means snowstorm on 12/25, which is a much rarer phenomenon. 
To wit (snows 2"+ on 12/25):

NNJ:  One for 20+, final 6 of a 10" event ,but nearly done by 12/25 sunrise.  The 12/24/6 thundersnow ended a bit after midnight.
BGR:  Zero for 3
Fort Kent: 2 for 9.  '78 was nice, 1st half of a 16.5" dump.  '79 was 32-33° slop, never colored the tar nor accumulated in daylight.
Gardiner:  Zero for 13
New Sharon:  One of 21 (prob will reach 22 next week)  Cum. snowfall for 12/25 here is 9.7" and 8.0 came on 12/25/17.
Four out of nearly 70 on Christmas Day.
Snow cover 1"+ is much better.  No NNJ numbers, but 2/3 BGR;  9/9 FK;  8/13 Gard.;  18/21 NS, so 37 of 46 in Maine vs. 3/46 with 2"+ on 12/25.  80.4% vs. 6.5%

Returning to the 1995 solstice storm:  Had 17.5 of 16:1 snow in Gardiner, biggest snow of 13 winters there, first time I saw snow rollers.  (Kinda sad that my central Maine home couldn't produce even one 18"+ event 1985-97, though the co-op at the water company recorded 19" from my 17.5" event.)

8 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Thanks. I’ve been meaning to separate my water heating from my oil. This is the way to go. 

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thanks. I’ve been meaning to separate my water heating from my oil. This is the way to go. 

I installed one at my Moms and the payback was like a few months from switching  from burning a gallon or 2 a day in heating oil. Most oil hot water boilers cycle all day and the stanbdy losses are massive.

If you havent got one yet I recommend you get the energy audit done as well. They install insulation, air sealed my ducts, installed weather striping, led bulbs, etc. There is a surcharge for energy efficiency on everyones electric bill that pays for all this stuff but nobody uses it. I am probably close to like 8k in free energy efficient upgrades I did through energize CT on my house. 

Those in Massachusetts have some of the nations best incentives/rebates available as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I actually need to get up to Mt. Washington someday. Could I take the cog to the top on an extreme wx day? :weenie:

No I don’t think so?   No transportation goes up there in winter by way of the road.  Unless you’re going up in a tucker snow cat for the weather station, or on what they call an edu-trip with the observatory.  

Of course you can hike on foot up there anytime you want...

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, I just looked it up and it’s $1100 for a winter visit and overnight stay. I wouldn’t make a habit of winter visits but I’d drop that cash with zero reservations for that kind of experience. 

And the day you book just happens to be an inversion with mid 30s, no winds and fog

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

I have a heat pump water heater that is 380% efficient. It absolutely destroys an 85% oil furnace and is powered by my solar panels.

Brookline MA recently banned fossil fuels on new construction. Heat pumps are where we are headed as they can be run 100 percent on renewable energy. The rest of the world has been using them for decades, especially Japan where mininsplits were invented.

How is that 380% efficiency measured?  Several years of physics classes (long ago) told me that, unless Newton's 2nd Law of Thermodynamics has been repealed, even 100% is impossible.

2nd question:  Does snow fall off the solar panels without your help?  If not, how to the panels perform when snow covered?

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

How is that 380% efficiency measured?  Several years of physics classes (long ago) told me that, unless Newton's 2nd Law of Thermodynamics has been repealed, even 100% is impossible.

2nd question:  Does snow fall off the solar panels without your help?  If not, how to the panels perform when snow covered?

I can answer the second question.  Snow doesn't fall off the panels on my roof, which I think is a 2/12 pitch.  They do not perform with a lot of snow on them and I am too chicken to try and clear them off.  I get calls from the company in winter asking if I have lost my wi fi signal because they can't detect any activity.

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Lay off the Wine in the morning Minster...Winter hasn’t even officially began, and the heart of winter is mid /late Jan through mid/late Feb.

Yeah I don't know about that....to me Christmas to the end of January is the heart. Once you get into mid February the sun angle really chews the snow and 80 degrees is possible like a few years ago

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We had minisplits in our prior house.  Removed the oil tank and burner.  But the electric bill kind of made up for it and thensome.  Gas now.  Expensive also.  Solar is the way to go and once technology advances a bit more  we won’t have those hideous roof panels.

My burner man did not recommend switching to gas like i was considering doing as well, he said it would cost more to heat.